Dolphins name Tua starting QB

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, Phinsesq said:

The idea that the basketball finals correlates to the NFL and what may or may not occur is a fallacy. This team is not a Superbowl contender at the moment. Of course players want to win, who wouldn't, but they are also professionals. No free agent or veteran should realistically have felt that this was Miami's year. In the end they all know, or have reasonable notice that they are building towards something. While possibly some teammates are surprised by the timing of the move I do not believe this locker room will revolt over the move. Fitz absolutely has a right to feel disappointed in the move, at the same time these are all "professionals", regardless of who is behind center, do your job and you very well may still be on the team if/when they are a legitimate contender which starting Tua now as opposed to later gets them closer to that ultimate goal.   

Im not saying it correlates but players in Miami just saw the Heat do something more improbable than the Dolphins potentially making a playoff run. 5 seeds in the NBA have almost never made the finals. It's relevant to the discussion for two reasons:

First, the players psyche - you said no player should reasonably expect to contend there. After blowing out the NFC champs - we can talk about the Niners injuries and all that but they don't care. They're taking it one game at a time.

Second, the NFL might do something like a playoff bubble - the NBA saw a team weirdly dominate in the bubble that nobody expected - the weirdness of 2020, who knows? 

This message tells the current players that it's about the future instead of the now - this has happened throughout history, obviously - but never that I can recall after back to back blow out wins. That's what makes this move so strange

18 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Im not saying it correlates but players in Miami just saw the Heat do something more improbable than the Dolphins potentially making a playoff run. 5 seeds in the NBA have almost never made the finals. It's relevant to the discussion for two reasons:

First, the players psyche - you said no player should reasonably expect to contend there. After blowing out the NFC champs - we can talk about the Niners injuries and all that but they don't care. They're taking it one game at a time.

Second, the NFL might do something like a playoff bubble - the NBA saw a team weirdly dominate in the bubble that nobody expected - the weirdness of 2020, who knows? 

This message tells the current players that it's about the future instead of the now - this has happened throughout history, obviously - but never that I can recall after back to back blow out wins. That's what makes this move so strange

Really we just have to agree to disagree, while I do genuinely like Fitzpatrick, he is not the future of this team, and this team is as much a play off caliber team as whoever manages to eek out the top spot in the NFC east. Regardless, Fitz has never appeared in the post season, there are legitimate reasons for that, Fitz tragic is always the other side of the coin.

Yes Miami does have 2 blow out wins  they beat up on the Jets (and managed to do nothing in the second half of that game) and were 1 for 9 on 3rd downs. They blew up a depleted 49er team that rushed Jimmy G. back into the starting line up and  Fitz smartly picked on their inexperienced corner the entire game.

I am thrilled with the wins but I do keep it in context with against who, and how those victories came about. The scoring was great but the circumstances surrounding or underlying those scores are concerning and those same factors are a far better predictor of the remainder of the season. Miami's schedule isn't filled with "Jets" caliber teams, exploitable corner backs, and injured QB's nor is it filled with teams where we can convert one 3rd down and expect to win. The playoffs if we were to make it, definitely wouldn't be.

If Tua is the future (which I hope) better to put him in now and start finding out. You can learn vital things about him this season, where he needs to improve, where his strengths are in the pro game. In all honesty he likely won't be a finished  product at the start of next year but he will be that much closer. 

21 hours ago, Emerica said:

Yeah, if you don't buy in with the team first mentality and if you don't want to work you're obviously not going to be given a free pass. He's changed the culture around the organization in one and a half season. **** him I guess.

Tunsil trade and Rosen release have nothing to do with your narrative. Don't know who Flaherty is either btw. Edit: Are you talking about the former OL coach? Lol

20 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Uh, no he's not

The defense played lights out in all three of our wins...

I was skeptical about Flores as first but he's definitely exceeded my expectations. No idea what your reservations are about him, but the team has played beyond the sum of its parts under his tenure.

Minkah was unfortunate for sure but he didn't buy in when we were shedding our dead money.

We received a king's bounty for Stills & Tunsil... not sure how that wasn't the right move no matter how you look at it.

The only mistake we made with Rosen was trading for him in the first place.

Flaherty? The ****s a Flaherty?

Try winning those games with a ****ty QB.

Things I read about Flores and how he does things...like blasting Jay Z when the Kaepernick/NFL thing was at peak controversy, firing a coach by training camp, letting go of obvious talents over "not buying in". Now hearing how he did Fitzpatrick...I just get a **** vibe from him.

Kudos to him for that defense already looking better, but I feel like any offensive success was all about Fitz.

12 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

Things I read about Flores and how he does things...like blasting Jay Z when the Kaepernick/NFL thing was at peak controversy, firing a coach by training camp, letting go of obvious talents over "not buying in". Now hearing how he did Fitzpatrick...I just get a **** vibe from him.

Kudos to him for that defense already looking better, but I feel like any offensive success was all about Fitz.

lol

I suppose you're entitled to your opinion

13 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Tua will be the first left handed QB to start a game since Kellen Moore in 2015.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/tua-tagovailoa-set-to-give-the-nfl-something-it-hasnt-seen-at-quarterback-in-nearly-five-years/amp/

I find this fascinating. 

Definitely the most relevant left-handed QB since Vick, I'd think.

14 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Dolphins RT suddenly is exponentially more valuable!

And it's not like you can flip flop your LT/RT - there's so much that goes into footwork and hand placement, it would be like asking someone to bat lefty or throw lefty - just completely different mechanically.

22 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

Very uninformed take. He may have been instrumental in the three wins but he was just as responsible for the three losses. The way you're talking about him you'd think he deserved a statue outside Hard Rock Stadium.

Let's not get it twisted. It was a great story and all but Ryan Fitzpatrick is who we thought he was. 

29 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Dolphins RT suddenly is exponentially more valuable!

Drafted Austin Jackson in the 1st and Robert Hunt in the 2nd. Hunt has started the last two games at RT after beginning the season as backup and he has looked pretty good. Mauler in the run game but will need work as a pass protector. Still looked pretty solid for a rookie. I know its not saying much but this is the best OLine we've had in 8+ seasons.

Edited by Emerica

7 minutes ago, Emerica said:

Drafted Austin Jackson in the 1st and Robert Hunt in the 2nd. Hunt has started the last two games at RT after beginning the season as backup and he has looked pretty good. Mauler in the run game but will need work as a pass protector. Still looked pretty solid for a rookie. I know its not saying much but this is the best OLine we've had in 8+ seasons.

Did you see that one play vs the Jets who sent 3 guys against the right side? Hunt blocked 2 of them at once but RG Kindley got befuddled by the 3 vs 2 and allowed his guy to slip past.

I was like 'did Robert Hunt just block two grown men by himself?!?'

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

lol

I suppose you're entitled to your opinion

47 minutes ago, Emerica said:

Very uninformed take. He may have been instrumental in the three wins but he was just as responsible for the three losses. The way you're talking about him you'd think he deserved a statue outside Hard Rock Stadium.

Let's not get it twisted. It was a great story and all but Ryan Fitzpatrick is who we thought he was. 

All fair. I think Fitz is an especially underrated QB. That culture change that's being credited to Flores...imo that's just Fitzpatrick.

meh. Tua time now. We'll see how that goes.

• 1 month later...