Weak 7: Giants at the Eagles

ninjapirate

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

What is the Eagles starting offense going to look like this week?

In theory.

QB: Wentz
RB: Boston Scott
WR: Travis Fulgham
WR: Greg Ward
WR: DeSean Jackson (supposedly coming back this week, but far from confirmed)
TE: Richard Rodgers
LT: Jordan Mailata
LG: Nate Herbig
C Jason Kelce
RG: Jamon Brown (Maybe Matt Pryor is healthy)
RT: Jack Driscoll (Maybe Lane Johnson is healthy)

Compared to our fully healthy lineup:

QB: Wentz
RB: Miles Sanders
WR: Jalen Reagor
WR: Alshon Jeffery
WR: DeSean Jackson
TE: Dallas Goedert/Zach Ertz
LT: Andre Dillard
LG: Isaac Seumalo
C : Jason Kelce
RG: Brandon Brooks
RT: Lane Johnson

Fulgham and Greg Ward would also be in the mix at receiver and good depth.

38 minutes ago, BugzBunny101 said:

Drafting reagor over Justin Jefferson is another comical drafting decision by the FO, makes me so angry. 

Justin Jefferson would be Nelson Agholor here. It doesn't matter. Not to mention Jalen Reagor is a better fit for what we were missing. No reason to write off Reagor just because another dude has been getting fed in garbage time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Danger said:

Justin Jefferson would be Nelson Agholor here. It doesn't matter. Not to mention Jalen Reagor is a better fit for what we were missing. No reason to write off Reagor just because another dude has been getting fed in garbage time.

This is my favorite excuse that this board comes up with - "he would suck here". It happens every single year; just seems like it's poor talent evaluation/scouting, rather then players just flat out sucking here.

He's on pace to be the best rookie WR of all time right now and he certainly looks like he's going to be the best WR from the draft. 

Edited by Scalamania

1 minute ago, Scalamania said:

This is my favorite excuse that this board comes up with - "he would suck here". It happens every single year; just seems like it's poor talent evaluation/scheme, rather then players just flat out sucking here.

He's on pace to be the best rookie WR of all time right now and he certainly looks like he's going to be the best WR from the draft. 

It's true though. What I'm trying to suggest is that it's not the fact that we took Reagor which is the problem. Reagor would probably be putting up similar numbers in Minnesota in my humble opinion, while Jefferson's impact would be substantially less with the Eagles.

Our coaches suck, and we don't put our players in position to succeed. Ever. We just force things to be be done the way we've always done them. We don't adapt, we don't alter our scheme to enable greatness. "This is the way we do it." To our own detriment.

It doesn't matter who we take as long as this coaching staff is still here, they won't succeed under Doug and Jim.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

It's true though. What I'm trying to suggest is that it's not the fact that we took Reagor which is the problem. Reagor would probably be putting up similar numbers in Minnesota in my humble opinion, while Jefferson's impact would be substantially less with the Eagles.

Our coaches suck, and we don't put our players in position to succeed. Ever. We just force things to be be done the way we've always done them. We don't adapt, we don't alter our scheme to enable greatness. "This is the way we do it." To our own detriment.

It doesn't matter who we take as long as this coaching staff is still here, they won't succeed under Doug and Jim.

To further elaborate. It's clear that there's a constantly evolving meta amongst teams in the NFL, and our staff is always behind the curve, instead of trying to go with what works, they just continue to go with what has worked for them before. Meanwhile every successful team in the NFL makes changes based off of what DOES work in the current NFL. 

Last few years the meta on offense has been moving more towards play action, speed, and getting the QB in space. On defense keeping the offense guessing by having motion and making it hard to tell what the defense is actually running. 

Jim and Doug don't do any of this. We're still stuck with what worked for them in 2017. The only adaption we've seen is Jim has shown a bit more inclination to blitz to compensate for his front 4 not being quite as dominant. But this leaves more holes in the zone. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Danger said:

I actually like Reagor but there is not denying that Jefferson is (and was at the time of the draft) the more talented wide receiver. I also think that Jefferson would do well here, whether it was on the outside or the slot. 

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

This has been the narrative for years, probably a decade - this whole "they would suck here" thing has been going on well before Doug and Jim took over. The only consistent thing during that time is Howie Roseman, which goes back to poor scouting and poor talent evaluation.