Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

Just now, BrownLeader said:

C'mon... "not even remotely" ? Skill set, size and production are near identical. Rudolph's offense was simpler but both were/are mostly one read guys. Rudolph was getting 1st round discussion talk as well. 

There's a few similar rated guys with much better upside so even day 3 wouldn't really surprise me.

Trask isn't remotely a one read guy. Rudolph played in a gimmicky scheme that used a limited route tree and relied heavily on vertical passing in the Big 12. Mullen's scheme is a pro-style spread. Kyle makes full-field reads, goes through progressions, called the protections, and threw all over the field using NFL concepts. Rudolph and Brandon Weeden were very similar. Rudolph and Trask are not. Trask is significantly more advanced mentally and instinctually. Y'all are grasping at straws. I could see Foles. But Mason Rudolph? No dice.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Trask isn't remotely a one read guy. Rudolph played in a gimmicky scheme that used a limited route tree and relied heavily on vertical passing in the Big 12. Mullen's scheme is a pro-style spread. Kyle makes full-field reads, goes through progressions, called the protections, and threw all over the field using NFL concepts. Rudolph and Brandon Weeden were very similar. Rudolph and Trask are not. Trask is significantly more advanced mentally and instinctually. Y'all are grasping at straws. I could see Foles. But Mason Rudolph? No dice.

Trask predetermines his throws regularly. If his first read isn't there it gets ugly. Imo it's in part because he's keenly aware of his limitations with velocity/mobility and knows the ball has to come out asap or he's ****ed. 

And same system..ok...but Weeden had a monster arm compared to Rudolph. 

1 hour ago, BrownLeader said:

C'mon... "not even remotely" ? Skill set, size and production are near identical. Rudolph's offense was simpler but both were/are mostly one read guys. Rudolph was getting 1st round discussion talk as well. 

There's a few similar rated guys with much better upside so even day 3 wouldn't really surprise me.

Yes, clearly.  He's a Day 2 pick at best.  If someone uses a Day 1 pick, that's 1 more good player who will be available for Green Bay.  Trask isn't good.  He's certainly not a franchise QB.

37 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

Trask predetermines his throws regularly. If his first read isn't there it gets ugly. Imo it's in part because he's keenly aware of his limitations with velocity/mobility and knows the ball has to come out asap or he's ****ed. 

And same system..ok...but Weeden had a monster arm compared to Rudolph. 

Every QB predetermines his throws "regularly" based on the pre-snap look. Trask has no issue going through progressions and making the post-snap reads. You're comparing apples to oranges. It's like comparing what a QB does in Art Briles's scheme to what a QB does in Joe Brady's scheme. And you're wrong about it getting ugly if the first read isn't there. I have watched every snap he's taken at UF. Trask routinely moves through multiple progressions. It gets ugly when he holds the ball for a long time, but that's a different issue.

45 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Heard Kyles father was on Facebook blaming the receivers and Grantham. Can anyone confirm this? 

To be fair, every Gator fan I know felt the same way about Grantham and the receivers. The receivers were dropping passes and making route running mistakes. Grantham is Grantham. Thankfully, he'll soon be gone. He ruined any chance we had at a NC this year.

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Yes, clearly.  He's a Day 2 pick at best.  If someone uses a Day 1 pick, that's 1 more good player who will be available for Green Bay.  Trask isn't good.  He's certainly not a franchise QB.

Trask is definitely good. And there are spots where I could see him as a franchise QB. But he has limitations and needs to find the right scheme fit. 

9 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Every QB predetermines his throws "regularly" based on the pre-snap look. Trask has no issue going through progressions and making the post-snap reads. You're comparing apples to oranges. It's like comparing what a QB does in Art Briles's scheme to what a QB does in Joe Brady's scheme. And you're wrong about it getting ugly if the first read isn't there. I have watched every snap he's taken at UF. Trask routinely moves through multiple progressions. It gets ugly when he holds the ball for a long time, but that's a different issue.

To be fair, every Gator fan I know felt the same way about Grantham and the receivers. The receivers were dropping passes and making route running mistakes. Grantham is Grantham. Thankfully, he'll soon be gone. He ruined any chance we had at a NC this year.

Understandable but his father should bite his tongue and show a little more class when you have a son in that position. 

1 minute ago, Counselor said:

Understandable but his father should bite his tongue and show a little more class when you have a son in that position. 

At least he's only running his mouth on Facebook. There have been far worse sports fathers. This is a nothing burger imo.

7 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Trask isn't a franchise QB in any way, shape or form. Scheme fit or not.

We shall see.

5 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Just because there’s been worse doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be better

Okay. Feel free to let him know. 😉