Dolphins name Tua starting QB

RaidersAreOne

Just now, BobbyPhil1781 said:

It's obviously not. I find the timing to start him against one of the greatest linemen in the game right now just very, very strange. Maybe let him ease himself in against, you know, someone who isn't an MVP candidate every year. Seems a little more fitting to me but what do I know? I just type on a computer all day for my job.

Or maybe you have a bye week and that is the best time to start a rookie QB to give him the extra prep.

Are you saying that they should have waited until they played the Cardinals, for example, on normal week’s rest? Would that have been better?

Just now, BobbyPhil1781 said:

It's obviously not. I find the timing to start him against one of the greatest linemen in the game right now just very, very strange. Maybe let him ease himself in against, you know, someone who isn't an MVP candidate every year. Seems a little more fitting to me but what do I know? I just type on a computer all day for my job.

This is the NFL my guy. He was a top 5 pick and viewed as a pro ready guy. 

You're going into a bye week with two weeks of preparation. That's literally the most ideal time for any QB change/switch of the reigns. Losing/getting beat handily is going to likely happen to him plenty, and this may be one of those games. Doesn't mean you shelter him...

Just now, bigbadbuff said:

Or maybe you have a bye week and that is the best time to start a rookie QB to give him the extra prep.

Are you saying that they should have waited until they played the Cardinals, for example, on normal week’s rest? Would that have been better?

Personally, I would've waited until next year. You're in a playoff race and your offense is putting up points. Why make the change at all?

Just now, .Buzz said:

This is the NFL my guy. He was a top 5 pick and viewed as a pro ready guy. 

You're going into a bye week with two weeks of preparation. That's literally the most ideal time for any QB change/switch of the reigns. Losing/getting beat handily is going to likely happen to him plenty, and this may be one of those games. Doesn't mean you shelter him...

I absolutely agree it's the most ideal time but that doesn't mean you have to do it. If they were playing like dog****, I agree, but they're not.

9 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

It’s the National Football League. Do the Rams hurt players more than other teams? I’m confused by this.

No but Aaron Donald hits QB'S more then any other player in the NFL. Also still missing the point.

Dolphins 1 game out, 2 game winning streak (3 of  the last 4), Fitz not playing horrific?

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

Timing is only odd cause we are use to teams and coaches playing the short game and trying to win as many games as possible. Instead of playing long game. This is the perfect time to give him live snaps. Why wait? So fitz can maybe take you to a wildcard game. Pssh no thanks. If I'm going to playoffs its gonna be with the guy I plan on having here for a while. 

Oh and who you play shouldn't factor into this decision at all. Donald shouldn't be a deciding factor at all. 

5 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I absolutely agree it's the most ideal time but that doesn't mean you have to do it. If they were playing like dog****, I agree, but they're not.

I mean, have you checked their schedule to see the games they won? The Jets, Jaguars, and hobbled Garrapolo led SF. Not sure how much confidence that instills in being a team ready to make the step. Sure, they beat teams they should've beat but we really think Fitz continues this trend in general but more so against legit competition? Tua, at least for me, presents the opportunity for something special. Fitz MAY squeek you into WC consideration and blow it the final week or two.

Love Fitz, but we gotta be honest with what he is.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

I mean, have you checked their schedule to see the games they won? The Jets, Jaguars, and hobbled Garrapolo led SF. Not sure how much confidence that instills in being a team ready to make the step. Sure, they beat teams they should've beat but we really think Fitz continues this trend in general but more so against legit competition? Tua, at least for me, presents the opportunity for something special. Fitz MAY squeek you into WC consideration and blow it the final week or two.

Love Fitz, but we gotta be honest with what he is.

That's fine, you'd rather take into account what he's done in his past and go for the unproven guy when you're a game out of first place and playing well. I just don't agree especially against one of the best defensive lines in the NFL. While you bring up the teams they've beat, let's not discount the fact that they've lost two games by one score and a total of 21 points for all three games. Not like they're being blown out or anything.

3 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

That's fine, you'd rather take into account what he's done in his past and go for the unproven guy when you're a game out of first place and playing well. I just don't agree especially against one of the best defensive lines in the NFL. While you bring up the teams they've beat, let's not discount the fact that they've lost two games by one score and a total of 21 points for all three games. Not like they're being blown out or anything.

The unproven guy that you took top 5? Yeah...I'd say so.

Fitzpatrick is 38 years old and we've seen this story a ton of times. If you want to buy that this is the year, after numerous places, where he puts it together and stays consistent I guess that's fine. But I disagree. It appears the Phins do too.

See what you have in the young guy. You have a competent team and coaching staff in house so there's a good setup for a young QB that not many have the luxury of having. He should've been starting from the get go (if he was 100), appears he is now.

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

The unproven guy that you took top 5? Yeah...I'd say so.

Fitzpatrick is 38 years old and we've seen this story a ton of times. If you want to buy that this is the year, after numerous places, where he puts it together and stays consistent I guess that's fine. But I disagree. It appears the Phins do too.

See what you have in the young guy. You have a competent team and coaching staff in house so there's a good setup for a young QB that not many have the luxury of having. He should've been starting from the get go (if he was 100), appears he is now.

Nothing wrong w/ disagreeing here. The goal of the game is to win. You're winning now and the games you haven't, you've been damn close against some good teams. They don't seem to like what they see so they've yanked him. I absolutely disagree w/ that. If they were losing or playing poorly, no way I'd disagree, but they're not doing either of those things. We'll just see how long that leash is.

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

7 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Nothing wrong w/ disagreeing here. The goal of the game is to win. You're winning now and the games you haven't, you've been damn close against some good teams. They don't seem to like what they see so they've yanked him. I absolutely disagree w/ that. If they were losing or playing poorly, no way I'd disagree, but they're not doing either of those things. We'll just see how long that leash is.

For me, if their 3 wins were against even a legit team or two, maybe you'd wait and see.

But they literally beat 2 teams that won't top 2 wins this year and a team that has had a ton of injuries and were playing a very evident injured QB. I'm not going to act like the team is something they're not for beating garbage teams that they're clearly better than (guess maybe not SF, but...).

Delaying the development of your young QB who's ready because of what the Dolphins have done just isn't it imo.

Not to mention the original argument I was arguing was the injury concerns. That should have zero bearing if they took him 5th overall and deem him good to go.

9 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

What are you talking about? Fitzy will implode for multiple games not just one. We’ve seen it time and time again. Tua has 2 weeks of preparation. Is going against the Rams ideal? No. But if he’s fully healthy you shouldn’t be scared to let your first round quarterback play. Stupid thinking. If Tua didn’t shred his hip 11 months ago, he’d have been starting day 1, he was pro ready. If he’s 100% he plays. 

Imagine the Trevor Lawrence’s new team has to face the Rams first game next year, do you sit him? No he starts game one no matter what. If Tua is ready he’s ready. The opponent doesn’t mater. It isn’t like the Rams are this all time great defense either. 

I see.  We're invoking certainty for only those things that fit your argument and not those that might go against it.  Gotcha!  Tua has two weeks of preparation.  Good for Tua.  The offense is more than just the QB, particularly when you're talking switching to a left-handed QB.  Again, this ISN'T Madden.  Two weeks to flip an offense that had been playing well to accomodate a left-handed QB (meaning your X- and Z-receivers are running their routes/plays from the opposite side they've just been doing so for the last 6 weeks, your OL is making those same inversions where - the center aside - your LOT may have the easiest transition of any of them if he stays as a blindside protector, if not, your ROT's job just became immensely more difficult).

I get it, you want Tua to succeed.  So do I.  I even get why the Dolphins feel the need to do this because Fitz is on a 1-year deal and you'd rather have him as the guy in your young QB's earhole during said guy's first half-season under center.  But don't fall into the trap that too many people on this site and on the internet in general do of crapping on the current grass just to further a "grass is greener on the other side of the fence" argument.

The Trevor Lawrence supposition is a pure strawman.  Trevor Lawrence isn't 11 months removed from taking a football hit (without a preseason), from having to process (potentially faster) in-game play speed.

There's also the message to the rest of the team that has to be considered - that I realize fans either don't consider or want to discount (probably because most fans never played the game past the peewee level) - either way this is a negative narrative you're sending to your players who have been busting their butts to get you to the level of success you've enjoyed so far this season (2nd in the division, legitimately able to be considered in the playoff hunt albeit early - evidently the decision that the QB swap was going to happen regardless of how well they did in those first 6 weeks isn't a great message for the culture).  It very much possible for this to be the right decision for the long-term but simultaneously be a badly-timed decision and have negative aspects to it.  This isn't a zero-sum game and shades of gray exist.