Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

1 hour ago, VanS said:

This is why I called him a poor man's Cam.  He has less physical tools and the same accuracy/processing issues.  I don't see what you see in Fields as a passer. 

Fields has his flaws. Accuracy isn't one of them.

• Like 3

Yeah I don't get the Newton/Fields comparison.  Fields is much more accurate and more consistently at that, whereas Newton was a lot more willing to use his athleticism (on top of flat out being a better athlete) to give himself the edge.  Like someone said earlier, Fields can be the better pocket passer but turn out to be a less impactful player than Cam has/been.  Either way it is a blind comparison at best.  

If anything, I would say Lance compares more favorably to Cam than Fields does.  Lance is a lot more careful with the ball though.  I'm not sure Lance will have similar running success in the NFL though.  Newton had extremely good COD, even more-so when you consider he was 6'5/250lbs, and more powerful.  So a McNabb comparison probably isn't too far off, I think his game will be closer to that than Newton's.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1

On 4/30/2021 at 9:08 AM, iknowcool said:

Yeah I don't get the Newton/Fields comparison.  Fields is much more accurate and more consistently at that, whereas Newton was a lot more willing to use his athleticism (on top of flat out being a better athlete) to give himself the edge.  Like someone said earlier, Fields can be the better pocket passer but turn out to be a less impactful player than Cam has/been.  Either way it is a blind comparison at best.  

If anything, I would say Lance compares more favorably to Cam than Fields does.  Lance is a lot more careful with the ball though.  I'm not sure Lance will have similar running success in the NFL though.  Newton had extremely good COD, even more-so when you consider he was 6'5/250lbs, and more powerful.  So a McNabb comparison probably isn't too far off, I think his game will be closer to that than Newton's.

Fields is nowhere close to Newton like @VanS is saying lol

The best comp I have for Fields is either 1) a better Dak Prescott and/or 2) a more precise and accurate Josh Allen.

He has a lot of the same characteristics as Josh Allen, he is just coming into the league with far better accuracy and 'touch' on his throws. Fields can make a lot of pinpoint touch throws that Allen wasnt able to

On 5/5/2021 at 10:31 AM, SteelKing728 said:

In case Minnesota has a Kirkmergency, who is the best in the 2022 QB class to be any good?

We got Kellen Mond? One year of development and he could be ready to compete. To me, best case scenario for MIN is Kellen looks good in training camp this year & thru out preseason enough to convince MIN he could be ready next year. Then next offseason they can clear 35 million in cap IF they can find a trade suitor for Kirk. Then the OL should be set, weapons will be in their prime (Cook, Irv, JJ, Thielen, IMS maybe) and defense should be steady. So its really an ideal situation for Mond or any QB to step into. They could invest the extra money from Cousins to stack the roster. And would still have 3 years of Mond of a dirt cheap deal. 

But, with that said. Id say its a long shot that happens. And we will likely be looking for a QB next year in round 1 if the right opportunity comes up. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 10:43 AM, NYRaider said:

Spencer Rattler looks like QB1.

Rattler, Corral, Howell, and Jayden Daniels have shown the sort of flashes of ability that could elevate them there. I haven't watched many of the others. 

EDIT: Jurkovec also has the physical talent.

Edited by jrry32

On 5/5/2021 at 12:37 PM, AkronsWitness said:

Fields is nowhere close to Newton like @VanS is saying lol

The best comp I have for Fields is either 1) a better Dak Prescott and/or 2) a more precise and accurate Josh Allen.

He has a lot of the same characteristics as Josh Allen, he is just coming into the league with far better accuracy and 'touch' on his throws. Fields can make a lot of pinpoint touch throws that Allen wasnt able to

Josh Allen is the most physically talented QB to enter the NFL since 2001.  Insane to compare Justin Fields to him.  Let alone claim Fields is a better version of him.

Your Dak Prescott comp makes more sense.  Stick to that one.

5 hours ago, VanS said:

Josh Allen is the most physically talented QB to enter the NFL since 2001.  Insane to compare Justin Fields to him.  Let alone claim Fields is a better version of him.

Your Dak Prescott comp makes more sense.  Stick to that one.

Justin fields is 6'4 and runs a 4.4 40 who can also throw 65 yard TD passes from his own 35 yard line.