Boston Celtics Thread

Deadpulse

On 7/18/2019 at 7:59 AM, resilient part 2 said:

Yes and No, Horford will definitely be missed, THIS YEAR. But part of resigning Horford was long term as well. Not sure if signing that huge contract will be worth it a year or 2 from now.

Definitely, you don't want to be stuck in a CP3/Houston situation. 

17 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

I don’t see what Kanter does that Greg Monroe didn’t. They’re both great post players, who play zero defense. Kanter is a better rebounder but that’s it. I’d rather have Baynes tbh. 

Kanter is just a way better version of Monroe. In each of the last 5 seasons, he has been a 20/10+ guy per 36 minutes his defense is just so bad that he can't stay on the court for that many minutes. Kanter is actually one of the best post scorers in the league and will be a huge offensive boost for you guys off the bench. 

On 7/16/2019 at 8:33 AM, resilient part 2 said:

I expect crickets here on this,  but B Clarke > Grant Williams. And don't give me it's only summer league crap. College film, plus combine, plus measurables, then Summer league. 

and while still unproven Seymou should have been selected over Romeo. 

and Boston still could have yarded down with Phoenix with 22 and picked up Edwards in rd 2. 

Meh. It's too early to judge guys based off of just the summer league. Grant will be like a higher-end Mike Scott and replace the minutes/production that Morris gave you. 

I do agree that you should've taken Seymou over Romeo though. Romeo struggles shooting the ball and he's not very quick or explosive. I think he'll struggle to score early on in his career and will need the ball in his hands to be effective. I've seen him compared to Evan Turner but he doesn't really have the playmaking or vision of Turner. 

2 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

I don’t see what Kanter does that Greg Monroe didn’t. They’re both great post players, who play zero defense. Kanter is a better rebounder but that’s it. I’d rather have Baynes tbh. 

Kanter is a better rebounder which is a HUGE difference, especially for the Celtics who have always struggled with rebounds. That is more than a slight difference. Kanter is a better rebounder than Baynes as well in addition to being an above average post player. Kanter moves better than Monroe and has better endurance as well.

I'd take Kanter over Baynes for the offensive upgrade and rebounding. Defensively Kanter will be average at least under Brad Stevens.

6 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Kanter is a better rebounder which is a HUGE difference, especially for the Celtics who have always struggled with rebounds. That is more than a slight difference. Kanter is a better rebounder than Baynes as well in addition to being an above average post player. Kanter moves better than Monroe and has better endurance as well.

I'd take Kanter over Baynes for the offensive upgrade and rebounding. Defensively Kanter will be average at least under Brad Stevens.

No, he won’t. Kanter is horrible defensively. He’ll still be bad defensively. 

I would’ve loved to hear your thoughts on Kanter when he was a Knick last year.

14 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

No, he won’t. Kanter is horrible defensively. He’ll still be bad defensively. 

I would’ve loved to hear your thoughts on Kanter when he was a Knick last year.

He was a Knick, what do you expect. There is no comparison to the Celtics there. Plus it was throwaway situation with all of the drama in his personal life. He will be focused this season and the Celtics/Stevens will do more for Kanter defensively than the Knicks or Thunder ever could.

Kanter also played with an injury after separating his shoulder with the Trailblazers. Baynes tended to drop into the paint a lot and that is what Kanter does a lot that leads to guys getting wide open shots. That is an example of something that is coachable. Obviously Kanter isn't quick footed but it's not like he is incapable of sliding or that he isn't a smart player. The thing Kanter struggles with the most defensively is the spacing and shooting that has become so prevalent in the NBA. With four other "position-less" teammates on the floor and a great coaching staff, Kanter will be able to adjust over the regular season while rotating with Robert Williams and Vincent Poirier, (both guys I'm pretty excited for by the way). Kanter will be covered by his teammates and coaches more than on any team he's been on before while also playing a role to his strengths offensively, grabbing rebound, and clogging lanes/defending the paint.

3 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Kanter also played with an injury after separating his shoulder with the Trailblazers. Baynes tended to drop into the paint a lot and that is what Kanter does a lot that leads to guys getting wide open shots. That is an example of something that is coachable. Obviously Kanter isn't quick footed but it's not like he is incapable of sliding or that he isn't a smart player. The thing Kanter struggles with the most defensively is the spacing and shooting that has become so prevalent in the NBA. With four other "position-less" teammates on the floor and a great coaching staff, Kanter will be able to adjust over the regular season while rotating with Robert Williams and Vincent Poirier, (both guys I'm pretty excited for by the way). Kanter will be covered by his teammates and coaches more than on any team he's been on before while also playing a role to his strengths offensively, grabbing rebound, and clogging lanes/defending the paint.

For all of those reasons, that's why I expect Kanter to be at least average defensively. To my original point, there is more than just a slight improvement over Greg Monroe and even Aron Baynes. Mostly due to minutes played and rebounding, but also just offensively Kanter is so much better than both it isn't even close.

With all this talk about kanter who I think it's an actual decent backup challenge, the real question will be how much development Robert Williams is able to provide. And who knows what this guy Vinson can do from France sometimes we can get pleasantly surprised

Edited by resilient part 2

On 7/20/2019 at 5:16 PM, resilient part 2 said:

With all this talk about kanter who I think it's an actual decent backup challenge, the real question will be how much development Robert Williams is able to provide. And who knows what this guy Vinson can do from France sometimes we can get pleasantly surprised

Rob Williams is a reliable backup that provides great shot blocking.

Vincent Poirier is the same as Williams only a little more polished at this point.

Basically, I see Williams developing into and proving this season that he is what Poirier already is as a player. The consistency between centers this season for the Celtics should be great for the rest of the team to work off of, especially new guy Kemba Walker.

• 2 months later...

regardless of how much anyone thinks Tacko will play, he already has a "cult like following"

Boston has many nice pieces and bench depth. But even without "it's all about me Kyrie" there are too many ball needy players. I expect Boston to make a move come mid season for someone like Beal..

Edited by resilient part 2

6 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

I'll reiterate it because I remember people here saying in free agency that Marcus Morris is a good player to have: I am just glad Morris is not on the Celtics anymore.

not sure why you feel that way. He was both good and consistent for Boston last year. Boston major weakness this year will be rebounding. Losing Morris hurt that part some as we will be playing small ball. Hayward, Tatum and Brown as starters will be good for offense but terrible at offensive and defensive rebounding.