NYRaider

Official 2021 QB Thread

On 10/19/2020 at 6:52 PM, VanS said:

I really like Trey Lance.  I think Trevor Lawrence is too talented to fail.  And I'm lukewarm on Justin Fields. 

He has the physical tools for sure. I really didn't like his last 5 games of tape though. 

On 10/20/2020 at 8:40 AM, .Buzz said:

You don't sound like you're alone.

This surprised me a bit, not gonna lie.

Trey Lance is special.  He jumped out to me from the first tape I saw.  He's a big physically gifted athletic QB.  Guys like that don't flop in the league unless they have extremely poor intangibles.  To me he's a Steve McNair/Donovan McNabb clone.  He might never be the perfect pocket passet but he'll be an elite dual threat QB that leads his team to the playoffs almost every year. 

He'll be the Russell Wilson to Trevor Lawrence's Andrew Luck.  Lawrence will go #1 because of the hype and he will have a good career.  However, I believe Trey Lance will be better. 

16 hours ago, VanS said:

Trey Lance is special.  He jumped out to me from the first tape I saw.  He's a big physically gifted athletic QB.  Guys like that don't flop in the league unless they have extremely poor intangibles.  To me he's a Steve McNair/Donovan McNabb clone.  He might never be the perfect pocket passet but he'll be an elite dual threat QB that leads his team to the playoffs almost every year. 

He'll be the Russell Wilson to Trevor Lawrence's Andrew Luck.  Lawrence will go #1 because of the hype and he will have a good career.  However, I believe Trey Lance will be better. 

Lance needs to go to a team that can develop him. Not everyone can smooth out rough edges.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Lance needs to go to a team that can develop him. Not everyone can smooth out rough edges.

Minnesota seems to be tanking and can't move on from Kirk for 2 years, that'd probably be a nice spot for him.

7 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

Has BYU played anyone half decent?

No.

22 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

Has BYU played anyone half decent?

houston last week. wilson is the real deal. 

• Like 1

On 10/21/2020 at 11:36 PM, VanS said:

Let me introduce you to every Browns QB from the years 1999-2013.

Tim Couch, Kelly Holcomb, Charlie Frye, Brady Quinn, Brandon Weeden, Deshone Kizer, Derek Anderson

Edited by AkronsWitness

Start the 2022 QB thread because it's MERTZ SZN

• Like 1

On 10/21/2020 at 10:36 PM, VanS said:

I have a lot of trouble getting over just how much he was protected from ever throwing the ball.... And then trying to reason out why a guy with such arm talent on the highlight reels was never allowed to actually use that arm talent to take over a game. He's going to be asked to pass twice as much per game at the nfl level. 

He's the boom /bust prospect of this class for sure, because physically he's the most impressive prospect in the class, but I'm just not on board as of yet. 

Right now I've tentatively got Wilson as my qb #2, but I have concerns about his frame and durability (especially since he's already had throwing shoulder and throwing hand injuries). He appears to have a sharp mind and seems to go through his progressions fast, while showing some slight Mahomes like improv type plays. I don't have him anywhere near as high as I had Mahomes coming out, however. I think he's an ideal fit for Chicago right now, riding the pine behind Foles for a year and learning the game. They both process fast and get the ball out fast with similar arm talent, and moderately similar athleticism (Wilson being more mobile than a more pocket passer in Foles but not a serious running threat) 

• Like 1

On 10/22/2020 at 3:17 PM, WindyCity said:

Yes and No.  Great talents with the right intangibles have a way of eventually making it work.  However, a great organization can help a great talent reach their potential sooner.

On 10/23/2020 at 9:22 AM, AkronsWitness said:

Let me introduce you to every Browns QB from the years 1999-2013.

Tim Couch, Kelly Holcomb, Charlie Frye, Brady Quinn, Brandon Weeden, Deshone Kizer, Derek Anderson

The only guy who even remotely comes close to the sort of physical gifts I'm talking about is Kizer and he had extremely poor intangibles.  Its why I didn't like him at all as a prospect.  Including Kelly Holcomb and Bradon Weeden makes no sense. 

6 hours ago, Epyon said:

I have a lot of trouble getting over just how much he was protected from ever throwing the ball.... And then trying to reason out why a guy with such arm talent on the highlight reels was never allowed to actually use that arm talent to take over a game. He's going to be asked to pass twice as much per game at the nfl level. 

He's the boom /bust prospect of this class for sure, because physically he's the most impressive prospect in the class, but I'm just not on board as of yet. 

Right now I've tentatively got Wilson as my qb #2, but I have concerns about his frame and durability (especially since he's already had throwing shoulder and throwing hand injuries). He appears to have a sharp mind and seems to go through his progressions fast, while showing some slight Mahomes like improv type plays. I don't have him anywhere near as high as I had Mahomes coming out, however. I think he's an ideal fit for Chicago right now, riding the pine behind Foles for a year and learning the game. They both process fast and get the ball out fast with similar arm talent, and moderately similar athleticism (Wilson being more mobile than a more pocket passer in Foles but not a serious running threat) 

Trey Lance wasn’t being protected. That is just the NDSU offense. They use the run and out physical teams while playing tight defense. This is more or less the same offense that Carson Wentz came out of although that coordinator is now at Kstate. The new coordinator is a former running back for NDSU as well which leads him to lean on the run game a tad more. So this isn’t protecting Lance is just NDSU being NDSU and they won’t change until somebody makes them change.