Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

23 hours ago, MWil23 said:

In terms of comparison, I think that Lance is a lot like Ryan Tannehill coming out. VERY athletic, shows flashes of what he can do from the QB position, but super raw. He could be the next Josh Allen or Andrew Luck (if he becomes polished), or he could be Tannehill: Miami Edition.

I think that's a pretty high floor, probably too high imo. Watching Lance's tape is.....interesting, to say the least. The physical tools are off the charts, but man, the offense he plays in doesn't do him a ton of favors in showing off his passing abilities (he averaged like 18 attempts/game in 2019). His mechanics are all over the place as well. I could definitely see a bad team completely ruining him. 

Anyone else think Mond might surprise a bit on draft day and go late 1st/2nd round? There's some inconsistencies in his game, but he has a bunch of arm talent, athleticism, and has flashed some real "wow" throws. Seemed to do really well during the Senior Bowl week, and was very productive in college. There's good breakdowns of his game on the "QB School" on YouTube. Seems he might be one of those surprise guys that gets drafted higher than most "draftniks" expect.

7 minutes ago, JiffyJag said:

I think that's a pretty high floor, probably too high imo. Watching Lance's tape is.....interesting, to say the least. The physical tools are off the charts, but man, the offense he plays in doesn't do him a ton of favors in showing off his passing abilities (he averaged like 18 attempts/game in 2019). His mechanics are all over the place as well. I could definitely see a bad team completely ruining him. 

I think that people are forgetting Miami Tannehill and how raw he was. I agree with everything that you said. I personally am a seller on Lance personally...but the destination will have a huge impact on him. I think the year off actually hurts him, especially if/when he sits again as a rookie.

Just now, MWil23 said:

I think that people are forgetting Miami Tannehill and how raw he was. I agree with everything that you said. I personally am a seller on Lance personally...but the destination will have a huge impact on him. I think the year off actually hurts him, especially if/when he sits again as a rookie.

I mean I agree that Tannehill coming out of A&M was super raw, and I don't think as a prospect he's a bad comparison for Lance, but in Miami Tannehill was largely pretty decent, just hamstrung by injury. Things definitely could've gone much worse there. I think his floor is closer to Trubisky.

Just now, JiffyJag said:

I mean I agree that Tannehill coming out of A&M was super raw, and I don't think as a prospect he's a bad comparison for Lance, but in Miami Tannehill was largely pretty decent, just hamstrung by injury. Things definitely could've gone much worse there. I think his floor is closer to Trubisky.

I'm speaking purely "as a prospect" coming out. I actually think his floor is lower than Trubisky. I think he could end up being the next Akili Smith. Super athletic, not very good at throwing the football but has the measurable skills that teams covet, while ignoring the flawed mechanics and general lack of accuracy.

He could be Akili Smith, Ryan Tannehill (Miami and Tennessee versions), or Josh Allen...and that would terrify me if I had to draft him.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

He could be Akili Smith, Ryan Tannehill (Miami and Tennessee versions), or Josh Allen...and that would terrify me if I had to draft him.

Agreed. The problem, of course, ends up being NFL coaches having huge egos and all of them thinking that they are capable of maximizing his potential. I'm glad that I don't have to be the guy making that kind of decision lol 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Forge said:

I think the second round is a reach for him, but I get the appeal. 

3rd feels like the right fit for me. Can't ignore the durability issues. But he's the rare sort of Day 2 prospect whom you can convince yourself could start for you one day.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Anyone else think Mond might surprise a bit on draft day and go late 1st/2nd round? There's some inconsistencies in his game, but he has a bunch of arm talent, athleticism, and has flashed some real "wow" throws. Seemed to do really well during the Senior Bowl week, and was very productive in college. There's good breakdowns of his game on the "QB School" on YouTube. Seems he might be one of those surprise guys that gets drafted higher than most "draftniks" expect.

Everyone is convinced he’s going to go in round 2. I think it could easily happen, but I think it’d be an overreach big-time. 

6 hours ago, LinebackerGod said:

Everyone is convinced he’s going to go in round 2. I think it could easily happen, but I think it’d be an overreach big-time. 

I'm curious who have you seen project him round 2? Just about every draft projection I've seen outside of Chris Simms has him going mid rounds.

2 hours ago, tyler735 said:

I'm curious who have you seen project him round 2? Just about every draft projection I've seen outside of Chris Simms has him going mid rounds.

Daniel Jeremiah & Kiper/McShay have said they’re hearing Mond getting 2nd round buzz. Said there’s no chance he makes it to day 3. He’s not that high in their rankings, but they seem to believe that some scouts love him. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jrry32 said:

3rd feels like the right fit for me. Can't ignore the durability issues. But he's the rare sort of Day 2 prospect whom you can convince yourself could start for you one day.

Agreed, said the same. I'd take him with the niners third and given it's at the end of the round, I wouldn't mind trading up from that pick. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LinebackerGod said:

I would bet on the team that takes him there regretting that big time. Dude is a Day 3 prospect.

• Like 2

On 3/19/2021 at 5:41 PM, tyler735 said:

The difference in opinions regarding Mond is exciting. Tells me he has all world potential or could end up a total bust. I'm intrigued by him for that reason alone.

The reason Mond will go higher than anticipated is that he is a film junkie and the NFL loves these QBs.