Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

2 hours ago, Eric dunn said:

Other than Cwood, does anyone else here think that Kellen Mond could be the QBOTF for the Vikings?

Curious to get some of yalls thoughts on him. Ive watched every throw from 2020 and i must say its a tough eval.  

Also, it's hard to ignore Ainias Smith in that offense.

15 hours ago, Eric dunn said:

Other than Cwood, does anyone else here think that Kellen Mond could be the QBOTF for the Vikings?

Curious to get some of yalls thoughts on him. Ive watched every throw from 2020 and i must say its a tough eval.  

I don't really see him being much more than a back-up.  I suppose I see the upside that people are talking about, but I don't think he'll be able to put it all together.  Plus he looks really unnatural at times in the pocket, like his motions never seem to flow naturally.  It's like he is a robot, but not in a good way.  

I think he was a good pick in the 3rd round though, always nice to have a reliable back-up which I think he can turn into.  But not someone I ever see being a consistent starter.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 5:35 PM, Eric dunn said:

That's kinda my point when I've been critical about Mond.  What you see in college isn't anything to suggest that it's a future NFL starting QB, let alone a franchise one.  And if the Vikings do manage to develop him into one, that's a testament to the Vikings' coaching staff.  Very similar in the sense that Josh Allen's success is absolutely attributed to the coaching staff in Buffalo.

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

That's kinda my point when I've been critical about Mond.  What you see in college isn't anything to suggest that it's a future NFL starting QB, let alone a franchise one.  And if the Vikings do manage to develop him into one, that's a testament to the Vikings' coaching staff.  Very similar in the sense that Josh Allen's success is absolutely attributed to the coaching staff in Buffalo.

But there are flashes and there are tools to work with. That throw against Bama is unreal. I think his odds of being a starting QB are low, but i see a path where he is a starter for MIN in 1-2 years. The fact that he improved each season, i think says that he can continue to improve. How much i dont know. Especially playing against high level SEC competition. But i think the improvements were micro. Its like people were waiting for him to blow up as a JR & SR and he just stayed steadily improving. I think that's a reason why he slipped, he just never blew up. Footwork, mechanics, decision making, and deep ball accuracy are areas i think he still needs work in.   

Ultimately i think he likely gets a shot in 2022, assuming the Vikings trade Kirk after 2021. 

Edited by Eric dunn

I could definitely see Fields starting by Week 3 and winning ROTY. Not a dig on Lawrence, just that Bears roster is way more talented, I think they are a playoff team this season. ARob will certainly help Fields play as well, and being a dual-threat always helps rookies. 

I have Lance and Lawrence having the best overall careers of this QB class but I think Justin Fields or Ja’Marr Chase takes ROTY, and leaning Fields. Najee Harris and Lawrence are in the mix as well. 

43 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I could definitely see Fields starting by Week 3 and winning ROTY. Not a dig on Lawrence, just that Bears roster is way more talented, I think they are a playoff team this season. ARob will certainly help Fields play as well, and being a dual-threat always helps rookies. 

I have Lance and Lawrence having the best overall careers of this QB class but I think Justin Fields or Ja’Marr Chase takes ROTY, and leaning Fields. Najee Harris and Lawrence are in the mix as well. 

I could see Fields starting week one. Reminds me of when Carr was a rookie and we had just signed Matt Schaub but then Carr beat him in camp for the starting spot. Nagny and Pace know they're on their last leg to keep their jobs and Fields has the potential to make their offense much more dynamic than Dalton. 

On 5/21/2021 at 2:31 PM, NYRaider said:

I could see Fields starting week one. Reminds me of when Carr was a rookie and we had just signed Matt Schaub but then Carr beat him in camp for the starting spot. Nagny and Pace know they're on their last leg to keep their jobs and Fields has the potential to make their offense much more dynamic than Dalton. 

All he has to beat is a declining Dalton who turns 34 midseason.  If it looks even close in camp, you go with Fields and start a new era.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

All he has to beat is a declining Dalton who turns 34 midseason.  If it looks even close in camp, you go with Fields and start a new era.

And if he can't beat a declining Dalton, or at least make it close, start getting concerned about that pick 😂

• Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 3:35 PM, Eric dunn said:

I like Mond and think he has the tools to be a pretty good starter in the league. He ended up in a good situation with the Vikings.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2021 at 6:06 AM, THE DUKE said:

Yeah, Pace/Nagny know their necks are on the line this season so I expect Fields is the starter week 1 tbh. 

8 hours ago, mattyice0401 said:

I will leave this here.

Im not sure what the point of this post is. Its a bad throw, but im not sure how anyone could take anything from these minicamps. Good or bad. He makes a bad throw, so hes gonna bust? He makes a good throw, he's a future HOF? 

So id say lets see him in game action before we make any judgements. Im not rushing to his defense, he has a long ways to go before he's even a good backup. But im sure footwork, mechanics, and much more are going thru his mind right now. 

10 hours ago, Eric dunn said:

Im not sure what the point of this post is. Its a bad throw, but im not sure how anyone could take anything from these minicamps. Good or bad. He makes a bad throw, so hes gonna bust? He makes a good throw, he's a future HOF? 

So id say lets see him in game action before we make any judgements. Im not rushing to his defense, he has a long ways to go before he's even a good backup. But im sure footwork, mechanics, and much more are going thru his mind right now. 

Ive never missed a throw that badly in my years throwing the rock in backyard football, Thats straight up BAD. No pads, no pass rush, no defender and he misses that badly. Thats a QB that got drafted into the bigs lol And I know I am being over dramatic and being extremely critical gut gosh darn.