Buyers and Sellers

The_Slamman

I'm going to preface this with a little history.  Going back to Jimmy Johnson, the Cowboys were notorious sellers of talent and generally did a good job of selling high.  We sold Herschel Walker to the highest bidder.  We sold Steve Walsh.  The players we bought, we tended to buy cheap such as Charles Haley.  Since that time, we have been constant buyers and have traditionally bought high...  Galloway, Williams, Cooper, etc.  

Recently, we've seen teams that are out of contention sell off their remaining decent talent and have done very well doing so.  Raiders sold Mack and Cooper and have gotten better as a team.  Miami was a huge seller recently and there seems to be more hope coming out of Miami this year.  Jacksonville and NYJ have all been sellers and the jury is still out.  The Patriot are probably the pinnacle of selling high.

I bring this up because IMO it is freaking time to sell. There are teams that think they are one player away from being a SB contender and they are willing to spend.  Dlaw needs to be shopped.  Zeke needs to be shopped.  Coop needs to be shopped.  T. Smith needs to be shopped (obviously there's no market for Smith this year).  Dak should not be given the exclusive franchise tag again.  Franchise him and see if a team is willing to give up 2 firsts.  I'm not saying Dak needs to go but there needs to be an absolute roster turnover.  

Is it time to blow up this MFer up?

11 minutes ago, buddy_z34 said:

The team would be in cap hell

Not a cap guru by any means. But if we ate that all next year in dead cap and tanked next year, wouldnt that give us 2 years of good draft capital and cap space come 2022?

I'm all for blowing the whole thing up and biting the massive cap hits for the next two seasons. I doubt the Joneses would agree because they'll look at the five or six core players and think they can win with them, especially since the NFC East is so awful this year. I can imagine the discussions they're having right now - how do we get better to win the division because anything can happen come the playoffs and maybe the team gets hot (an unlikely scenario given the holes on the team). 

Tanking, too, should have started at the beginning of the season. It might too late now. 

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/dallas-cowboys/

The we have ~$24m in cap space. The only good players we can trade this season are on rookie contracts (LVE/CD Lamb) or potentially Zeke/Jaylon/Martin or Cooper (with a restructure).

Almost any of the mid-tier/mid-contract players we can trade.

After the season ends we will have a lot more flexibility when it comes to cuts/trades. Especially if we can get Dak on a long term deal instead of the tag. 

31 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

The we have ~$24m in cap space. The only good players we can trade this season are on rookie contracts (LVE/CD Lamb) or potentially Zeke/Jaylon/Martin or Cooper (with a restructure).

After the season ends we will have a lot more flexibility when it comes to cuts/trades. Especially if we can get Dak on a long term deal instead of the tag. 

Trading Zeke only nets us a $1.2MM hit? Not bad. 

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Make no mistake about it Dak will be franchised next year

Just now, D82 said:

I'd hate to trade him.

As would I but he really is the only player besides LVE whom the team can trade for a good return in the investment. And LVE won't net a good return because of his injury history. 

Blowing it up is unlikely. The team is stuck with those contracts 

5 minutes ago, buddy_z34 said:

As would I but he really is the only player besides LVE whom the team can trade for a good return in the investment. And LVE won't net a good return because of his injury history. 

Blowing it up is unlikely. The team is stuck with those contracts 

As listed above, Zeke could be traded for a minimal cap hit. Trading Cooper actually nets us some decent cap relief.