Zac Taylor’s Culture and Future

SmittyBacall

2 hours ago, theJ said:

I think he'll get another year, right wrong or otherwise.

Personally i'm on the fence.  He's went through some stuff that would make it hard for any coach to win.  But on the other hand, a great coach would have found a way to win with this squad, at least some games.  We also knew that he was extremely green coming in, and that we would see some issues at first.

I definitely need to see results by next year or i'd like to see him gone.  This year, convince me otherwise i guess.

I guess for me I’ve seen enough of Taylor to form my opinion. 0 road wins is killer. I think he skipped a large step in his coaching career by not having some years of experience as a legit offensive coordinator, this “learning as you go” thing just doesn’t work in the NFL. 

so who do we want as our next head coach?

i’m really liking saleh even tho the feeling is that he goes to detroit. everywhere he’s been he has had success. most notably at LB since that’s what he’s mainly coached. i dont know how hands on a defensive quality control coach is which is what he was with houston (2 yrs as asst. LB coach) and seattle. 

LBs

houston: cushing / demeco ryans

seattle: developed kj wright and wagner 

jax: telvin smith / paul posluszny (edit: also had myles jack for his rookie year for what that’s worth)

san fran: warner / greenlaw / foster (good on the field player) 

Edited by BengalsBite

17 minutes ago, BengalsBite said:

so who do we want as our next head coach?

i’m really liking saleh even tho the feeling is that he goes to detroit. everywhere he’s been he has had success. most notably at LB since that’s what he’s mainly coached. i dont know how hands on a defensive quality control coach is which is what he was with houston (2 yrs as asst. LB coach) and seattle. 

LBs

houston: cushing / demeco ryans

seattle: developed kj wright and wagner 

jax: telvin smith / paul posluszny

san fran: warner / greenlaw / foster (good on the field player) 

I like Saleh as well.

i would love Urban Meyer but that probably won’t happen. 

Joe Brady would be interesting but i would be scared he would be too inexperienced 

2 minutes ago, Johnny Nix said:

i would love Urban Meyer but that probably won’t happen. 

Joe Brady would be interesting but i would be scared he would be too inexperienced 

i didn’t even think of meyer, would be interesting tho.

yea i agree with joe brady. i wouldn’t hate it but would be scared lol

I"d prefer someone with prior NFL head coaching experience.  The Bengals will certainly have to settle for leftovers in any coaching search but we could give Brady or Bienemy a chance if nobody else does it first. We gave Taylor a chance and he blew it, taking the team from 7-9 to 2-14 and looks headed for 2-13-1. 

That doesn't deserve another season and just prolongs the misery.

21 hours ago, sparky151 said:

The Bengals will certainly have to settle for leftovers in any coaching search

I'm not so sure about that.  Yeah the Bengals are a 2nd or 3rd tier draw alone, but the Burrow factor can't be underestimated.  A 2nd run coach is going to be very tempted to take the job bc they know the most important position is settled.

4 hours ago, theJ said:

I'm not so sure about that.  Yeah the Bengals are a 2nd or 3rd tier draw alone, but the Burrow factor can't be underestimated.  A 2nd run coach is going to be very tempted to take the job bc they know the most important position is settled.

Plus a draft full of high picks and already established talent 

8 hours ago, theJ said:

Eh, Burrow coming back from a major knee injury is less appealing than an unhurt Burrow. Probably less appealing than an unhurt Herbert or Lawrence or maybe Fields. Coaches can win with Stafford or Ryan too, they're not the problem in Detroit and Atlanta. It's hard to think of a job opening with fewer options than the Bengals. That's no reason to keep Taylor but he was already a 3rd tier coaching prospect. We should be able to get a 2nd tier prospect. 

12 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Eh, Burrow coming back from a major knee injury is less appealing than an unhurt Burrow. Probably less appealing than an unhurt Herbert or Lawrence or maybe Fields. Coaches can win with Stafford or Ryan too, they're not the problem in Detroit and Atlanta. It's hard to think of a job opening with fewer options than the Bengals. That's no reason to keep Taylor but he was already a 3rd tier coaching prospect. We should be able to get a 2nd tier prospect. 

Burrow will come back.  The injury being in early November helps that timetable (two full months sooner than Palmer) plus advances in medicine and recovery.  Palmer played game 1.  Burrow should as well, but if he misses a game or two, that isn't keeping a potential coach from coming here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Burrow will come back.  The injury being in early November helps that timetable (two full months sooner than Palmer) plus advances in medicine and recovery.  Palmer played game 1.  Burrow should as well, but if he misses a game or two, that isn't keeping a potential coach from coming here.

Agree with that.

17 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I would agree they can get a pretty good coach.  We'll have to see what happens, but if i were a betting man, i'd bet that Taylor sticks for one more year.

I'll be pissed if Taylor is kept around after another 2 win season. Dallas is pretty bad so maybe we get 3 wins. But what happens if Taylor stays and gets 5 or 6 wins in 2021? Does that mean we have to keep him for 2022 since he's "showing improvement"?

He's pretty obviously not a good NFL head coach. Flores also started 0-7 but has won more games than he lost since then. Taylor, no so much. There really is no good reason to retain him instead of looking for someone better. We'll hear excuses for him but even his defenders aren't making the case that he's the guy to take the Bengals far into the playoffs, let alone win a Super Bowl. His record is worse than Adam Gase's and nobody thinks Gase will be HC of the Jets next year.

Burrow got hurt due to bad playcalling behind a bad O-line. Bad O-line play seems to be a hallmark of Taylor's tenure as he didn't make any significant moves to improve the line either before his first or second seasons. Burrow will be back at some point but likely not for the start of training camp. And that's without any setbacks along the way. He'll also probably be at higher risk of reinjury than before it. 

19 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Does that mean we have to keep him for 2022 since he's "showing improvement"?

Depends on how it happens, but ya, that's probably what it means.

19 hours ago, sparky151 said:

And that's without any setbacks along the way. He'll also probably be at higher risk of reinjury than before it. 

Is there any evidence of that?  I can't really recall anyone off the top of my head that's torn the same ACL twice.  I'm sure it's happened, but there dozens of these every year, and the rate of reoccurrence doesn't seem to be high.  It seems to be non-existent.  I wouldn't worry about Burrow.  Especially when you consider most QB ACL tears seem to be on the front leg, and that's the one he injured.

2 hours ago, theJ said:

Depends on how it happens, but ya, that's probably what it means.

Is there any evidence of that?  I can't really recall anyone off the top of my head that's torn the same ACL twice.  I'm sure it's happened, but there dozens of these every year, and the rate of reoccurrence doesn't seem to be high.  It seems to be non-existent.  I wouldn't worry about Burrow.  Especially when you consider most QB ACL tears seem to be on the front leg, and that's the one he injured.

I'm not worried about Joe or Jonah.  Neither seem so tightly would that one ligament injury would add duress to others, and continue indefinitely.  This is why ross gets hurt so much.