Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

I never saw burner speed from Fields at Ohio State. He looked like a 4.53 - 4.56 kind of guy (I know that's stupidly specific, but that's where I would have put him) on the field and that's probably what he would have been in Indy with a laser time, but I think he's also just one of those guys that times out faster than he plays. OSU had timed him in the 4.3s over the years (they love to really inflate their guy's 40 times) so I knew he was going to run fairly well. As others have said... he just doesn't have a ton of twitch / burst so it's hard to tell.

But no... he doesn't show 4.44 on the field IMO. But you're talking about a 6-3, 230 lb QB. Relatively speaking he's pretty freaky in that regard. 

Edited by BRANDON26841X

On 5/7/2021 at 5:34 PM, VanS said:

As a physical specimen, Justin Fields isn't in the same class as Trey Lance and Trevor Lawrence in his own draft class let alone someone like Josh Allen

Garbage. Pure, unadulterated garbage.

On 5/7/2021 at 6:34 PM, VanS said:

Do you like to lie intentionally or are you this willfully ignorant?  Justin Fields has never been listed at 6'4" by any official source.  In fact, at his recent pro day, he was officially listed at 6'2 6/8" (i.e. a hair below 6'3").  https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2938860-justin-fields-44-second-40-yard-dash-highlights-standout-pro-day-performance

Also there was no combine this year so we have no OFFICIAL times on how fast any of the players coming out truly are.  Anyone who has followed the draft in the past knows pro day times tend to be faster than the official times at the combine.  I would bet Justin Fields has more 4.5 speed than 4.4.

With that said, a 6'3" 227 lbs QB who can run 4.5 in the 40 in quite the specimen.  However, I don't rate players simply based on their measureables and athletic testing numbers.  I also watch film to see how the athleticism translates onto the field.  And I must say I have never been that impressed with Fields as an athlete.  He definitely tests like an elite athlete but I haven't seen it translate quite to that level in the game.

As a physical specimen, Justin Fields isn't in the same class as Trey Lance and Trevor Lawrence in his own draft class let alone someone like Josh Allen. 

This post was a whole bunch of nothing....

On 5/10/2021 at 9:51 AM, BRANDON26841X said:

I never saw burner speed from Fields at Ohio State. He looked like a 4.53 - 4.56 kind of guy (I know that's stupidly specific, but that's where I would have put him) on the field and that's probably what he would have been in Indy with a laser time, but I think he's also just one of those guys that times out faster than he plays. OSU had timed him in the 4.3s over the years (they love to really inflate their guy's 40 times) so I knew he was going to run fairly well. As others have said... he just doesn't have a ton of twitch / burst so it's hard to tell.

But no... he doesn't show 4.44 on the field IMO. But you're talking about a 6-3, 230 lb QB. Relatively speaking he's pretty freaky in that regard. 

He glides when he runs, similar to Cam Newton and Terrell Pryor. Hes not pumping his arms and slamming his head up and down like Peterson. I agree that it doesnt look like hes running that fast, but he runs effortlessly or 'naturally' 

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

On 5/10/2021 at 10:30 AM, G08 said:

Garbage. Pure, unadulterated garbage.

Trevor Lawrence has a much better arm and is mobile in his own right.  I said overall physical package not just running speed. 

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Davis Mills > Trevor Lawerence 

This might be true (it's not, but I'll humor you) but when David Culley is your HC and Tim Kelly is your OC, there's no way to expect anything outside of Tom Savage-levels of disaster.

It's like trying to dunk a basketball when you're sinking in quicksand - you could pull off some Vince Carter stuff on dry land, but the Texans are a swirling vortex of ruin right now - you're more likely to destroy your knees (which we know Mills does well).

1 hour ago, Eric dunn said:

Other than Cwood, does anyone else here think that Kellen Mond could be the QBOTF for the Vikings?

Curious to get some of yalls thoughts on him. Ive watched every throw from 2020 and i must say its a tough eval.  

I believe in Kellen Mond. He has a legit arm, pinpoint accuracy, and usable straight-line mobility. He does have accuracy issues at times that can lead to some bad misses, but there is definitely more good than bad.

I think he has Ryan Tannehill-type upside. I liked him better than Mac Jones.

• Like 1