Zac Taylor’s Culture and Future

SmittyBacall

46 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Keeping both coordinators will be the death of Taylor. 

We should get as many former HCs in the building as possible on both sides of the ball.

I doubt many want to come to Cincy at the moment.  Not until Taylor is gone.  It's basically asking for a 1 and done.

Yeah, that's part of the problem with keeping Taylor. He can't get good assistants. If the HC is a novice, the assistants are important. But he started late his first year, didn't take advantage of the opportunity after 2019 and now he's clinging to the job, will start on the hot seat next year, and will only be able to hire candidates with no better options elsewhere. 

36 minutes ago, theJ said:

I doubt many want to come to Cincy at the moment.  Not until Taylor is gone.  It's basically asking for a 1 and done.

If I was a former head coach, I'd gladly take a job here.  That way, I'm in place for the eventual an inevitable collapse next year, and would have my foot in the door to take over.  And once i got the job, I know I'd have 2+ seasons

1 hour ago, INbengalfan said:

If I was a former head coach, I'd gladly take a job here.  That way, I'm in place for the eventual an inevitable collapse next year, and would have my foot in the door to take over.  And once i got the job, I know I'd have 2+ seasons

That's one possibility.

My thoughts were a little disjointed when i posted this.  Let me clear it up.  Talking coordinators - they absolutely weren't going to get any future HC candidates to take that job this year.  That would be a huge risk to potentially set their career back a few years.  So keeping the coordinators probably made sense, if you're committed to Zac, because you know you're not doing better there.

For positional coaches, any prior HC's probably aren't harmed by taking a job.  It is a risk, because in likelihood, it is a one and done.  So you better have a great unit to set yourself for your next stint.  I doubt the Bengals will be promoting any position coaches to HC next time.

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

Then maybe we should accelerate the process and get rid of him now.

If we're being real here, 2021 is probably not going to be a great squad.  They probably lose more than they win again, and fans probably will want Zac outed.  

I still don't know if i would have pushed the button or not.  From outside the building, it's pretty clear.  But inside the building, i'm sure it's cloudy.  The 2019 late start, and the 2020 Burrow injury put a lot of "yeah buts" into the conversation.

Gun to my head, i guess i agree.  Probably should have let him go.  I don't know if he'll learn yet how to be a good HC.  One thing's for sure - he needs to learn how to pick coordinators and position coaches better.

2 hours ago, theJ said:

Gun to my head, i guess i agree.  Probably should have let him go.  I don't know if he'll learn yet how to be a good HC.  One thing's for sure - he needs to learn how to pick coordinators and position coaches better.

I think the options are slim, and I would imagine a lot of that has to due with his inexperience in this league. He hasn’t been around long enough or produced enough to earn the respect of (or even just get friendly with) established, experienced, competent coaches. 

I would love to hear the story behind not hiring Bill Callahan as our line coach. That should have been in the bag.

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

What does ZT need to do to keep his job after next year?

How many games should he be expected to win?

He needs to be at least in the hunt, but I wouldn't go so far as to say he has to make the playoffs.  7-9 is probably enough to keep his job.  Another 10 loss season and the natives are going to get restless.

28 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

He needs to be at least in the hunt, but I wouldn't go so far as to say he has to make the playoffs.  7-9 is probably enough to keep his job.  Another 10 loss season and the natives are going to get restless.

7-9 was going to be my guess as well. The most important thing we need to evaluate ZT is a healthy roster to give him a fair shake.

Right now Bengals FO (and to an extent, myself) are operating under the premise these past two years are somewhat excused given the hands ZT was dealt. The shortened offseason and quick coaching hires his first year, and significant injuries to his roster the past two seasons aren’t easy for any HC to handle, let alone a first time HC.

i think we need to be in the hunt late in the year. like 8-9 or maayybeeee 7-10 (SF is our 17th game next year. we both finished last in our division and afc n gets nfc west). i think the main thing the fan base needs going into the year is another aggressive offseason, not just sit back and let things happen like before