Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

Fields has rightfully slipped to #3 at his position, but I would ignore any noise that suggests he's going after Lance or Mac Jones. 

To be clear, he's not a Deshaun Watson level prospect. I just don't see a guy who consistently makes good decisions under duress. I can realistically see an outcome where Mac Jones is the better pro, but it would be a ballsy move to select him over Fields. 

1 hour ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Fields has rightfully slipped to #3 at his position, but I would ignore any noise that suggests he's going after Lance or Mac Jones. 

To be clear, he's not a Deshaun Watson level prospect. I just don't see a guy who consistently makes good decisions under duress. I can realistically see an outcome where Mac Jones is the better pro, but it would be a ballsy move to select him over Fields. 

I think at that point when your splitting hairs and evaluating QBs you side with who has the highest upside and ceiling. You literally just have to watch the highlights of that Clemson playoff game to recognize the ceiling he does possess. The problem is, NFL teams suck at developing QBs and they want every prospect nowadays to essentially be bust proof.

Its throws like this, that I think separate him and should have scouts excited. Thats a 20+ yard lazer between two defenders

tenor.gif

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Its throws like this, that I think separate him and should have scouts excited. Thats a 20+ yard lazer between two defenders

He's certainly not Dwayne Haskins. I don't think anyone questions his ball placement. For me it's all about how he responds to physical pressure. He plays Carson Wentz hero-ball too frequently for my liking. 

But he undoubtedly has the prerequisite tools to become a great starter. 

14 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I dont think its unanimous, at this point its pretty unanimous that Wilson is going to be #2. The hard part that Im trying to figure out is how Fields went from the consensus #2 behind Lawrence to now a lot of people dont even have him as the #3 anymore but the #4 QB. Chris Simms crazy self has him at #5 behind everyone in the 1st round.

Im trying to figure out why.... what is the downfall he had that took him from #1/#2 great prospect to now people picking a kid from North Dakota St. who has only played 1 season of college football.

I understand that Fields performed like crap against Alabama, but it was pretty well known that his back was injured and he didnt have any of his mobility in that game. He also had a bad game against Northwestern, are people really holding 1 game against NW against him to have him now not even a better prospect than Trey Lance? Are we serious?

Im getting a lot of 'your overthinking it' Justin Herbert/Deshaun Watson type vibes with Justin Fields in this draft.

Meh, I don't trust changes like this in draft boards this time of year with no new tape of character items.  I think fields goes #2 still.

17 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I think at that point when your splitting hairs and evaluating QBs you side with who has the highest upside and ceiling. You literally just have to watch the highlights of that Clemson playoff game to recognize the ceiling he does possess. The problem is, NFL teams suck at developing QBs and they want every prospect nowadays to essentially be bust proof.

tenor.gif

I don't really understand why people don't view him as a Watson level of prospect. Watson had plenty of question marks. This is all in handsight. Fields has all world potential with the right coaching staff. Fields is more talented than Watson imo. Fields is 220 pounds and runs a 4.4 and throws lasers. I think Fields could struggle some in year 1 but could really take off after that. I would not be surprised if Belichick goes up to #4 and grabs him.

12 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

I don't really understand why people don't view him as a Watson level of prospect. Watson had plenty of question marks. This is all in handsight. Fields has all world potential with the right coaching staff. Fields is more talented than Watson imo. Fields is 220 pounds and runs a 4.4 and throws lasers. I think Fields could struggle some in year 1 but could really take off after that. I would not be surprised if Belichick goes up to #4 and grabs him.

Agree with you, his sutuation really reminds me of Justin Herbert. A guy who lit it up and everybody had at the top of the draft as a sure fire franchise QB, then in their final year had some question marks because they didnt play as well as the previous year. Herbert slipped a bit from his initial ranking, just like Fields probably will--and Herbert crushed it his rookie year proving he was the guy scouts thought he was, just like Fields most likely will.

Whoever moves up to the 3rd-7th pick in the draft to grab him is going to be very happy they did.

22 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

But you also have to weigh floors.  If Mac Jones' floor is something like prime Andy Dalton and Justin Fields is another Troy Smith, that's going to weigh into the opinion as well.  It's about likelihood of them achieving those goals.  And you can find highlight throws by just about any QB prospects.  It's about consistency.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 49to5er said:

I like Mills a lot. I don't think he gets out the 2nd round at this point TBH. 

2nd!?

damn lol

i was hoping he would be like a 4th round type guy that maybe we could nab as an heir to his Goatness

i watched his Pro day and it looked good but i just hadnt heard much about the guy

16 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

2nd!?

damn lol

i was hoping he would be like a 4th round type guy that maybe we could nab as an heir to his Goatness

i watched his Pro day and it looked good but i just hadnt heard much about the guy

Yeah originally I was hoping the Niners could grab him in the 4th as well but after his Pro Day it seems like he has gotten a lot more exposure. 

56 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

anyone have any thoughts on Davis Mills?

Project. Throws a nice ball, good athleticism and physical traits, but questionable decision making  and very inexperienced which shows on film. The injuries are a concern.  Worth a mid round pick. The niners pick at the tail end of round 3 so I'd take him there for the niners, but that's probably the highest. He shouldn't be going in the first two rounds imo

7 hours ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

anyone have any thoughts on Davis Mills?

I have him pegged as a third rounder, but he is the rare third rounder with starting potential. My comparison for him is Sam Bradford. First round thrower who has had durability issues and lacks experience. Gets fooled by disguises because he's basically still a first-year starter in terms of experience and forces some balls. But he moves well in the pocket, has a quick release, strong arm, functional mobility, and can throw with anticipation. If he stays healthy and continues to grow mentally, he could be a steal.

Posted this in the Niner/Dolphin thread, but will post it here to:

There’s no chance Mac Jones would go at 3. That’d be a much bigger joke than Daniel Jones going at 6. This is a smokescreen and anyone who can’t see that, needs to see that. 

I have no idea how people see Mac Jones as a 1st Round talent.... no idea what so ever. He’s not even in the same category as the Top 4 QB prospects. Sure, he might be better than Lance day one, but Lance has more potential in his pinky than Jones does in his entire body. And that’s not an exaggeration. 

The media is building up Mac Jones, the same way they built up Dwayne Haskins and his “50 TDs”. I said Haskins would not do well in the NFL and that he’s a “Media Darling”. I see the same pattern now with Jones. He’s not that good of a prospect, and the media keeps hyping him up. 

Just don’t get the Mac Jones hype. 

There’s only four first round QB’s in this draft, and I’ve had the same exact rankings since early December while everyone was gushing over Fields (and before DJ, TDN, or anyone with the same rankings released theirs).

1) Trevor Lawrence - #1 player in the draft

2) Zach Wilson - #3 player in the draft

3) Trey Lance - Top 12 player in the draft

4) Justin Fields - Top 16 player in the draft. 

I actually really like all four guys. First time ever I’ve had 4 QB’s with an upper half 1st Round Grade.