NFC East.... yeah it's that thread

Danger

I'm impressed with the Giants D. Really stepping up lately. If Washington beats Pittsburgh tomorrow, they are still my pick. If they lose, I think the Giants are gonna pull this out.

Who would of thought that if Dak was healthy, Eagles are the worst team in the division.

Under my playoff format which is 16 teams (thus eliminating the first round bye completely) and removes seeding priority for division winners, the Giants would right now have the 8 seed and have to open the playoffs in New Orleans, where they have not won since 1993.

The Giants avoiding having to play a first round game at the Superdome caused huge problems for my Packers in 2011. The Giants at 9-7 had the worst record of all NFC playoff teams. Under normal circumstances, this would give them the 6 seed and a first-round date in the Superdome, where earlier in 2011 they were thrashed 49-24 by the Saints.

However, despite their record, it was good enough to win the NFC East. They defeated the Falcons in the wild card round (both NFC Wild Card teams, also including the Lions, went 10-6). The Giants upset my Packers in the next round, up until that point home teams had been perfect in the 2011 playoffs. It also upset me because the Packers failed to do something their hated rivals the Bears did in 1985 - win the Super Bowl as a 15-1 team. Carolina's failure to do so against the Broncos in Super Bowl 50 ties into this - both the 2011 Giants and 2015 Broncos were led by a Manning brother (Eli and Peyton, respectively).

The Giants went on to win Super Bowl 46, thoroughly embarrassing the NFL.

Similarly, the 2012 Detroit Tigers had the worst record of all MLB playoff teams, but got to skip the then-new Wild Card game because they won the AL Central. They advanced to the World Series, and again defeated my team (this time the Yankees) in the process. This time, however, the Tigers failed to win the championship.

Also the 2015 NL playoffs saw the league's three best teams all come from the Central - but the second and third place teams (Pirates and Cubs) had to play each other in the Wild Card game, for the right to face the Cardinals. The two other division winners, the Dodgers and Mets, got to avoid the NL Central until the NLCS, and it worked to the Mets' advantage - they swept the Cubs, who only one year later won the World Series for the first time in 108 years.

These are compelling arguments against giving seeding priority to division winners.

The NBA realized early the problem of giving division winners seeding priority after an incident in the 2006 playoffs. Similar to the 2015 NL playoffs, the two best teams in the NBA's Western Conference, Dallas and San Antonio, came from the same division, but could not have the top two seeds because of that, and thus were forced to meet in the second round.

Several Western teams attempted to maneuver their way out of having to play Dallas or San Antonio until the conference finals in the late stages of the regular season.

Thus, the NBA allowed starting the following year to allow the best second-place team in the conference to have a 2 or 3 seed if they had a better record than at least one division winner. Later on the NBA decided to not guarantee top four seeds for a division winner, let alone a playoff berth, but in practice, all division winners play well enough to make the NBA playoffs.

So, the NBA should be used as a model for how playoff seeds are determined. I feel that the two best teams in either NFL conference should only be allowed to meet in the CCG, even if they are from the same division, meaning a second place team could potentially earn their conference's 2 seed if the 1 seed is a division rival.

The Chiefs and Chargers both went 12-4 in 2018, but the former was given the 1 seed by tiebreaker, and the Chargers never had a home playoff game (which would have been their first since 2009), losing to the Patriots in the second round, and they have not been the same since.

33 minutes ago, pf9 said:

Under my playoff format which is 16 teams (thus eliminating the first round bye completely) and removes seeding priority for division winners, the Giants would right now have the 8 seed and have to open the playoffs in New Orleans, where they have not won since 1993.

Are they currently playing under YOUR playoff format? 

14 minutes ago, lod01 said:

Once hurts flops, and flop he will, they will fire Pederson and start the process of fixing the immense damage he has caused.

What happens when you're wrong, and Hurts doesn't flop? 

Edited by Heinz D.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Are they currently playing under YOUR playoff format?

They should adopt the format in stages

Next year should see the removal of division winner seeding priority. If a division winner is bad enough, I feel it should only have the 7 seed in the 14-team bracket. A weak division winner going on to win the Super Bowl without ever having a home playoff game would be a more believable Cinderella story. In this format, the Giants would have to win in three tough environments just to get to the Super Bowl - Seattle, New Orleans, and Green Bay (likely in that order). And the Giants have not won in the Superdome since 1993 (retroactively a huge reason why I am upset about 2011).

After the current CBA expires, no doubt the next one will expand the playoffs to 16 teams, which would completely eliminate the first-round bye - which has become too much of a competitive advantage in recent years.

Edited by pf9

22 minutes ago, pf9 said:

After the current CBA expires, no doubt the next one will expand the playoffs to 16 teams, which would completely eliminate the first-round bye - which has become too much of a competitive advantage in recent years.

I feel they should just give every playoff team a bye before the first round, similar to before the SB.  Or every team 2 byes in general (1 in each half of the season).

On 11/30/2020 at 1:32 PM, Art_Vandalay said:

Skins will win the division for sure. With Alex Smith finding a rhythm and the D-line dominating, I wouldn't be surprised to see them win a playoff game. My guess is they give PIT their first loss next week.

Good call on that one, Art!

Edited by Uncle Buck