Weak 7 Game Day Thread: @ Houston

incognito_man

Best Ty or Tyler of this game?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Best Ty or Tyler of this game?

14 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

And you come off in your stances as automatically assuming it's Rodgers that can't get on the same page with him. Maybe, just maybe, MVS isn't a good football player and shouldn't be asked to run those routes? 

You're inferring things that aren't there at this point. 

10 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

MVS had a catch rate on intermediate targets equivalent to Davante last year. For all the criticism of the dude, when given opportunities he's been good. 

Not that I can think of these things myself, but I do rather agree with the sentiment that he can't seem to be trusted with a lot of newly learned finesse routes. He benefits from a simpler route tree that emphasizes his strengths. Getting on the same page as 12 isn't one of his strengths. Giving MVS the sweep was a nice bone to toss to him. That play doesn't usually seem to work for us any other time, and this may have just been a struggling defense, but what other than pure speed gives that play a chance to work? So, yeah, I love MVS and I think it's the coaches' duty to make that odd part work well--like a spinnaker sail when the wind is just so.

[Edit] I also think that there was enough evidence that 12 was still a bit less than perfect on his throws that we can't know whether routes or ball placement were the problem between MVS and Aaron yesterday. A nice win will certainly make the film rooms a more pleasant place to break down the issues and fix them come Monday.

Edited by Uffdaswede

MVS and Rodgers just don't mesh. I don't know if MVS is sloppy on his route transition, but Aaron cannot accurately gauge where he's going to be. I know he's had trouble in the past maintaining the necessary depth on his routes. By the same token, he doesn't have issues getting the ball to Lazard on go routes or double moves.

Edited by Howler

Just re-hashing the game here.

Overall, I'd say we were a B- to solid B.

Offense.

Did Rogers throw it on time?  Check.

Did he extend a few plays when needed?  Check.  But not rely on the scramble drill?  Check.

Did he show positive emotion and body language?  Emphatic check.

Did he have eyes for other guys not named Davante?  Nope.

Thought the o-line was very good, even with Bakh.

Thought J. Williams had a great game, very happy for him.

Defense.

Odd game.  We were in the bend but not break defense a lot of the time.  And it worked.

Loved seeing some blitzes towards the end.

Thought Martin brought a little more juice to the ILB unit.

Z was pretty good, but not outstanding.  P had his moments, loved that 4'th down stop.  Gary was okay.

Jaire was lockdown.  Again.

Overall.

Funny game.  I didn't feel like the outcome was ever in doubt.  

We had some minutes of brilliance.  And some minutes of duds.

Special teams were poor.  Dexter Williams gave very little effort on the punt block.  We seemed a little lost on the squib onside.

Without specials, I could probably give this a B+.  But their gaffe's take it down a notch.

Either way, a win is a win.  But certainly there is much to improve upon for our next game.

25 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Just re-hashing the game here.

Overall, I'd say we were a B- to solid B.

Offense.

Did Rogers throw it on time?  Check.

Did he extend a few plays when needed?  Check.  But not rely on the scramble drill?  Check.

Did he show positive emotion and body language?  Emphatic check.

Did he have eyes for other guys not named Davante?  Nope.

Thought the o-line was very good, even with Bakh.

Thought J. Williams had a great game, very happy for him.

Defense.

Odd game.  We were in the bend but not break defense a lot of the time.  And it worked.

Loved seeing some blitzes towards the end.

Thought Martin brought a little more juice to the ILB unit.

Z was pretty good, but not outstanding.  P had his moments, loved that 4'th down stop.  Gary was okay.

Jaire was lockdown.  Again.

Overall.

Funny game.  I didn't feel like the outcome was ever in doubt.  

We had some minutes of brilliance.  And some minutes of duds.

Special teams were poor.  Dexter Williams gave very little effort on the punt block.  We seemed a little lost on the squib onside.

Without specials, I could probably give this a B+.  But their gaffe's take it down a notch.

Either way, a win is a win.  But certainly there is much to improve upon for our next game.

I get the sentiment about forcing it to Adams, but it's not like he didn't try to throw to other receivers.

Gary got screwed out of a sack by P Smith jumping offsides.

I was wondering why Dexter Williams was on ST's. He can't pass-pro for crap, but I'm sure he'll be demoted or cut altogether whenever it is Lazard and/or Ervin comes back...

Game was fun to watch, but doesn't mean much IMO. Yeah they got back on the winning track, but against a team like Houston you are supposed to win. If they can't beat teams like SEA, TB, pretty much anyone in the NFC west in prime time when it matters the most, it means nothing. Got a feeling when they travel to SF in a couple weeks, its going to look familiar to the TB game. Still don't think this WR core is good enough to contend with the really good defensive teams. Whoever receivers 3-5 are on the depth chart aren't going to beat anyone, still not sold on Lazard. He had 1 really good game and people act like he is this great number 2 receiver. Obviously he is hurt right now, but he needs to be a lot more consistent, someone Rodgers can rely on to win those 1 on 1 battles consistently like Adams.

Defensively its the same story, DL outside of Clark, it's weak. Preston Smith is no where to be found this year (he did have a good play against Watson on the option play on 4th down), play calling is questionable. I feel the secondary is solid and more improved than last year, but the play calling has put them in bad spots to make plays.

Going to be rough watching Derrick Henry break the rushing record against this defense when they play later in the year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Norm said:

I had to work but I'm getting the idea this might be worth watching still, yay or nay?

It’s worth it just for Jonathan Vilma’s outstanding commentary and his gushing over Montravious Adams and “Bobby” Turner. 

James-Franco-Wink-Gif-In-Spider-Man.gif

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

MVS had a catch rate on intermediate targets equivalent to Davante last year. For all the criticism of the dude, when given opportunities he's been good. 

Incorrect again... He's had a viscous problem with drops this year and is limited with with his route tree and catching radius. When Rodgers threw him a perfect BST a few weeks ago, it looked like he was going to have a seizure.

MVS is a nice 3rd WR for the Packers that serves a desperate need with his ability to take the top off the defense. But, that's all he is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe said:

I get the sentiment about forcing it to Adams, but it's not like he didn't try to throw to other receivers.

Gary got screwed out of a sack by P Smith jumping offsides.

I was wondering why Dexter Williams was on ST's. He can't pass-pro for crap, but I'm sure he'll be demoted or cut altogether whenever it is Lazard and/or Ervin comes back...

In regards to your first statement....Adams was also very open.

Regarding Dexter...man....if you are the 4th RB, just signed up from the practice squad, you've absolutely gotta make a better effort on the punt team.  Cuz when you don't, the NFL stands for "Not For Long".  ---thank you Jerry Glanville.

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

It’s worth it just for Jonathan Vilma’s outstanding commentary and his gushing over Montravious Adams and “Bobby” Turner. 

James-Franco-Wink-Gif-In-Spider-Man.gif

Lol I saw he was catching hell but I wasn't sure why. Not sure I've ever heard him do a game

11 minutes ago, Norm said:

Lol I saw he was catching hell but I wasn't sure why. Not sure I've ever heard him do a game

Honestly?  You should keep it that way.  If you watch the game, turn off the sound.  Vilma was that bad.  He made Greg Jennings sound good.  I think he even gave Booger a run for his money.

54 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Honestly?  You should keep it that way.  If you watch the game, turn off the sound.  Vilma was that bad.  He made Greg Jennings sound good.  I think he even gave Booger a run for his money.

I don't mute games but I have the sound low and I got that dad hearing that just somehow tunes it out. Old lady is always asking me what did he just say, and I never ever know. I'm sure I would have never noticed. I also tend to not rip on them much regardless, other than collinsmoron

Edited by Norm