Najee Harris and Jaylen Waddle are the best NFL prospects from Alabama since Julio Jones...

VanS

10 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

I think Waddle is the superior prospect. I want him in the slot for Miami. Does Smith's slight frame bother anyone?

Smith reminds me a bit of Marvin Harrison. Yeah, he's thin, but he is tough as nails, separates at every level, and catches just about everything.

2015 starting Bama OL
Cam Robinson
Lester Cotton
Ryan Kelly
Bradley Bozeman
Korren Kirven

2020 starting Bama OL
Alex Leatherwood
Deonte Brown
Landon Dickerson
Emil Ekiyor Jr
Evan Neal

To Derrick Henry's credit he did get a ton of yards with a less talented offensive line arguably.  Cam was great in college but Leatherwood is better arguably and has better long term potential.  Neal is easily better than Kirven at the other OT spot.  Deonte Brown is better than Bozeman and Ekiyor could be better long term than Cotton.  Only one from 2015 that is better is Ryan Kelly who is better than Dickerson but Dickerson is a very solid center still and has been playing very well.

Najee has better side to side footwork, Henry is better at making big plays and long runs, and is faster most likely as well.  Najee has a little bit more power in his legs and is not as tall and thin it seems in his legs.  Henry is great though and many obviously underrated him because he plays running back, clearly has proven them all wrong and has become a great pro.  I do not see Najee winning the Heisman though like Henry did, no way, or gaining that many yards for that matter but really cannot because they are playing less games anyway.  

On 10/19/2020 at 11:17 PM, mse326 said:

I don't know that I'd put Harris above Jeudy but I do love them both. I'm always baffled when people say Najee is overrated or won't be a good pro. Like what does he not well enough for you?

Najee has size and is good all around but he's not explosive at all. Wouldn't put him near Jacobs or Henry. He's just above the Damien Harris/Bo Scarborough territory for me if we're talking recent Bama backs.

On 10/20/2020 at 8:38 AM, Ragnarok said:

Before this year, I was never super impressed with Najee.  He looked like JAG.  I think his patience and vision look much better this season.

This is what I was going to say. Harris seems to have greatly improved in the mental aspects of his game this year and as a result has looked much better. I would also say similar things about Waddle, his route running seem to be improved this year as well and he's using his athleticism to make himself more dynamic.

On 10/20/2020 at 12:25 PM, Tetsujin said:

I think Waddle is the superior prospect. I want him in the slot for Miami. Does Smith's slight frame bother anyone?

It's certainly not ideal but it doesn't seem to affect him. He's so physical and fights for the ball well despite it. He's showing against quality SEC CBs that it's not a hindrance to his game.

Honestly, I think Leatherwood may be better than both at his respective position.  I prefer Waddle to Harris though, although that's no knock on Harris, who has all the makings of a good NFL RB.  Waddle's size will always be a concern, but you can't deny the skill and explosiveness.

I just looked at a mock that had Waddle going 26th.  Personally I think this is definitely too low.  He's electric. Is he a shoe-in to declare for the draft?  I can see him seeing Devonta Smith improving his stock this year and thinking he would be fine to come back, have a huge season as a #1, and go even higher in 2022. 

On 10/27/2020 at 9:19 AM, NateDawg said:

I just looked at a mock that had Waddle going 26th.  Personally I think this is definitely too low.  He's electric. Is he a shoe-in to declare for the draft?  I can see him seeing Devonta Smith improving his stock this year and thinking he would be fine to come back, have a huge season as a #1, and go even higher in 2022. 

I'd be disappointed if he's there and we (prob 8-13 range) pass him up, with our desperate need for a WR. Would be true to form though. 

On 10/22/2020 at 10:21 AM, THE DUKE said:

Honestly, I think Leatherwood may be better than both at his respective position.  I prefer Waddle to Harris though, although that's no knock on Harris, who has all the makings of a good NFL RB.  Waddle's size will always be a concern, but you can't deny the skill and explosiveness.

Pretty late reply but yuck. Leatherwood has been bad this year and honestly I didn't find him particularly impressive last year either.

On 10/19/2020 at 9:49 PM, Rodjahs12 said:

I like Devonta Smith more than both. No slight on either guy either I just believe Smith has a chance to be another Michael Thomas without the crazy problems 

Unlike Thomas , he can run a deep route and get open