Broncos set landmark for average on drops.

BullsandBroncos

1 hour ago, BullsandBroncos said:

The NFL league average right now is 1 drop per 15 catchable passes. 

Denver averages 1 drop per 8 catchable passes. 

A lot of this is because of Hamilton, Jeudy, and Albert O, but my god. I hope they have plans to improve this. 

I wouldn't worry much about it with the rookies. No preseason and first time on the NFL stage. Hamilton has no excuses though.

The drops is obviously not good, but it is really compounded by the fact we're so banged up. If you've got Peyton Manning at QB with DT, Sanders, Julius Thomas and Wes Welker out there then you can compensate for drops.

The problem is that this Offense is dealing with such fine margins right now. Every hold (very few of them, I should add), every drop, every miscommunication matters to a team this inexperienced. 

I said it plenty during the game in the gamethread that this team can't drop 3 easy TDs on 3 different drives and expect to win football games on the road. 

In a year without offseason practice, with 1st and 2nd year receivers, and where we have yet to have the same QB throwing them passes for more than 10 consecutive days in games/practice? Yeah I could see where there might be a few drops. If lock stays healthy and they’re still dropping the ball at this rate against the falcons I’ll start to get worried

• Like 1

Having watched the replays of the major drops in question, I'm not that worried about rookie drops.    Playing against NFL level D's and the bump/running that NE was employing, that's part of the adjustment phase rookies get into - and that's what happened with the 3 big NE drops I saw.   I do agree with the point that Hamilton's drops are more worrisome - especially since hands and route running are his bread and butter, he lacks the explosion / elusiveness / athleticism to win. 

Either way, it's something to look for...but it's still too small a sample size, especially with different QB's in as well, to get too fussed about.  Worth tracking, yes.   Drawing conclusions, way too soon.

DaeSean was going to have to be technically superb to be an impact player in the league, and he’s dropped half his big play opportunities. He’s played a lot through almost 2.5 years as a pretty polished college prospect, so I think it’s safe to say he’s not a starter in this league.

But that’s fine because Patrick has emerged as a legitimately good wide receiver who also gives you big play potential, and Jeudy and Hamler have already shown off some route running prowess early to pair with their superior athleticism. Both guys have the potential to be mismatches in the slot. There’s no future for Hamilton here, so I hope Hamler replaces him full time once he’s back from injury and Cleveland starts getting more run in the rotation too.

I’ll just add and I know it has been argued, but Jerry Jeudy had drop issues in college.  His drops and lack of physicality were his only real knocks as a prospect.  It is why I had CeeDee Lamb as the slightly better prospect.  While similar sized, CeeDee plays a more physical brand of football.

Edited by germ-x

6 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

DaeSean was going to have to be technically superb to be an impact player in the league, and he’s dropped half his big play opportunities. He’s played a lot through almost 2.5 years as a pretty polished college prospect, so I think it’s safe to say he’s not a starter in this league.

But that’s fine because Patrick has emerged as a legitimately good wide receiver who also gives you big play potential, and Jeudy and Hamler have already shown off some route running prowess early to pair with their superior athleticism. Both guys have the potential to be mismatches in the slot. There’s no future for Hamilton here, so I hope Hamler replaces him full time once he’s back from injury and Cleveland starts getting more run in the rotation too.

Agreed.  I am excited to see what this offense could look like fully healthy.

The NFL is a copy cat league and it seems always rolls through trends.  Right now the offense is the trend, but I really like the direction Denver has gone (more like KC) as opposed to what the 49ers have done, even though some of things they’re doing offensively are exceptional.

KC just has an excellent balance of skills position players being able be schemed to create after the catch or hurt a defense vertically.  The 49ers have basically went all in on satellite players.  Shanahan schemes it beautifully, but it also makes them one dimensional and lacking a vertical aspect for the offense.

Denver checks off almost every box when it comes to skill position talent when everyone is healthy.  Man. Sutton, Jeudy, Hamler, Fant, Albert O......don’t know what more could be asked for.  

Edited by germ-x

13 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Agreed.  I am excited to see what this offense could look like fully healthy.

The NFL is a copy cat league and it seems always rolls through trends.  Right now the offense is the trend, but I really like the direction Denver has gone (more like KC) as opposed to what the 49ers have done, even though some of things they’re doing offensively are exceptional.

KC just has an excellent balance of skills position players being able be schemed to create after the catch or hurt a defense vertically.  The 49ers have basically went all in on satellite players.  Shanahan schemes it beautifully, but it also makes them one dimensional and lacking a vertical aspect for the offense.

Denver checks off almost every box when it comes to skill position talent when everyone is healthy.  Man. Sutton, Jeudy, Hamler, Fant, Albert O......don’t know what more could be asked for.  

Throw in Patrick and the RBs, everyone is a homerun threat. Look at the way less than half those guys being on the field stressed the Pats’ excellent secondary vertically. The combination of elite physical tools in this group is pretty ridiculous and easily the best we’ve had in team history. And the talent ideally complements the strengths of our QB and play caller. The QB wants to hunt for big plays and improvise to give those guys chances, and Shurmur likes vertical shots and crossers.

The Giants offense without Shurmur and Shula looks horrendous. Unfortunate for Jones that Shurmur was a lousy HC, that was a good coaching staff for a young QB to play under.