Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

2 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

Trey Lance - Josh Freeman, for me.

Josh Freeman had a 15 INT season and a 11 INT season then a 8 INT season, 34 total in college and is physically 6-6 240.  Not a good comp for Trey Lance who arguably if he played thee years in college would probably not even throw 4 INTs total.   Dak Prescott is a better comparison I feel, Lance is not quite as charismatic but physically they are similar and both are more on the developmental side coming into the league, Dak way more proven though obviously based on being a SR coming into the draft, Trey Lance has only played one season of college football as a RS SOPH.  Or maybe Ryan Tannehill, super athletic but still raw as a passer coming into the league and needs time to develop.  

8 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Will Sam Ehlinger get drafted? 

Yeah he will, if Tommy Stevens, Trace McSorley and Ben DiNucci can get drafted then Sam Ehlinger will absolutely be drafted.  He is way better than any of those players, and if teams can use Taysom Hill as a gaget player Ehlinger could do the same worse case scenario.  Is physically a lot more stable than Hill was coming out of college, less of a injury history, very tough, durable and plays with not much talent on Texas honestly, but is very productive still.

Trevor Lawrence is a hard one with his build and his arm talent.  Maybe as a more athletic Carson Palmer.  Lawrence has a more live arm and is clearly more athletic and willing to run so it is a hard one.  Or Josh Allen on Buffalo, Lawrence does not have quite the rocket Allen does but both are super tall, athletic and have a cannon for an arm and willing to run when needed.  Lawrence being far more developed and proven coming into the league that Josh was obviously.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, QBIso said:

I really like Ehlinger. He’s not quite as fast as Jake Locker, but I think they’ll be similar in terms of career trajectory/ability.

Jake Locker sucked at throwing the football, super tough kid but an awful passer.  Ehlinger is a more developed passer I feel but also plays in more QB friendly offenses than Locker did.  But wow Locker was way over drafted, shows how much one can overrate a guy if they are a big QB with athletic ability.

Others being Paxton Lynch, Blake Bortles, Tim Tebow, EJ Manuel, Blaine Gabbert etc.

Granted there are many athletic QBs who have turned out recently but all could pass the football better than any of these guys.  Justin Herbert for example has been amazing in the NFL, has made more impressive throws as a pro than he ever really did in college, where at times he struggled as a passer.  The narrow hashes and more space seems to have helped his game greatly along with the development.  Paxton Lynch never made that type of jump as a pro.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Jake Locker sucked at throwing the football, super tough kid but an awful passer.  Ehlinger is a more developed passer I feel but also plays in more QB friendly offenses than Locker did.  But wow Locker was way over drafted, shows how much one can overrate a guy if they are a big QB with athletic ability.

Others being Paxton Lynch, Blake Bortles, Tim Tebow, EJ Manuel, Blaine Gabbert etc.

Granted there are many athletic QBs who have turned out recently but all could pass the football better than any of these guys.  Justin Herbert for example has been amazing in the NFL, has made more impressive throws as a pro than he ever really did in college, where at times he struggled as a passer.  The narrow hashes and more space seems to have helped his game greatly along with the development.  Paxton Lynch never made that type of jump as a pro.  

I think of the Locker in the NFL in his last year. Locker was actually good for a hot minute. 

EDIT: No he wasn’t. Why do I remember thinking that it was sad he retired after a breakout season? A quick stat check shows that he was always poopy. 

Edited by QBIso

On 11/21/2020 at 3:09 PM, pwny said:

So.. why does Fields never get the ball to receivers in space? 

Asking again because I really would like an answer to this. Is it all because of Day’s scheme and the fact that he doesn’t get the ball to guys in space something that we hand wave because of the vertical offense, or is it indicative of him being unable to read a defense with anticipation and get the ball to guys that can then get RAC?

6 hours ago, pwny said:

Asking again because I really would like an answer to this. Is it all because of Day’s scheme and the fact that he doesn’t get the ball to guys in space something that we hand wave because of the vertical offense, or is it indicative of him being unable to read a defense with anticipation and get the ball to guys that can then get RAC?

The draft forum has been stumped.

On 11/27/2020 at 12:08 AM, .Buzz said:

The draft forum has been stumped.

That's why my comparison is jameis winston. Winston is the same in terms of not getting receivers in space and being a one read QB. Fields also did his best Jameis impression tossing up balls while going down in prayer instead of taking a sack. 

Fields will get drafted in round 1 but he shouldn;t play. He's a better talent than Haskins, but Fields isn't ready to play in the NFL year one coming from the Ohio state offense. They don't allow QBs to read the field. It's a one read scheme. 

2 hours ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

That's why my comparison is jameis winston. Winston is the same in terms of not getting receivers in space and being a one read QB. Fields also did his best Jameis impression tossing up balls while going down in prayer instead of taking a sack. 

Fields will get drafted in round 1 but he shouldn;t play. He's a better talent than Haskins, but Fields isn't ready to play in the NFL year one coming from the Ohio state offense. They don't allow QBs to read the field. It's a one read scheme. 

Ehh, not sure I like that one. Fields has been historically accurate prior to that Indiana game and he clearly just got rattled. Was obviously a bad showing, but TLaw has had poor stretches. I remember Patrick Mahomes had a 4 INT game at TTU, etc. Jameis had vision issues and clearly is way more gunslinger/YOLO than Fields.

He definitely needs work, but think acting as if he's some super raw prospect is off base. I've seen him go through his reads cleanly this season, it's just not consistent. Ryan Day has altered how that scheme works and made it more pro ready for it's QBs since taking over for Urban Meyer when Haskins was there too.

As far as Pwnys point that hasn't stood out to me while watching so I plan to look for it now. My issues were more so with him holding onto the ball too long and at times staring down his guy when he locks onto his 1st read. But again, every QB prospect is going to have several issues/things to work on. Just depends on what you believe to be most fixable/coaching can iron out over time.

On 11/28/2020 at 11:26 AM, .Buzz said:

Ehh, not sure I like that one. Fields has been historically accurate prior to that Indiana game and he clearly just got rattled. Was obviously a bad showing, but TLaw has had poor stretches. I remember Patrick Mahomes had a 4 INT game at TTU, etc. Jameis had vision issues and clearly is way more gunslinger/YOLO than Fields.

He definitely needs work, but think acting as if he's some super raw prospect is off base. I've seen him go through his reads cleanly this season, it's just not consistent. Ryan Day has altered how that scheme works and made it more pro ready for it's QBs since taking over for Urban Meyer when Haskins was there too.

As far as Pwnys point that hasn't stood out to me while watching so I plan to look for it now. My issues were more so with him holding onto the ball too long and at times staring down his guy when he locks onto his 1st read. But again, every QB prospect is going to have several issues/things to work on. Just depends on what you believe to be most fixable/coaching can iron out over time.

He's also significantly more accurate than Jameis.

EDIT: Big whoopsy here. I meant to say "athletic," not "accurate."

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 1