Trade assets

Pastor Dillon

I have been looking into the rules for trading players, because the cap numbers are always confusing. I believe that when we trade someone, the receiving team is responsible for everything except the bonus money. The bonus money, which can normally be spread out over the life of a contract is due up front when the player is traded, creating a cap hit for the trading team. 

Having said that, we have some guys that we can get off the books without taking much of a hit

Bradley Roby signed a 3/30 million deal. he only got a 3 million bonus....we could trade his entire deal and only take a 3 million hit, freeing up 11 million next year
Whitney Mercilus signed a 4/54 million deal. He got 7.5 million bonus....we could trade him and take on the remaining 5 million, freeing up his 12 million hit next year
Cunningham got 12 million in bonus, which we would eat if we traded him....his cap hit is 12 million next year. 

I dont know if you owe that all up front, or if that bonus number sticks with you as dead money until it would run out.....but either way, it would save money to trade all 3 of those guys, and wouldnt hurt our defense much. Plus maybe we could get a couple 3rd rounders or something.  

I would hate to see Watt traded, but if a team offered us a 1st round pick, Watt would have to go. Hes still a decent player, but we need to get young and cheap on defense, because our offense is going to be our calling card the next several years. We need 4 or 5 rookies on D next year, and we dont have the assets to make that happen without making some trades. 

If they trade Fuller, they are just the biggest idiots. He has such great chemistry with Watson and after moving Hopkins, I don’t know how you would be able to sell that move to him. And just the idea of trading away 1 all pro and 1 pro bowl caliber WR within a 7 month span is just ridiculous.

I think the only person that really makes sense to move is Mercilus. I like Roby I think he is pretty good and he is a pretty reasonable deal.

They might be able to get a late round pick for Stills too. 

I don't want to trade Fuller in the slightest, but if some desperate team came with a deal similar to what Minnesota got for Stefon Diggs? I'd have a hard time saying no to that.

Whitney Mercilius is on a pretty friendly deal (20th highest paid edge, IIRC) so he's attractive to a team looking to bolster an edge for a few years. Not sure who that team is, but you take it and put Jacob Martin out there for the remainder of the season. Sure, Martin will probably look bad out there as a FT guy, but how is that different than right now?

They need to find a way to keep Fuller. It’s such a ridiculous premise to get rid of two great WRs with great chemistry with your great young QB.

Those picks will just be used to replace Fuller anyways. It’s not like we have some young cheap up and coming WR waiting in the wings.

Also, based on Deshaun’a comments after practice about trade speculation he is not having it at all. 

If we trade away Watt, Cunningham, Roby, Mercilius, and McKinney and go with a youth movement on defense, we might could afford to keep Fuller and Cooks. 

honestly that seems like the best idea. John Reid should get some more run at corner. Lonnie Johnson should get moved to safety where I think he would be better. Conley missing most of the year could allow us to resign him cheaply. 

justin Reid has 1 more year left and would probably need an extension this summer. 

we have lots of young guys on the d-line. 

it’s not like they would be any worse. 

we can get a good young running back on the cheap and cut both Johnson’s. Cant pay 13 million for those 2 while getting rid of Fuller. 

3 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Lonnie Johnson should get moved to safety where I think he would be better.

He's been playing a lot of S, it seems. He'll drop in the box to cover TEs, but I haven't really seen him playing the boundary or slot.

He's just not good at football, absolutely zero football IQ. I don't think he's recoverd from that beating he took from Travis Kelce, I've never seen a player with such bad instincts.

He's on par with guys like Petey Faggins and Fred Bennett - has the athleticism to play the role, but he's unable to do anything with the athleticism because he makes wrong decisions nearly every opportunity.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ET80 said:

He's been playing a lot of S, it seems. He'll drop in the box to cover TEs, but I haven't really seen him playing the boundary or slot.

He's just not good at football, absolutely zero football IQ. I don't think he's recoverd from that beating he took from Travis Kelce, I've never seen a player with such bad instincts.

He's on par with guys like Petey Faggins and Fred Bennett - has the athleticism to play the role, but he's unable to do anything with the athleticism because he makes wrong decisions nearly every opportunity.

RAC said the Lonnie is gonna keep playing safety moving forward. It would be nice if he could develop there and be a starter opposite Reid moving forward.