Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

"A whopping 58% of Jones’ dropbacks were RPOs, screens, or play action passes. That was the third-highest rate among eligible Power 5 quarterbacks (minimum 100 attempts) and can make evaluating Jones difficult, regardless of whether you choose to do so statistically or traditionally. While he might have been effective outside of this split (0.51 Total Points/Snap), 181 plays is not a lot to work with, especially considering how good his supporting cast at Alabama was."

In the top 10, I wouldn't touch him with YOUR draft pick, let alone mine

That article (worth a read) paints a stark picture of what Jones is;

Benefitted massively from situation and players around him, wasn't truly tested, had a QB-friendly approach to play calling and his arm isn't great.

However, he processes quickly, takes care of the ball and has a quick release. 

Doesn't sound top 10, but it does sound R1, IMO.

Edited by Hunter2_1

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

"A whopping 58% of Jones’ dropbacks were RPOs, screens, or play action passes. That was the third-highest rate among eligible Power 5 quarterbacks (minimum 100 attempts) and can make evaluating Jones difficult, regardless of whether you choose to do so statistically or traditionally. While he might have been effective outside of this split (0.51 Total Points/Snap), 181 plays is not a lot to work with, especially considering how good his supporting cast at Alabama was."

Benefitted massively from situation and players around him, wasn't truly tested, had a QB-friendly approach to play calling and his arm isn't great.

It's Andy Dalton.  That's not the worst thing in the world, Andy was a potential MVP in 2015 before his injury, but he needed basically everything working around him for that to come together and the peak was short.  At #3 overall?  Yikes.  Much more palatable outside of the top 10.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

What does anyone see in Mac Jones? Has he given reason to believe he possesses elite processing speed or something? 

Obviously there are a lot of factors that play into it but it was interesting that Waddle and Smith both said they preferred playing with Jones over Tua at Alabama. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

It's Andy Dalton.  That's not the worst thing in the world, Andy was a potential MVP in 2015 before his injury, but he needed basically everything working around him for that to come together and the peak was short.  At #3 overall?  Yikes.  Much more palatable outside of the top 10.

To be honest I think a lot of the Mac Jones pre-draft hype has been smoke screens as has a lot of the Justin Fields hate. If Jones doesn't go #3 overall I think he falls out of the top 10.

6 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I think that a lot of people fell in love with the production. I'm not a huge Mac fan but completing 75% of his passes with an 11.0 Y/A and 56 TD/7 INT is impressive. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think that a lot of people fell in love with the production. I'm not a huge Mac fan but completing 75% of his passes with an 11.0 Y/A and 56 TD/7 INT is impressive. 

Not a lot of air yards on that 11.0 Y/A.  A whoooooole lot of YAC

6 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

EDIT: nvm

Edited by ClutchDJ

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Burrow also went #1 last year.

4 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

Burrow also went #1 last year.

Burrow is a better athlete than either, and had a much larger air yards per completion.  Ran less RPO and screens, and had better accuracy ratings downfield.

e14469ee3bd709e2f2b3d58abde90f00.jpg

vs

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSJNitKujCozQgz-hmbLfZ

Edited by THE DUKE
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Burrow is a better athlete than either, and had a much larger air yards per completion.  Ran less RPO and screens, and had better accuracy ratings downfield.

Mac Jones also stepped into one of the most talented and prolific offenses in college football history. Burrow helped elevate LSU from an above average offense into one of the greatest offenses we've ever seen. His 2019 season was arguably the greatest from a college QB ever. 

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Mac Jones also stepped into one of the most talented and prolific offenses in college football history. Burrow helped elevate LSU from an above average offense into one of the greatest offenses we've ever seen. His 2019 season was arguably the greatest from a college QB ever. 

Burrow had CEH, Chase, Justin Jefferson, Terrace Marshall Jr. and several OL who got drafted last year. That unit was loaded.

8 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

What does anyone see in Mac Jones? Has he given reason to believe he possesses elite processing speed or something? That's about the only attribute I could imagine him having that would warrant 1st round, let alone #3, talk (not that I see it, granted that is pretty hard to judge). He's clearly decisive and gets it out quick, but I mean he was also throwing to 1st round WRs behind one of CFB's best OLs. 

In an age of mobile QBs, he is a true statue. That alone is terrifying. Brady is just about the only statue left, and his all time great pocket presence (and excellent OLs) allows him to get away with it. His arm is below average, which right off the bat limits his ceiling. 

His "processing" is one of the single most overrated draft narratives I've ever heard lol 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

His "processing" is one of the single most overrated draft narratives I've ever heard lol 

There were videos last year of Burrow going from recognition to release in like .2 seconds on his third read, where are those videos for Mac?

Just now, Forge said:

Watching Shannon Sharpe's interview in a gym with Devonta Smith (I think it came out on Youtube yesterday, it's about an hour and a half long in a gym I think it was titled Club Sha Sha) Mac Jones texting Devonta Smith at 3am about things he saw on film is the type of thing that gives Jones a plus on things like processing to me. I don't think it's just some alien superpower that Mac Jones is just seeing defenses better than normal and making reads to super star WRs, what is happening is the guy has matured in a very structured environment. He went from kid dressing up as Obama with dreads, to freshman DUI, to capabale back up to starter that takes it very seriously and will put in the work needed to fight for a championship. Watching film to understand an opponent at 3am is a work ethic and understanding that will naturally lead to better processing that many NFL draft busts lack. The famous Jamarcus and a blank DVD story obviously doesn't apply here. It's not some kid skating through college on talent. There is a want that has lead to better decisions and maximizing his talent. He likely doesn't land where he was a Smith and Waddle and plus OL, but he has a drive to succeed that if he landed in a place with Trent Williams, Brandon Aiyuk, George Kittle and Deebo Samuel with another structured coach in Kyle... yeah I could see it working. It wouldn't be my choice, but I wouldn't knock the 49ers at all and some loaded word like processing is along the lines of the justification.

• Like 1