Mark Bullock of the Athletic evaluates Kyle Allen

turtle28

All in all, Kyle Allen is who we thought he was. He’s athletic and can make some plays, but sometimes that athleticism makes him pass on things that he should hit right away. He has a solid arm and can make all the throws like the TD passes to Cam Sims and Logan Thomas but his decision making isn’t always the best.

It seems to me - like Haskins - that he isn’t comfortable in the pocket and isn’t hitting some WRs when the first break open. He’s late on some things or just flat out misses them. Perhaps that gets better as the season goes on and he plays more. I’m hopeful that with more playing time that he’ll get more comfortable in the pocket, in his reads, get the ball out faster and not miss his 2nd or 3rd options when they come open after the 1st option isn’t there.

I still am not happy with the play-calling, there’s not enough balance. We don’t have a true back up RB to Gibson and that’s an issue and our OL blocking is an issue as the OL is learning this new scheme and Logan Thomas can’t block. 

McKissic is a poor man’s Chris Thompson and should be used more in the slot as @lavar703 has said all year. McKissic’s lack of vision and awful blocking are a big problem for our offense. At least w/ CT he had great vision as a RB and despite his size he’d give you all he had as a blocker. On the Kyle Allen fumble that was returned for a TD, McKissic got bowled over, it’s was a comical attempt as a block.

3 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Watching this- I don't think our O-line is as bad as advertised . A lot of it is on the QBs. 

Yes, I’ve tried to relay that but most don’t want to hear it. Of course it also helps when Scherff comes back and Wes Martin was replaced at LG first by Charles and then by Wes Scherweitzer.

Gerron Christian has more growth to do and needs to get stronger at the point of attack in the run game but he’s a serviceable LT. He certainly has the athleticism to be a solid pass blocking LT. Moses has had his best year since 2016. Roullier has done well also. It’s just Wes Martin was bad and people lost sight of it being more just on him and not the entire OL.

4 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Watching this- I don't think our O-line is as bad as advertised . A lot of it is on the QBs. 

I tend to agree with this, although with the caveat that the line being decent rests on a razor’s edge known as full health. 

When you’re going Schweitzer-Roullier-Scherff-Moses from LG to RT, that’s 80% of a decent but unspectacular OL. Christian is still a weak spot, but he’s proven somewhat capable of holding his own on most snaps in pass pro at least. He’s hurting us, but not killing us, if that makes sense. 

The problem is that this is an injury prone group, and we’ve already seen — in painfully obvious fashion — what happens when they get another weak link inserted in the chain. The whole thing falls apart. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I tend to agree with this, although with the caveat that the line being decent rests on a razor’s edge known as full health. 

When you’re going Schweitzer-Roullier-Scherff-Moses from LG to RT, that’s 80% of a decent but unspectacular OL. Christian is still a weak spot, but he’s proven somewhat capable of holding his own on most snaps in pass pro at least. He’s hurting us, but not killing us, if that makes sense. 

The problem is that this is an injury prone group, and we’ve already seen — in painfully obvious fashion — what happens when they get another weak link inserted in the chain. The whole thing falls apart. 

Agreed, Scherff gets hurt every year now - we’ll ever since his 3rd year in the league - Scherweitzer & Charles’s injuries in camp hurt our LG position to start off the season bc Wes Martin was the only healthy option and the others hadn’t been practicing enough to where Rivera/Scott felt comfortable going with them. 

I’m sure we’ll continue to address depth along the OL next draft. Get some competition for Christian at LT, Charles/Scherweitzer/Martin at LG and for our depth OTs like Cornelius & Sharpe.

I watched the game back today over lunch and noticed most of those instances that Bullock points out. The concerning thing is that a couple of Allen’s best plays — the 4th down completion to Inman and the fade TD to Thomas in particular — came where there was a much easier and equally or similarly valuable throw available to him and he chose to make it significantly more difficult than it had to be. 

DHall tried to place a lot of the blame for the pick on Isaiah Wright for not clearing the zone with his defender and opening up the area for the throw to Terry. And Wright definitely is a lazy/raw route runner, but it was still a terrible throw Allen should never have made. The sack/fumble was awful and cost us the game, but the even deeper cause for concern was that he damn near fumbled on another sack, the one where Leonard Williams caught him on the play fake/boot action for the big loss. His ball security is just awful. 

For me, it was a C/C- performance overall. Clearly better than Haskins against ARI and CLE. Comparable to Haskins against PHI and BAL. Did more good things, but turnovers kill you. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Maybe in pass protection but they get no push in the run game whatsoever.

Yeah, these clips are all passes, it’s Mark Bullock’s analysis of Kyle Allen’s play.

Also, the push in the OL takes a bit of a hit when you run a ZBS scheme. I remember that being an issue when Shanahan was here too.

28 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

The best thing that can happen now that they’ve given up on Dwayne Haskins is for Kyle Allen to flop. I can’t have them believing he’s a long term answer.

Yeah, we don’t need Ron Rivera staking his reputation on Kyle Allen being able to play like Mike Shanahan did in Jon Beck. That’s how your reputation goes in the crapper.

13 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, we don’t need Ron Rivera staking his reputation on Kyle Allen being able to play like Mike Shanahan did in Jon Beck. That’s how your reputation goes in the crapper.

I still think that was bullhockey, they knew what they had. It was a one year stop gap till they fixed it next season. Maybe that's what Ron is doing this year. 

7 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I still think that was bullhockey, they knew what they had. It was a one year stop gap till they fixed it next season. Maybe that's what Ron is doing this year. 

Well it’s just another lie that coaches tell then, it gets old. If they don’t believe it’s true, don’t say it. 

On 10/20/2020 at 7:21 PM, turtle28 said:

Since I'm becoming less and less convinced that Rivera was the right hire, I'm not totally against him staking his reputation on Allen.

Of course, that assumes that Snyder realizes his folly and changes course. Again. Which isn't good. At the same time, I'm not sure I want Rivera picking "his guy" at QB.