Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

On 1/16/2021 at 3:00 PM, BrownLeader said:

yep. that's the reason.

It is likely the reason the 9ers don't have him. I shouldn't speak for the rest of the league, though. 

Shanny had a talk with Kaep when he took over as HC. Soon after, Kaep opted out of his contract to become a FA. I don't think he was willing to put in the mental work to learn Kyle's O. 

So Davis Mills declared for the Draft. Might finally have an interesting Day 3 prospect.

EDIT: Yeah, I just watched a few of his games. He's not going to fall to Day 3. Real talk, I was not expecting him to be that good. Wow.

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

It is likely the reason the 9ers don't have him. I shouldn't speak for the rest of the league, though. 

Shanny had a talk with Kaep when he took over as HC. Soon after, Kaep opted out of his contract to become a FA. I don't think he was willing to put in the mental work to learn Kyle's O. 

Kinda dangerous to make speculations like that when you weren't in the meeting and have no idea what was actually said....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'm really intrigued by Jamie Newman. He could be really special depending on the work he's done on his own. He could really affect the QB class with good workouts and interviews. 

The one thing I've never really gotten is this "hope" in these mid-round QBs.  The QBs drafted are almost always going to be high picks, and finding one in the later rounds is nothing more than throwing a dart at the board and hoping it sticks.  Going back the last decade, these are the Day 2 QBs:

2020: Jalen Hurts
2019: Drew Lock / Will Grier
2018: Mason Rudolph
2017: DeShone Kizer / Davis Webb
2016: Christian Hackenberg / Jacoby Brissett / Cody Kessler
2015: Garrett Grayson / Sean Mannion
2014: Derek Carr / Jimmy Garappolo
2013: Geno Smith / Mike Glennon
2012: Brock Osweiler / Russell Wilson / Nick Foles
2011: Andy Dalton / Colin Kaepernick / Ryan Mallett

That's not really a good.  There's two entrenched starters (Russell Wilson and Derek Carr), one who is on the verge of being replace (Jimmy G), and a slew of backup QBs (Jacoby Brissett, Mike Glennon, Andy Dalton, and Nick Foles).  The rest are busts.  If you're hoping for a Russell Wilson-caliber QB, you're probably not going to happen.  Doesn't even seem likely that you're going to be an above-average QB.  You're better off spending that Day 2 pick on another position than QB.  It's a little bit different when you're taking a shot on a Day 3 pick.

19 hours ago, jrry32 said:

So Davis Mills declared for the Draft. Might finally have an interesting Day 3 prospect.

EDIT: Yeah, I just watched a few of his games. He's not going to fall to Day 3. Real talk, I was not expecting him to be that good. Wow.

He might sneak in late 1st round. 2nd rounder most likely. 
No chance he's there Day 3.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Kinda dangerous to make speculations like that when you weren't in the meeting and have no idea what was actually said....

So it's not human nature to see or hear of a situation and make connections to possibilities? Remember that when you make inferences from limited information....which we all do on a regular basis here. 

19 hours ago, CWood21 said:

The one thing I've never really gotten is this "hope" in these mid-round QBs.  The QBs drafted are almost always going to be high picks, and finding one in the later rounds is nothing more than throwing a dart at the board and hoping it sticks.  Going back the last decade, these are the Day 2 QBs:

2020: Jalen Hurts
2019: Drew Lock / Will Grier
2018: Mason Rudolph
2017: DeShone Kizer / Davis Webb
2016: Christian Hackenberg / Jacoby Brissett / Cody Kessler
2015: Garrett Grayson / Sean Mannion
2014: Derek Carr / Jimmy Garappolo
2013: Geno Smith / Mike Glennon
2012: Brock Osweiler / Russell Wilson / Nick Foles
2011: Andy Dalton / Colin Kaepernick / Ryan Mallett

That's not really a good.  There's two entrenched starters (Russell Wilson and Derek Carr), one who is on the verge of being replace (Jimmy G), and a slew of backup QBs (Jacoby Brissett, Mike Glennon, Andy Dalton, and Nick Foles).  The rest are busts.  If you're hoping for a Russell Wilson-caliber QB, you're probably not going to happen.  Doesn't even seem likely that you're going to be an above-average QB.  You're better off spending that Day 2 pick on another position than QB.  It's a little bit different when you're taking a shot on a Day 3 pick.

You forgot Dak and Kirk Cousins

That being said, I have brought this up in the 49er forum. Over hte last 5 years, it's been a complete wasteland. It's Dak and nobody else. In the early part of the decade there was some more success in that regard to at least find a decent starter. 

Just now, Forge said:

You forgot Dak and Kirk Cousins

That being said, I have brought this up in the 49er forum. Over hte last 5 years, it's been a complete wasteland. It's Dak and nobody else. In the early part of the decade there was some more success in that regard to at least find a decent starter. 

To be fair, I said Day 2 picks.  And they both were early Day 3 picks.

33 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Stahp.  There's not a snowball's chance in hell that he's going Day 1.  He probably won't even go Day 2.

6'4" 225, functional mobility, rifle for an arm, quick release, good ball placement (flashes of great ball placement), strong enough to break tackles in the pocket, ran the WCO in college with NFL-style progressions, reads, and route tree, and solid pocket movement. I think he goes Day 2.

Physically, he has the skillset of a first round pick. But he also only has 11 starts, has a tendency to force passes over the middle of the field, and gets fooled by well-disguised defensive coverages (especially zone schemes). Needs to be more deceptive with his eyes. That's not surprising considering his lack of experience. Durability is also a question mark. Ultimately, outside of the durability questions, all his flaws are fixable imo.

I wish he was playing at the Senior Bowl. I'd much rather see him than any of the National Team QBs. I think he'd have a strong week. Kid is just a natural thrower of the football.

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

6'4" 225, functional mobility, rifle for an arm, quick release, good ball placement (flashes of great ball placement), strong enough to break tackles in the pocket, ran the WCO in college with NFL-style progressions, reads, and route tree, and solid pocket movement. I think he goes Day 2.

Physically, he has the skillset of a first round pick. But he also only has 11 starts, has a tendency to force passes over the middle of the field, and gets fooled by well-disguised defensive coverages (especially zone schemes). Needs to be more deceptive with his eyes. That's not surprising considering his lack of experience. Durability is also a question mark. Ultimately, outside of the durability questions, all his flaws are fixable imo.

I wish he was playing at the Senior Bowl. I'd much rather see him than any of the National Team QBs. I think he'd have a strong week. Kid is just a natural thrower of the football.

Every year we get these types.  Guys with prototypical size and arm strength, and every year they turn out to be nothing more than draftnik hype trains.  When was the last time a part-time starting QB was drafted Day 2?