Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

17 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

So Fields went from challenging for the number one overall pick a couple months ago, to falling behind Jones and Lance?  Lance who threw, I believe @ 300 passes the last season he played against the likes of Southwest Great Lakes State?  I’m not buying it, the Niners are taking Fields. I understand Lance had a nice Pro Day.  A lot of guys have great pro days in their underwear.  I suspect Fields is gonna have one too and put all this to rest 

I think those were just narratives and not anything real. I have always been iffy on Fields, and after watching him more my concerns haven't been assuaged. I have Lance over him, and I think the 49ers pick him. Lance, to me, is a twitchier version of Fields with a stronger arm and worse deep accuracy.

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Wouldn't surprise me if Mac is the pick. Would just be Shanny running amok, which most niners fans do expect most of the time. And Mac will be moderately successful too...and then he'll likely have them in a similar situation to the one they are leaving now by the time he needs a second contract. It's the circle of life. 

But man, evolve or die. If you're looking for Kirk Cousins in the top 3, you're doing this wrong. It's okay if you're first round pick ends up being cousins, but that sure as hell shouldn't be what you are shooting for. Andy Reid propped up mediocre quarterbacks for nearly 20 years and could never finish the job. Then he took the big swing and hit it, he's been to two super bowls and doesn't look like he's going to slow down. If Kyle's big swing is Mac Jones, I just don't get it, personally, even if I do expect that pairing to be reasonably successful. 

I think Reid's always been looking for that type of QB. He just got lucky with Mahomes. In his heart of hearts I figure Shanahan would want a Kurt Warner with some mobility.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I think those were just narratives and not anything real. I have always been iffy on Fields, and after watching him more my concerns haven't been assuaged. I have Lance over him, and I think the 49ers pick him. Lance, to me, is a twitchier version of Fields with a stronger arm and worse deep accuracy.

He's got worse accuracy all around. His feel on passes is just not great. 

But...

I believe he's a much faster processor than Fields, I think he handles a crumbling pocket very well, and he's a king of doing all the things that online message board scouts take for granted (protection calls, checks, complex verbiage knowledge, adept play action where he's not afraid to take his eyes off the field, full field progressions and route trees)

• Like 1

What have you guys seen from Lance that you’re so sold on?  The top competition he’s played? The D-1 defenses he’s dominated? The 40 passes a game he threw? The big games he’s won?  Go ahead and show the bad games that Fields has had against Indiana and Northwestern.  Those two teams would be better than any team Lance has faced by a mile. Fields has also played well enough to beat Clemson twice (I know they lost in ‘20 but he played well enough for them to win that game) against arguably the best D coordinator in college football. Go ahead and pick him apart though, just like Herbert got put through it last year.  The niners are built to win now, and Lance is the guy? Hasn’t played meaningful football games in two years, but is gonna step out of NDSU and tear up the NFL? Gotcha.  That’s a two year project.  

1 hour ago, BoltsFan937 said:

So Fields went from challenging for the number one overall pick a couple months ago, to falling behind Jones and Lance?  Lance who threw, I believe @ 300 passes the last season he played against the likes of Southwest Great Lakes State?  I’m not buying it, the Niners are taking Fields. I understand Lance had a nice Pro Day.  A lot of guys have great pro days in their underwear.  I suspect Fields is gonna have one too and put all this to rest 

I think it's likely fields or Lance. Like 85%. I'd rather Mccorkle not be an option, but I can't remove him from the equation.  The thing that doesn't make sense for it to be Lance is that we have never seen him throw live. Not once. I've never heard of spending a top 3 pick on a guy you've never seen live. So I'm starting to slant a little more towards fields in that duo. Shanny also has personal connection with fields which could help or hinder

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrownLeader said:

Almost the reverse for me..

50% Mac

35% Fields

15% Lance

Shanahan is an egomaniac. He has a great scheme and is an expert play caller. His offense creates chunk play opportunities down the field and he wants a sniper that just won't miss. ..or get hurt trying to run around.

Mac Jones is perfect for that scheme. He's a quick processor, and a machine like, in stride and down field passer. He's shown what he can do with NFL talent around him. Doesn't have the upside of Lance or Fields but his projection's less volatile. That trade suggests you'll probably want the highest floor guy available.

Shanahan's earned confidence in his ability to evaluate, even when the consensus liked the bigger upside guys, so if he's sure Mac Jones will be a lot better than Jimmy G, Lynch is going along. Still think Garoppolo starts this year, tho btw.

I agree about Shanahan, but remember he adjusted his scheme to enable RG3 to be successful.  Fields is already further along than RG3 as a passer.  Shanahan might have big eyes about a non brittle RG3 who has the chance to be a good passer.

I am going to laugh if they choose Mac Jones at #3.  There is no need to trade up like that for a Mac Jones.  I can't believe they would do that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I think it's likely fields or Lance. Like 85%. I'd rather Mccorkle not be an option, but I can't remove him from the equation.  The thing that doesn't make sense for it to be Lance is that we have never seen him throw live. Not once. I've never heard of spending a top 3 pick on a guy you've never seen live. So I'm starting to slant a little more towards fields in that duo. Shanny also has personal connection with fields which could help or hinder

Not a top 3 pick, but it has happened before.... And surprise, surprise, it was shannys dad lol

• Like 1

Just now, Scoundrel said:

Yeah he really wanted to hide his infatuation with Jay. I’ve always been intrigued by that story. 

I get it. I was a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge jay cutler Stan as a prospect. Still such an amazing arm talent

• Like 1

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

I am going to laugh if they choose Mac Jones at #3.  There is no need to trade up like that for a Mac Jones.  I can't believe they would do that.

Shanny gets who he wants. There's never a plan b and they don't care about overpaying. He gets his guy. He's the type that sees a house and immediately offers 3x the asking price for it when he could have gotten it by adding another 20k instead. 

Peter King stated that he views the  pro day attendence (bama and osu have them the same day) as Mac Jones having the lead in the clubhouse. Peter King has often been on point with the niners so while I wouldn't take it as gospel, I give his words weight. 

Definitely think Mac is in play, but I believe the niners already have made their choice regardless

2 hours ago, Forge said:

I don’t know if Shanahans personal connection to Fields would be a factor, but I’d be willing to bet if it is, it’s in a positive way. Fields is a great kid, an unquestioned leader on that Ohio State team. I don’t know if this has been talked about on here, but in OSU’s offense, they ask the receivers to make adjustments in their route based on how the corner is playing. Fields gets knocked for holding the ball, and his ability to read defense. I think a lot of times he’s waiting for the receiver to adjust his route before throwing the ball.   

42 minutes ago, Forge said:

Shanny gets who he wants. There's never a plan b and they don't care about overpaying. He gets his guy. He's the type that sees a house and immediately offers 3x the asking price for it when he could have gotten it by adding another 20k instead. 

Peter King stated that he views the  pro day attendence (bama and osu have them the same day) as Mac Jones having the lead in the clubhouse. Peter King has often been on point with the niners so while I wouldn't take it as gospel, I give his words weight. 

Definitely think Mac is in play, but I believe the niners already have made their choice regardless

Peter King also said the Niners were his personal favourite for a Sam Darnold trade 3 weeks ago....idk

Michael Lombardi also said the Niners were interested in a Darnold trade too

Both now seem to lean Mac Jones...think these guys are just gasping at straws at the moment

Edited by 49ersfan

7 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Peter King also said the Niners were his personal favourite for a Sam Darnold trade 3 weeks ago....idk

Michael Lombardi also said the Niners were interested in a Darnold trade too

Both now seem to lean Mac Jones...think these guys are just gasping at straws at the moment

They all are right now. King is one with monitoring moving forward though. Lombardi is just always wrong. He's jlc with a better resume. Mm went from fields one day to mccorkle the next. None of this is reporting, just all guess work by reporters. 

I would see if ian happens to say anything at some point though, even though this isn't really his bag. He seems plugged in lately

25 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

I don’t know if Shanahans personal connection to Fields would be a factor, but I’d be willing to bet if it is, it’s in a positive way. Fields is a great kid, an unquestioned leader on that Ohio State team. I don’t know if this has been talked about on here, but in OSU’s offense, they ask the receivers to make adjustments in their route based on how the corner is playing. Fields gets knocked for holding the ball, and his ability to read defense. I think a lot of times he’s waiting for the receiver to adjust his route before throwing the ball.   

Basically every NFL offense does the same. NFL QBs don't hold the ball waiting for adjustments. They anticipate it and count on the WR to be where he's supposed to be. But Fields is young. Slower processing may or may not be something he grows out of with experience.

• Like 1