2017 FF Soccer Draft Vote R1: BKN vs Viks

amac

Vote on who you think would win the matchup. To vote, post in the thread and specify who you think would win in bold. Anyone can vote, but votes for your own team won't count. Explanations encouraged

Brooklyn Italians

UAdc5Bs.png

Vs

@viks4life

NsaYzC9.png

Brooklyn Writeup: 

My team, the Brooklyn Italians, was built with a goal of versatility and balance in mind. I wanted to ensure with my side is that it would be one that was comfortable and effective both with and without the ball.

That flexibility starts first with the midfield, where I have two all-action, box-to-box midfielders in Nainggolan and Dembele who are adept both at winning the ball and driving it forward. Supporting them is deep lying playmaker in Weigl who reads the game extremely well and can mop-up the interceptions forced by the pressure his midfield partners cause, and possesses the range and vision to start attacks and switch the play when needed. Nainggolan had arguably the best year of his career last season after Spaletti pushed him farther up the field into a more advanced role where he could showcase more of his creative elements and ability to operate in tight spaces. With him and Dembele my team is well positioned to press higher up the pitch and win the ball in dangerous positions. At the back, I’ve got an outstanding shot stopper at keeper in Hugo Lloris as well as a great wealth of experience, pedigree, and 1v1 defending ability at the centerback positions.

The strong spine, and in particular abilities of Ramos, Koscielny, and Weigl to pass in between the lines and Dembele’s power driving forward with the ball will help ensure a structure that keeps Messi in more advanced positions where he is his most effective.

In possession, I wanted to build a team that can play possession football when needed while also having the ability to go direct or counter-attacking.

With Messi playing in a free role when Brooklyn is in possession, the team will sometimes more closely resemble a 4-4-2 diamond formation, with Messi drifting inside and underneath a dynamic striker partnership of Mertens and Aguero. With Messi tucking inside and Weigl dictating from deep, Brooklyn is able to create options across the pitch to maintain possession. Hysaj and Mendy are both adept in getting up and down the pitch to provide width and the erstwhile shuttler CM’s Nainggolan and Dembele are both able to shift into the wide half-spaces to receive the ball and create overloads for the fullbacks and a link to the other attacking players. The unpredictable movement of the front 3 will be a handful for defenses to deal with. And from a playmaking perspective I have a number of players - Messi, Aguero, Mertens, and Nainggolan chief among them - who have the individual creative or technical quality to break through in difficult situations. 

Should teams seek to drop deep against Brooklyn, it creates more space in the buildup for players like Dembele, Messi, and Mertens to get on the ball and move defenders out of position with their dynamic dribbling, not to mention the threat of Nainggolan longshots. For opposition that seek to operate more on the front foot with a high line, they’re creating a dangerous situation for themselves on the counter when they lose the ball with Mertens and Aguero able to play off the back shoulder of defenders and get in-behind to be picked out by the long passing of Messi, Weigl, or Nainggolan.

Matchup with viks4life

Despite the similar formations, I this matchup would be a pretty interesting battle of contrasts. With viks’ assembled crew of quasi-#10’s, they will likely look to dominate possession while Brooklyn sits ready to pounce on the counter.

While viks’ team is bursting with creativity and technical quality, I think my team would prevail by exploiting the weaknesses that his setup presents. Playing Dybala in a lone striker role creates too much duplication within the squad in my eyes – Isco, Thiago, Dybala, and Forsberg will all be looking to get on the ball and take up similar positions in possession without there being enough runners off the ball for them to pick out with their passing ability, with only Robben being a real outlet up front. That creates potential for some dynamic combination play, but it’s high-wire act, and when they lose the ball viks is putting a lot of pressure on an isolated Martinez/Koulibaly duo at the back to shut down attacks on their own.

Nainggolan and Dembele are both effective ballwinners and when they do get on the ball I don’t think viks has anyone in midfield who can really stop them from driving the ball forward and supplying the ball to my front 3 operating in a dangerous amount of space.  

I think there’s a simple functionality in my team that wins out here – Brooklyn is set up to be devastating on the counter against a team that will leave itself vulnerable because it needs to push too many men forward in order to launch their attacks.

1 hour ago, kempus said:

Brooklyn would dominate this game. Better man for man across almost the entire pitch.

I don't agree with that but I will go with Brooklyn. I think he's one of the strongest teams in the whole competition. Viks backline is better but the front line of Brooklyn is dope as hell. Midfield is a draw, give me the side with Messi, Aguero and Mertens. 

7 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

I don't agree with that but I will go with Brooklyn. I think he's one of the strongest teams in the whole competition. Viks backline is better but the front line of Brooklyn is dope as hell. Midfield is a draw, give me the side with Messi, Aguero and Mertens. 

Better keeper, left back, both CBs, Nainggolan and Dembele would physically dominate Viks cms. All front 3 players are better too. I don't think this one is that close.

Just now, kempus said:

Better keeper, left back, both CBs, Nainggolan and Dembele would physically dominate Viks cms. All front 3 players are better too. I don't think this one is that close.

No way. Felipe Luis is  much better than Mendy. I'll take his CBs over Ramos and Kos, who hasn't been the same player he was a couple seasons ago. I personally really like Viks midfield, I agree they aren't very physical but it's a very good group who could dominate possession. I went for Brooklyn but I'm a fan of Viks' team. 

2 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

No way. Felipe Luis is  much better than Mendy. I'll take his CBs over Ramos and Kos, who hasn't been the same player he was a couple seasons ago. I personally really like Viks midfield, I agree they aren't very physical but it's a very good group who could dominate possession. I went for Brooklyn but I'm a fan of Viks' team. 

Going to have to agree to disagree. But, Viks back line would get massacred against Messi, Aguero and Mertens.

Brooklyn wins this for me.

GK - Brooklyn wins
FB - Viks wins
CB - Brooklyn wins
MF - Closest match-up of the different position groups for mine.  Brooklyn has the more balanced midfield, but its hard to go past the creative ability and potential to dominate possession that a midfield trio of Isco/Thiago/Jorginho brings.  I'd probably just give this to Viks
FW - Brooklyn clearly wins

Just now, kempus said:

Going to have to agree to disagree. But, Viks back line would get massacred against Messi, Aguero and Mertens.

To be fair most backlines would, that is an absurd front line! I like Robben and Alves against Mertens and Mendy. I think the midfield is probably a wash but Brooklyn's attack is just too strong and completely negates Viks minor back line superiority.  

1 minute ago, drd23 said:

Brooklyn wins this for me.

GK - Brooklyn wins
FB - Viks wins
CB - Brooklyn wins
MF - Closest match-up of the different position groups for mine.  Brooklyn has the more balanced midfield, but its hard to go past the creative ability and potential to dominate possession that a midfield trio of Isco/Thiago/Jorginho brings.  I'd probably just give this to Viks
FW - Brooklyn clearly wins

Pretty much my thoughts but I'd probably switch CBs or at least make it a wash. 

Have to give this to the Italians. Viks has a nice team but Brooklyns attack is far more lethal, and I think their midfield is more balanced- viks would be fantastic in possession but have a bit more trouble winning the ball back/breaking up attacks

4 minutes ago, amac said:

Have to give this to the Italians. Viks has a nice team but Brooklyns attack is far more lethal, and I think their midfield is more balanced- viks would be fantastic in possession but have a bit more trouble winning the ball back/breaking up attacks

Something something spicy meatball. 

59 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

Yeah I'd have  Sandro, Marcelo, Filipe, and maybe Azpi in the top tier of LBs and Filipe may be the best defender 

I agree with different opinions here. 

I would prefer viks D by a smidge.

I also like viks midfield but I think the 3 of Brooklyn are stronger in and out of possession, albeit not as creative. 

I like the creativity of viks front 3, but they just don't have enough goals.

I'd go Brooklyn in a tight affair with maybe a late goal on the break to seal a 3-1 victory. 

I am going for Brooklyn over viks this match up. I am still concerned with the creativity in Brooklyn’s midfield as I don’t see Weigl as effective of a deep lying playmaker as his write up makes him to be. I definitely do see the team switching into a diamond as Messi will inevitable drop deep to connect the midfield and attack. I think against a team with faster wingers and a more physical midfield, Brooklyn’s team will be beat as I think that style of team will counteract his midfield and exploit space on the wings. However, I don’t see viks team matching well up against Brookyln’s. In the end as I said last round, I am unconvinced by Alves and Martinez. I get that Alves turns up in tournaments like the Champions League last season but he is getting up there in age and he is not as consistent as he used to be. I feel like Mertens, Aguero and Messi would have too much quality for the defense to handle. As well, I don’t believe there is enough physicality in viks midfield to counteract Brooklyns. I see this game maybe ending 3-1 or 2-1 to Brooklyn.

Archived