Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

Just now, .Buzz said:

What do the Jaguars get for leaking Lawrence like they have, or NYJ for Wilson?

Because there's nothing to hide. This isn't picking at 6 and trying to secretly get a guy to fall. Whoever you say is essentially a done deal.

So the niners have to divulge this information why? 

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

I said it before in the niners forum, but the worst part of the Mac thing isn't drafting Mac. I mean, I think he'll be fine with Shanny. He won't be great or anything, but he'd be fine. Shanny likely won't let him fail. 

But the things people are saying, the reasoning they are giving? The reports they are offering? Just bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuutal from just a standpoint of evaluating what they are saying. Mike Tannenbaum on 49ers talk was almost downright embarrassing (he said that kyle had a chance to get his matt schaub at one point...and at another said they wanted someone that "won't screw up"). It was rough. 

You just described Jimmy G. Mac Jones potential is a slightly better version of him. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Two are from the other teams, the other as noted, and the other is unidentified.

He seriously has a source that flat out says only the 9ers know and that he's hearing Lance. 

It's all noise right now. 

It's draft season, it's always noise.

But that doesn't mean some of this that leaks out isn't true and/or worth the discussion. Which is all this is.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

So the niners have to divulge this information why? 

Who said they have to? The whole point is there's also zero downside. It's a done deal with whoever they want sans Lawrence/Wilson. So I'd say if something does actually get leaked there's a better chance of it being truthful.

Just now, .Buzz said:

Who said they have to? The whole point is there's also zero downside. It's a done deal with whoever they want sans Lawrence/Wilson. So I'd say if something does actually get leaked there's a better chance of it being truthful.

There's not zero downside. It gives your opponent information. It allows them to plan accordingly. That 100% is a downside. There's no reason to give teams more info. None. It harms them not at all just not to say anything and let people spiral in their talk 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

There's not zero downside. It gives your opponent information. It allows them to plan accordingly. That 100% is a downside. There's no reason to give teams more info. None. It harms them not at all just not to say anything and let people spiral in their talk 

Yeah I disagree. They're taking a QB, there's no secret there. Kyle even said the same thing in a presser that he doesn't have to hide who he loves/has serious interest in anymore since there's no one they have to worry about moving ahead of them for.

I really don't think the Falcons/Bengals/Dolphins have much care in the world with what SF does nor does SF care about their plans. If ATL loves a QB and said QB falls you take them, if not you go with your highest position player unless an offer comes in draft day. All of this is planned out months ahead of time/other teams already have things mapped out if things change.

If this was picking a bit further down I'd get it. But they just moved a haul and are essentially locked into #3. They're not entertaining offers/moving down if something crazy happens like they may have with a non-QB in past drafts ala the Bosa draft.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah I disagree. They're taking a QB, there's no secret there. Kyle even said the same thing in a presser that he doesn't have to hide who he loves/has serious interest in anymore since there's no one they have to worry about moving ahead of them for.

Well, Kyle also said that if you're drawing up your QB, you're taking the biggest, strongest, fastest, best from the pocket. That sound like Mac? Doesn't to me. Can't pick and choose what is relevant. 

So why didn't they do it in 2019? Nothing to hide, right? 2 days before the draft, when everyone knew the cards were taking Kyler: 

and yet

Matt Maiocco of NBC Sports Bay Area reported Paraag Marathe — President of 49ers Enterprises and Executive Vice President of Football Operations, as well as the team’s chief contract negotiator — had no qualms about informing Bosa’s agents of the Niners’ plans two months prior to the draft

So why are the niners playing that game? 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Well, Kyle also said that if you're drawing up your QB, you're taking the biggest, strongest, fastest, best from the pocket. That sound like Mac? Doesn't to me. Can't pick and choose what is relevant. 

So why didn't they do it in 2019? Nothing to hide, right? 2 days before the draft, when everyone knew the cards were taking Kyler: 

and yet

So why are the niners playing that game? 

Again, much different situation. Bosa is a DE and they just dealt a haul and a half to go up and get their guy this year. Had a haul come in back when Bosa was in their sights, I'm sure they would have been open to it with it not being a QB.

• Like 1

Just now, .Buzz said:

Again, much different situation. Bosa is a DE and they just dealt a haul and a half to go up and get their guy. Had a haul come in back when Bosa was in their sights, I'm sure they would have been open to it with it not being a QB.

That's one hell of an assumption 

And I'm not even arguing against the possibility of Mac at 3. I'm one who has largely accepted that as a real possibility from the start, even though I don't feel its likely. 

I'm simply criticizing the merit of the reporting that is going on. Its largely been click bait and  pretty far removed source wise. 

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

How?

That they were open to a trade with Bosa is 100% assumption, especially given how much they clearly wanted him. 

*Edit*

But even if that were the case, I feel like that'd give you more reason to advertise how much you love him