Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

1 minute ago, Forge said:

That they were open to a trade with Bosa is 100% assumption, especially given how much they clearly wanted him. 

I never said they were "open to it", but the lines I'm sure weren't cut off. And had someone offered a package that SF just gave up to get a QB I'm sure it would've been very much considered.

Guess I'll be alone on that island.

20 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I never said they were "open to it", but the lines I'm sure weren't cut off. And had someone offered a package that SF just gave up to get a QB I'm sure it would've been very much considered.

Guess I'll be alone on that island.

I mean, I don't think it's an unreasonable assumption, but the line of thinking is based on an assumption, and as I just edited, you'd think that if they were open to trading the pick, they'd want to advertise their love of Bosa right from jump to set the price high. Maybe that is me though. 

But everything and everyone is open for the right price. If Denver offered #9 plus 22 & 23 first + a third next year would the niners turn it down? I honestly can't say that for sure. With Carolina adding Darnold, maybe it changed the math for the 9ers and I like the chances of Denver's picks being pretty good in future years. So I think that the premise that the situation now is different than the situation with Bosa is faulty, to be honest. 

I need to be clear - my issue isn't with the idea of selecting Jones. I mean, everyone knows how I feel about the idea, but I've been pretty open acknowledging that it's a possibility. But this isn't about trying to fight an encroaching tidal wave. My issue is just reading these reports and how crazy they have been with no real support. There's this weird feeling like Chris Simms immediately went on after the trade, said he thought it was for Mac Jones and everyone just decided to hop on the groupthink under the belief of "well chris simms and kyle shanahan are besties, so it must be true!". Or the idea that because the niners may have taken him at 12, it immediately meant he was the most logical at 3. 

And to be fair, I have 100% been critical of those on the other side of this aisle trying to show how the pick clearly can't be Jones because of amazing conspiracy theory of the QB Collective focusing on Justin Fields the last two weeks on their website, or the Panthers trading for Darnold because they really wanted Fields / Lance, etc. It's been bad on *both* sides. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Forge said:

I mean, I don't think it's an unreasonable assumption, but the line of thinking is based on an assumption, and as I just edited, you'd think that if they were open to trading the pick, they'd want to advertise their love of Bosa right from jump to set the price high. Maybe that is me though. 

But everything and everyone is open for the right price. If Denver offered #9 plus 22 & 23 first + a third next year would the niners turn it down? I honestly can't say that for sure. With Carolina adding Darnold, maybe it changed the math for the 9ers and I like the chances of Denver's picks being pretty good in future years. So I think that the premise that the situation now is different than the situation with Bosa is faulty, to be honest. 

I need to be clear - my issue isn't with the idea of selecting Jones. I mean, everyone knows how I feel about the idea, but I've been pretty open acknowledging that it's a possibility. But this isn't about trying to fight an encroaching tidal wave. My issue is just reading these reports and how crazy they have been with no real support. There's this weird feeling like Chris Simms immediately went on after the trade, said he thought it was for Mac Jones and everyone just decided to hop on the groupthink under the belief of "well chris simms and kyle shanahan are besties, so it must be true!". Or the idea that because the niners may have taken him at 12, it immediately meant he was the most logical at 3. 

And to be fair, I have 100% been critical of those on the other side of this aisle trying to show how the pick clearly can't be Jones because of amazing conspiracy theory of the QB Collective focusing on Justin Fields the last two weeks on their website, or the Panthers trading for Darnold because they really wanted Fields / Lance, etc. It's been bad on *both* sides. 

Point is, it's still all fun and worthy discussion during the pre-draft process.

I don't think anyone thinks it's a lock right now. The draft process always has leaked inaccurate info. But there's also stuff that's said, especially a month prior, that ends up being true. Guess we'll see if this ends up being one of those or not.

The latest report from Breer said Shanny didn't even share his own evaluations with his assistant coaches, he just asked for theirs. 

Yet every report on us taking Jones is sourced from outside the building

If the majority of the people in the niners building dont even know who the pick is going to be, why would people from other teams know? I wouldn't be surprised if its just Shanny, Lynch, owner Jed York, & team president Paraag Marathe. Maybe Assistant GM Adam Peters.

I certainly believe the majority of the NFL THINKS we're picking Jones. But do they KNOW? Are their thoughts based off the type of QB Shanny has worked with before (Ryan, Cousins, Schaub, etc) or inside information? 

Just this offseason, Ian Rappaport & Matt Maiocco both doubted the Niners would trade up for a rookie QB. Peter King said the Niners were his "personal favourite' to trade for Sam Darnold. Yet another report just released today said while we did call the Jets about Sam, they weren't ready to trade Darnold at the time. So how were we the favourite? And then back in January, Schefter thought Darnold would be the teams starting QB.

So on one hand you do have a lot of credible people saying Jones. But on the other hand, nobody has sourced someone inside the building, and a few of these guys were already wrong at least once before this offseason.

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Point is, it's still all fun and worthy discussion during the pre-draft process.

I don't think anyone thinks it's a lock right now. The draft process always has leaked inaccurate info. But there's also stuff that's said, especially a month prior, that ends up being true. Guess we'll see if this ends up being one of those or not.

Yeah, and I'm not at all going to be shocked if he's the pick. I don't expect it, but people evaluate prospects differently (and after drafting beathard, I have ample reason to question shannys evaluations 😂😂) so it wouldn't shock me. 

People interpret things in different ways. Some view his pro day attendence as a key factor in why Mac is the choice. I don't give it any weight, but if I did, it's full on the other direction lol. 

I just think  the chatter this year has been really bad in terms of content, that's all (also reasonable to assume that I'm more sensitive to it because it's my team in a unique situation)

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Yeah, and I'm not at all going to be shocked if he's the pick. I don't expect it, but people evaluate prospects differently (and after drafting beathard, I have ample reason to question shannys evaluations 😂😂) so it wouldn't shock me. 

People interpret things in different ways. Some view his pro day attendence as a key factor in why Mac is the choice. I don't give it any weight, but if I did, it's full on the other direction lol. 

I just think the m the chatter this year has been really bad in terms of content, that's all

There's also this RE: facetime with the QB's 

Also find it interesting that a 2nd pro day has been set up for Fields...but nothing for Lance

My initial instinct was we traded up for Lance. I've see-sawed about a 100 different times since then on all 3 QB's. Ignoring the chatter, if i had to guess, still think the pick will be Lance

The niners were in on Darnold...Darnold is probably most similar to Mac Jones out of the guys that we could draft (thought that's like 53% comparable rating lol) 

Boom. Solved it (again).  I solved it the first time after the Carolina trade which can be viewed in the 9er forum. 

On 4/7/2021 at 3:38 PM, Forge said:

The niners were in on Darnold...Darnold is probably most similar to Mac Jones out of the guys that we could draft (thought that's like 53% comparable rating lol) 

Boom. Solved it (again).  I solved it the first time after the Carolina trade which can be viewed in the 9er forum. 

A lot of smoke screens at this time of the year. I'd be shocked if they passed on Fields/Lance for Jones.

11 hours ago, NYRaider said:

A lot of smoke screens at this time of the year. I'd be shocked if they passed on Fields/Lance for Jones.

I think it's highly unlikely they go Jones. N4L and I put money down that it will be Fields. I'm not 100%, but I feel pretty good about it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think it's highly unlikely they go Jones. N4L and I put money down that it will be Fields. I'm not 100%, but I feel pretty good about it. 

Fields is who I'd feel most comfortable with as a 49ers fan. Lance definitely has upside but he's raw and his last 5 games of tape weren't great in addition to only having like 16 starts against lower level competition. In terms of upside I'd compare Fields to Dak and Lance to Cam. 

7 hours ago, Forge said:

If Kyle Shanahan is the genius he thinks he is, he should pick Jones. Gotta prove to the world what you can do with a mediocre talent.