Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

34 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Look man, what are people's hopes for Mac Jones honestly? That's what it comes down to. I think he's a good college player but I suspect his ceiling is Kirk Cousins in the league. I don't think you want to draft Kirk Cousins to help turn around a rebuilding team. That capital is much better spent elsewhere.

Yeah, I think a healthy Jimmy G or Kirk Cousins are probably your most likely good outcome. Might be worth gambling next year. There are some interesting QBs. Question is who the Patriots sign to start this year. (I'd also consider drafting Davis Mills on Day 2 if I were them.)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

I just question whether they could do better than Mac Jones next year in the draft. I think it's pretty questionable. So, would you rather miss this year or next...when you might be drafting even lower and with a worse draft class? As the lotto says, "you can't win if you don't play".

Is Mac Jones better than Spencer Rattler or Sam Howell?  No but for the Patriots to get them they would have to be picking in the top 3 picks in the draft next year, so what a 3 win season or something for that?

Is Mac Jones better than Kedon Slovis?  With Slovis and how erratic he was last year and his injury issues, yeah probably especially right now.  Is Mac Jones better than Brock Purdy, yeah, JT Daniels, yeah, Phil Jurkovec, yeah, Desmond Ridder, yeah,  and Matt Corral?  Probably yeah.  Corral is the only maybe not because his arm talent but still has to prove it again this next season without Moore at WR, he has a high upside though.

Mac Jones is super competitive, has a good personality, throws a very accurate football, is smart, intelligent and knows how to run and offense very well.  The kid played great this past year and just because some think he is not a 1st round talent, fact is if a team got him in the 2nd they would think they got a steal.  Same with Kyle Trask.  Mac can play football at a high level and no reason to believe he will be just some awful pro.  Is he Patrick Mahomes yeah of course not but his pocket mechanics, pocket awareness, ability to process information and get the football to the correct receiver is impressive.  

Patriots I think go with him because what is your other option, Stidham?  Clearly they have little faith in him, maybe they want to ride with Cam another season and get him on the cheap again sure.  But even then, doubt they pick top 3 in the draft next year anyway so was it really worth the wait.  He seems to fit the Patriots system well, not needing a super athletic QB, can spread the ball around and does not need to throw it 50 times a game to be successful.  Sure they would love Trey Lance but doubt that will happen.  

6 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Look man, what are people's hopes for Mac Jones honestly? That's what it comes down to. I think he's a good college player but I suspect his ceiling is Kirk Cousins in the league. I don't think you want to draft Kirk Cousins to help turn around a rebuilding team. That capital is much better spent elsewhere.

I think Kirk Cousins is a giant reach for Jones, one he might need a step stool to touch.  Cousins did more with less in college and had a longer track record doing it.  

Cousins ain't in that top tier, but if you can draft a Cousins, you should be happy to do so.  I don't think Jones is that.

6 hours ago, offbyone said:

Cousins ain't in that top tier, but if you can draft a Cousins, you should be happy to do so.  I don't think Jones is that.

I think there is some validity to this statement - especially if you walk away with a Cousins that might have a better head on his shoulders (or less prone to the mental lapses). 

8 hours ago, offbyone said:

I think Kirk Cousins is a giant reach for Jones, one he might need a step stool to touch.  Cousins did more with less in college and had a longer track record doing it.  

This is a fair take, MSU's teams weren't the most talented teams while he was there, his receiving corps were horrible compared to what Jones had to work with (Not that its Jones's fault either)

I honestly get a strong Ken Dorsey vibe from Mac Jones, just a Saks Fifth Ave version

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 1

On 2/23/2021 at 8:13 AM, sammymvpknight said:

Can you explain that rationale? Will they only draft a QB when a better team is around that QB? Because QB is a pretty big need for the Pats, they rarely draft this high, and if you don’t have a QB...you lose. 

Because it's better to not draft a QB then to draft the wrong one.  IF you draft the wrong one, you've committed to them for at least the next 2-3 years.  See the Bears.

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Because it's better to not draft a QB then to draft the wrong one.  IF you draft the wrong one, you've committed to them for at least the next 2-3 years.  See the Bears.

Nobody intends to draft the wrong QB. Of course the Pats aren’t going to get a QB that they don’t think is a good QB. But at some point you can’t win if you don’t play. They could get lucky and land another QB not drafted in the first round. That’s possible. But more than likely they will get their next franchise QB through a 1st round pick or (less likely) free agency. They are always drafting in the back half of drafts...there is no guarantee that there will be a QB with a grade as good as Jones available in the 2nd half of the first round any time soon. That’s my only point. Assuming Jones has the grade...why not? They may not be able to do better in their circumstances. As a Saints fan I’m in the same exact place. 

Edited by sammymvpknight

12 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Nobody intends to draft the wrong QB. Of course the Pats aren’t going to get a QB that they don’t think is a good QB. But at some point you can’t win if you don’t play. They could get lucky and land another QB not drafted in the first round. That’s possible. But more than likely they will get their next franchise QB through a 1st round pick or (less likely) free agency. They are always drafting in the back half of drafts...there is no guarantee that there will be a QB with a grade as good as Jones available in the 2nd half of the first round any time soon. That’s my only point. Assuming Jones has the grade...why not? They may not be able to do better in their circumstances. As a Saints fan I’m in the same exact place. 

Except you're advocating doing exactly what they shouldn't be doing.  IF you're not convinced he's your franchise QB, you don't take him.  You don't draft someone with the hope they'll exceed your expectations.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BowlesDawgDX said:

Could you expand on this? Just curious

B.J. Cunningham    
Keshawn Martin

Those were Cousins' two top receivers in his Junior and Senior year.  

He did have Bell there running the ball and catching a few passes, but not during bell's breakout senior season.

But compare that to: 

Harris
Devonta Smith
Waddle

Or the year before
Ruggs
Jeudy
Waddle
Harris

Those are just skill players.  

2 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I honestly get a strong Ken Dorsey vibe from Mac Jones, just a Saks Fifth Ave version

Yeah I don't see Mac Jones being very good. He's no better than Jake Fromm was last year. I don't hate either as prospects, but I've seen Jones being placed in the top 10 of some mock drafts. That seems insane to me! I don't know if I'd take him over Trask, to be honest. I think Trask at least has a little more size and played with a little less ridiculous cast of characters.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Have a feeling a lot of crow is going to be served in regards to Mac Jones in the next couple years. Outside of athleticism and a cannon arm, he possesses so many quality traits to be a good QB at the next level.

How many QB's do you know have been successful without a good arm or athleticism? There are definitely a few, but those guys are very much anomalies rather than the norm. Tom Brady and Drew Brees (who has a much stronger arm and used to have some athleticism) will be used as examples, but that's about it.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Please. Washington went so far as to draft a QB that no one else on the team was committed to BEFORE the season. Sup Dwayne?

• Like 1