Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

I will admit, the more of Mac Jones I watch or go back to watch, the more I see the things that impress people so much about him.  For example, this throw is really impressive.  Just the slight movement to maneuver the pocket and keep his feet set to deliver a great throw in traffic.  And he does that a lot.  Not too long after that on a play, Florida sends a good blitz and Jones makes another subtle movement to buy the RB more time to pick it up and quickly identifies the underneath target.  It's stuff like that that makes me think, well, maybe pressure won't affect him as much in the NFL even though we haven't seen him need to deal with it as much.

It looks like a routine NFL play to me. Pass protection gives him a clean pocket and a lot of time. There's a delayed blitzer coming, but Smith gets open and Jones hits him well before the blitzer is a real threat. The third down play you referenced a few plays later was good pocket movement, but those sort of plays get stuffer in the NFL, whereas the Florida defense blew an easy third down stop with poor angles and tackling.

I really want to see the Auburn/Bama game from 2019. From a couple of the videos I saw, it seems like Jones was under pressure some in that game. There's only so much you can learn from a guy operating in a clean or semi-clean pocket. Even the plays where Jones got some pressure this year, it typically wasn't the sort of pressure you see in the NFL. It was a single guy coming free or beating a block, not the pocket collapsing with multiple guys in his face. 

On 3/9/2021 at 2:11 PM, jrry32 said:

It looks like a routine NFL play to me. Pass protection gives him a clean pocket and a lot of time. There's a delayed blitzer coming, but Smith gets open and Jones hits him well before the blitzer is a real threat. The third down play you referenced a few plays later was good pocket movement, but those sort of plays get stuffer in the NFL, whereas the Florida defense blew an easy third down stop with poor angles and tackling.

I really want to see the Auburn/Bama game from 2019. From a couple of the videos I saw, it seems like Jones was under pressure some in that game. There's only so much you can learn from a guy operating in a clean or semi-clean pocket. Even the plays where Jones got some pressure this year, it typically wasn't the sort of pressure you see in the NFL. It was a single guy coming free or beating a block, not the pocket collapsing with multiple guys in his face. 

The pocket did break down a few times in the Championship game a couple months ago. He got hit pretty hard a time or two. He made some good plays as well. 

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Nobody is trading up to 3 for Lance.  That's just Albright being Albright.

The guy annoys me to no end. If you didn't know, he has a Broncos based radio show that basically functions as a glorified PR firm for the team. He loves to talk up Drew Lock and downplay any hope from fans that the Broncos replace him.

I had to unfollow him on twitter because of the constant dishonesty.

4 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

The guy annoys me to no end. If you didn't know, he has a Broncos based radio show that basically functions as a glorified PR firm for the team. He loves to talk up Drew Lock and downplay any hope from fans that the Broncos replace him.

I had to unfollow him on twitter because of the constant dishonesty.

Too bad he doesn’t still post here. Then you could tell him to his pc or mobile screen!

Just now, Scoundrel said:

Too bad he doesn’t still post here. Then you could tell him to his pc or mobile screen!

He wasn't bad then.  He had some out there takes, but they were usually pretty sound.  Then he became all paranoid that everyone was out to get him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

He wasn't bad then.  He had some out there takes, but they were usually pretty sound.  Then he became all paranoid that everyone was out to get him.

He stickied his military record 2 years ago because of some trolls.   I mean, dude....no one takes that BS seriously...don't feed the trolls.   

He still breaks useful info, but man, he's got a thin skin for the gig.  

As for Lance and teams trading up - I do think that's likely, or at least for whoever is the 4th QB in that group.   I don't think for a moment that Carolina is going to be left holding the bag, given how aggressively they've pursued QB this offseason.  If they can't get Watson, they're moving up to secure of the top 4 QB's.   Moving up to 3 to get him....dunno about that, but I don't think the top 4 guys are falling past 1.7 (someone else will move up by then).

Edited by Broncofan

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Nobody is trading up to 3 for Lance.  That's just Albright being Albright.

Isn't he just saying Atlanta is taking him so if someone other than the Falcons want him they'll have to jump up above 4?

53 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

He stickied his military record 2 years ago because of some trolls.   I mean, dude....no one takes that BS seriously...don't feed the trolls.   

He still breaks useful info, but man, he's got a thin skin for the gig.  

As for Lance and teams trading up - I do think that's likely, or at least for whoever is the 4th QB in that group.   I don't think for a moment that Carolina is going to be left holding the bag, given how aggressively they've pursued QB this offseason.  If they can't get Watson, they're moving up to secure of the top 4 QB's.   Moving up to 3 to get him....dunno about that, but I don't think the top 4 guys are falling past 1.7 (someone else will move up by then).

Ordinarily id say that won't happen. 4 qbs in the top 10 has happened twice in like 60 years. But the thing that I find so interesting is that I perceive this class to be pretty weak at the top. So if there was a time to make your move and go get your qb, it's probably this year