Dustin Hopkins

RSkinGM

He's 7 of 10 on FGs-not great. I know he hit the upright on a 54 yarder so can't fault him much there . Missed a 47 yarder yesterday and I think  a miss against the Cards I can't remember . Of the 3 misses . (test your memory ) Were they all the first attempts in the game ? 

18 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

You better have a good special team to stop all those kickoff returns from the 5 yard line .

When we did in 2012 it wasn’t an issue. Then, Shanahan/Allen let Lorenzo Alexander go in 2013 we lost Danny Smith and replaced him with a guy that Shanahan knew from Denver and our special teams coverage went in the crapper.

Edited by turtle28

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

When we did in 2012 it wasn’t an issue. Then, Shanahan/Allen let Lorenzo Alexander go in 2013 we lost Danny Smith and replaced him with a guy that Shanahan knew from Denver and our special teams coverage went in the crapped.

Gano may be the guy we should have kept .. He's been a lot better since we cut him though. Kicked for Carolina like 7 years. My nickname for him was "Oh No Gano " .. missed another one . !

40 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Has he been any better out there when trying out? He's been on 5 teams for a couple of games SINCE us. 

I think he’s stayed accurate but MKinght is right that Forbath isn’t a guy you’d attempt a kick with that’s longer than 49 or 50. 45 and in, Kai is automatic.

Of course that’s probably helpful in the field position battle. Hopkins missed the 54 yarder vs the Ravens, so the Ravens got the ball at our 44 right? 

If we had punted then at worst the Ravens had the ball at the 20 the next possession.

1 minute ago, RSkinGM said:

Gano may be the guy we should have kept .. He's been a lot better since we cut him though. Kicked for Carolina like 7 years. My nickname for him was "Oh No Gano " .. missed another one . !

Yeah, I was wrong about him. He had a rough 2011 with blocks but once he got his kicks up higher in Carolina and now for the Giants he’s been better. My biggest knock on him was the blocked FGs and that’s why Shanahan didn’t keep him.

42 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Pretty sure he's 7 of 10 . He missed a 50 yarder against the Eagles. We were down 10-0 and the Eagles then went up 17-0. I do think all of his 3 misses were his first attempt of the game . They have been longish. 50, 54 and 47 . 

You’re right, I think when I was looking at the stats that it didn’t have Sunday’s game included yet. 

For one, I don’t think Ron should’ve attempted the 54 yarder. Still, Hop only missed it by inches as it bounces off the post and went off to the left instead of inside the upright.

As I said above if Ron punts there it puts Baltimore at worst at the 20 and possibly inside the 10 for their next drive. Instead they got the ball at the 44 and a few plays later was Lamar’s long run where most of our D missed a tackle and Ryan Anderson ran past Lamar with the ball in the backfield as he was waiting to be blocked by the OL or TE coming across which was really weird, he could’ve taken Lamar out for a 5 yard loss or at least slowed him down to where others could’ve gotten home.

It was windy yesterday at the Meadowlands - per usual in the fall and winter - it’s likely that DHop’s 47 yard FG got pushed right by the wind. Regardless, he should’ve made that one and, if I’m remembering right the 50-yard FG was against the Eagles week 1 and it was his first FG of the year. He should’ve made it but it had to be weird kicking in a game w/ no fans at first. 

So, out of the three there are reasonable reasons why they were missed. Still, you’d definitely like to have seen him hit the one last Sunday - if he does we win - and the 50 yarder week 1 vs the Eagles.

11 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

You’re right, I think when I was looking at the stats that it didn’t have Sunday’s game included yet. 

For one, I don’t think Ron should’ve attempted the 54 yarder. Still, Hop only missed it by inches as it bounces off the post and went off to the left instead of inside the upright.

As I said above if Ron punts there it puts Baltimore at worst at the 20 and possibly inside the 10 for their next drive. Instead they got the ball at the 44 and a few plays later was Lamar’s long run where most of our D missed a tackle and Ryan Anderson ran past Lamar with the ball in the backfield as he was waiting to be blocked by the OL or TE coming across which was really weird, he could’ve taken Lamar out for a 5 yard loss or at least slowed him down to where others could’ve gotten home.

It was windy yesterday at the Meadowlands - per usual in the fall and winter - it’s likely that DHop’s 47 yard FG got pushed right by the wind. Regardless, he should’ve made that one and, if I’m remembering right the 50-yard FG was against the Eagles week 1 and it was his first FG of the year. He should’ve made it but it had to be weird kicking in a game w/ no fans at first. 

So, out of the three there are reasonable reasons why they were missed. Still, you’d definitely like to have seen him hit the one last Sunday - if he does we win - and the 50 yarder week 1 vs the Eagles.

AND,, the missed XP against the Browns . 

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

AND,, the missed XP against the Browns . 

Yeah, hopefully that’s the only one he misses all year, most kickers miss 1 or 2 extra points a year now bc they’re now 30 yards - not gimmies.

I mean the truth of it is that Hopkins isn’t amongst the best kickers in the NFL but he also isn’t among the worst. So, you hold onto the guy unless in some unbelievable way you find a great kicker as an UDFA who comes along and beats him out. Hop hasn’t been so bad that we’d move on from him.

As you said before, all of his misses were over 45 (47, 50 & 54) and the 47 yarder he missed Sunday was in the Meadowlands w/ that swirling wind.

If Rivera punts instead of kicking the 54 yarder vs the Ravens and kicks the 20-yard FG vs the Ravens instead of stupidly going for it from 4th and goal from the 13, Hopkins would be 8/10 for the season.

Edited by turtle28