Dolphins name Tua starting QB

RaidersAreOne

I mean you can only sit on the sideline and learn so long. At some point it does nothing for you. They gave him 6 games of 'watching/learning and 1 bye week to prepare. Seems like the right choice. The only thing I would have been more comfortable with is getting his feet wet in the final few games once knowing if the Dolphins were going to the playoffs or not.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I mean you can only sit on the sideline and learn so long. At some point it does nothing for you. They gave him 6 games of 'watching/learning and 1 bye week to prepare. Seems like the right choice. The only thing I would have been more comfortable with is getting his feet wet in the final few games once knowing if the Dolphins were going to the playoffs or not.

I disagree with this take because I think you are underestimating the learning curve of the NFL. Granted it is a limited sample size, but look at all the 1st round quarterbacks who sat for over a year or at least close to it before playing their first game:

Rodgers
Mahomes
Rivers
Brees (1st pick of 2nd round)
Palmer
Culpepper
McNair (Started at the very end of his rookie season)

I don't think people give enough credit to teams that exercise patience with their rookie 1st round quarterbacks.

8 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I disagree with this take because I think you are underestimating the learning curve of the NFL. Granted it is a limited sample size, but look at all the 1st round quarterbacks who sat for over a year or at least close to it before playing their first game:

Rodgers
Mahomes
Rivers
Palmer
Culpepper

I don't think people give enough credit to teams that exercise patience with their rookie 1st round quarterbacks.

I mean yeah, but the list of equally great players who started week 1 somewhat immediately is even longer. Just off my head you have Russell Wilson, Cam Netwon, Lamar Jackson, Matt Ryan, Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning, ect ect ect

I personally dont think there is a perfect solution or answer. I think people see what Rodgers/Farve did 15 years ago and just because it worked really well then, you see a lot more teams trying to adopt that same structure now. It also has flops, for every Rodgers/Favre situation you have a Manning/Osweiler situation. 

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 minute ago, Tetsujin said:

The only issue I have is announcing it nearly 2 weeks ahead of time. 

Why? Did you want them to not practice with him as the #1 over the next two weeks? Or did you expect that they could have him taking #1 reps and that no one would report on it?

41 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Rodgers
Mahomes
Rivers
Palmer
Culpepper

you forgot at least one: jake locker lol

5 hours ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I personally enjoy watching Fitzmagic play, but that's besides the point. He has not given them any reason thus far to bench him. If anyone says they predicted Miami to be a game out of first place in the AFC East at this point in the season, they would be lying. At least give him a chance to "implode"; it's not like Miami has Super Bowl expectations this season.

Really, my critique is more so in regards to concern for Tua than any affinity towards Fitzpatrick. You bench your starter who has the team on a 2 game win streak, to throw your rookie into the fire against the Rams and Aaron Donald in his first start. What happens if he has a horrible game? What happen if the team suddenly goes on a losing streak, due in part to the performance of Tua and the overall morale of the team wanes? The only person that suffers in that scenario is Tua.

Then Tua was never the future in the first place. Eli got over it when the Giants gave him the keys at 5-4 in 2004 and the team finished 6-10. Whatever happens this year is a throwaway for Tua anyway. 

5 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

It was a 7-0 lead. We lost 14-7. Shut Miami down all game until two late TD drives

You’re right I don’t know why I said 14-0. Felt like it the way the Rams were shutting down Miami. Fisher got too conservative going for FG in the rain when he should’ve went for it on 4th down like just too conservative as the game got deeper and it cost Goff a win in his first career start. 

1 minute ago, showtime said:

I don't see the issue with this.  If Tua is ready to play, then he should be playing.  Fitzpatrick has been playing awesome, but he's just a stop gap QB.  Great move by the Dolphins.

Imagine giving the dude a full covid free offseason program with the expectation that he would start having already been made comfortable with the NFL season? Let's remember how incredibly a-typical this offseason was. 

• Like 1