Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

3 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

Which QB is San Francisco trading up for?

My guess is none, but it's been documented that they have scouted Wilson multiple times, including Adam Peters in person, which is kind of a big deal. Mac Jones is the only other confirmed qb Peters scouted in person, so far as I know

1 minute ago, Forge said:

My guess is none, but it's been documented that they have scouted Wilson multiple times, including Adam Peters in person, which is kind of a big deal

Good bet Shanahan likes Wilson quite a bit. I think they're definitely moving up unless he falls for Mac Jones too. Lynch probably likes Fields but it's 100 Shanahan's decision.

1 minute ago, BrownLeader said:

Good bet Shanahan likes Wilson quite a bit. I think they're definitely moving up unless he falls for Mac Jones too. Lynch probably likes Fields but it's 100 Shanahan's decision.

My guess is that they go edge or cb in round 1, cb / edge in round 2, and look in round 3-5 for a QB

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

Well he's still ugly.

Which face looks more likely to win a SB and tell the camera they're going to Disneyworld?
Watch Trevor Lawrence's reaction to unmuted reporter comment on his  mustache during Zoom - al.com

or 
Zach Wilson Leaving BYU Football, Entering NFL Draft

easy choice.

Wilson has a super punchable face, which I do think is a key point in his favor. All the greats make their rivals’ fans angry, and I could definitely see myself hating that guy. 

...but preferably loving him, as WAS moves up to secure the brain-melting duo of Wilson and the least-punchable face in sports, Terry McLaurin. 

21 minutes ago, Forge said:

My guess is that they go edge or cb in round 1, cb / edge in round 2, and look in round 3-5 for a QB

If we're not going after one of Wilson/Fields/Lance, I'd personally rather trade our 3rd round pick for Darnold as a reclamation project than go for any of 3rd-5th round QB's. Every now and then you get lucky with a Wilson or Prescott, but usually QB's picked in those areas are total wastes.

6 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

Trey Lance probably gonna end up the best QB in the class just for the sole fact the most scrutinized-but-potentially franchise QBs have ended up being the best the past 4/5 classes.

We see this hate every year on project QBs. Allen in 2018, Love in 2020, and Lance this year. The Allen hate was literally over whelming, even worse than the Love hate. I was one of them. And I was wrong. Allen is a bad dude.

I liked Love quite a bit, because he did have that all star season to go along with his absolutely amazing skillset, and then lost all of his offense and coaches. 

Lance is more riskier than Love, but I think Lance has a better skillset than all three. His skillset is dominant. 

The weird thing is, if you had all three in a draft, I’d say Allen is the biggest project. 

Just now, 49ersfan said:

If we're not going after one of Wilson/Fields/Lance, I'd personally rather trade our 3rd round pick for Darnold as a reclamation project than go for any of 3rd-5th round QB's. Every now and then you get lucky with a Wilson or Prescott, but usually QB's picked in those areas are total wastes.

I agree you guys should take a chance on Darnold. He really does have Top 12 QB potential under the right coach. Jimmy is what he is, a Middle of the Pack Serviceable QB. 

2 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Outside of dak, there's really been nothing the last 5 years outside of round 1 which is kind of crazy. Used to be you could find one or two. Jimmy G  / Carr were seconds. Wilson, cousins were later. Dalton / Kaep were seconds. It's weird how barren round 2-7 have been lately. 

I don't know how much Kyle likes Sam. We likely had a shot at him with how 2017 was going and we elected to trade for pending ufa Jimmy G..... That being said, I also wonder if Kyle prefers vets to rookies and would like Sam now that he has a couple years under him lol so who knows. I wouldn't hate it, but may be hard to justify 5 million on a backup qb with our cap. Best guess is we sign someone like schaub, draft a late round guy and let him compete with Rosen or CJ

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Outside of dak, there's really been nothing the last 5 years outside of round 1 which is kind of crazy. Used to be you could find one or two. Jimmy G  / Carr were seconds. Wilson, cousins were later. Dalton / Kaep were seconds. It's weird how barren round 2-7 have been lately. 

I don't know how much Kyle likes Sam. We likely had a shot at him with how 2017 was going and we elected to trade for pending ufa Jimmy G..... That being said, I also wonder if Kyle prefers vets to rookies and would like Sam now that he has a couple years under him lol so who knows. I wouldn't hate it, but may be hard to justify 5 million on a backup qb with our cap. Best guess is we sign someone like schaub, draft a late round guy and let him compete with Rosen or CJ

I think the fifth year option is a big reason why more QB's go end of the 1st instead of the beginning of the second. Makes it worth way more to take that shot for a shot at that QB that normally would go in the second but now just sneaks in the first.

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

We see this hate every year on project QBs. Allen in 2018, Love in 2020, and Lance this year. The Allen hate was literally over whelming, even worse than the Love hate. I was one of them. And I was wrong. Allen is a bad dude.

I liked Love quite a bit, because he did have that all star season to go along with his absolutely amazing skillset, and then lost all of his offense and coaches. 

Lance is more riskier than Love, but I think Lance has a better skillset than all three. His skillset is dominant. 

The weird thing is, if you had all three in a draft, I’d say Allen is the biggest project. 

Eh, I was thinking of Herbert as the most scrutinized QB from last year. Honestly forgot about Love.

6 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

Eh, I was thinking of Herbert as the most scrutinized QB from last year. Honestly forgot about Love.

Herbert was more of people thinking he was “meh” and would just be an ok starter. Love had some real hate going on, and guaranteed bust talk, and people even seeming offended he’d go in the 1st. 

1 hour ago, Justone2 said:

I think the fifth year option is a big reason why more QB's go end of the 1st instead of the beginning of the second. Makes it worth way more to take that shot for a shot at that QB that normally would go in the second but now just sneaks in the first.

Could be. I do think that was the intention when Baltimore moved up for Lamar. Not sure how many others fall into that. Would have to go back and see where everyone was drafted lol

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Herbert was more of people thinking he was “meh” and would just be an ok starter. Love had some real hate going on, and guaranteed bust talk, and people even seeming offended he’d go in the 1st. 

This is true. People were definitely more meh on Herbert vs the crazy swings with Love.