Boston Celtics Thread

Deadpulse

For the record, I’m not expecting any trade by the Celtics. I think they’re already going to the ECF. I just don’t think it’s a bad idea trade for a defender like matchup against Embiid/Giannis nor do I think it is an uneven exchange of Brown+Smart+1st for JJJ. In fact, if anything, right now Jaylon Brown is a clearly better player than JJJ.

Sabonis, if the Celtics could get him for a 1st+players then Ainge might be interested. But only two of the players from this group: Javonte Green, Tremont Waters, Semi Ojeleye, Grant Williams, Vincent Poirier, Daniel Theis, Brad Wanamaker, Marcus Smart. I doubt there would be nay serious deep discussions about moving Smart because Ainge loves him and the contract is too high in this case to match for the Pacers realistically. I don’t think Theis or Ojeleye are getting moved because they’re viewed as core depth. For now, it is likely wait snd see with what they have in Waters, Williams, Green, Tacko Fall, and Poirier.

54 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

For the record, I’m not expecting any trade by the Celtics. I think they’re already going to the ECF. I just don’t think it’s a bad idea trade for a defender like matchup against Embiid/Giannis nor do I think it is an uneven exchange of Brown+Smart+1st for JJJ. In fact, if anything, right now Jaylon Brown is a clearly better player than JJJ.

Then you don't understand the value of JJJ and didn't watch enough of him last season. He's better than Brown, younger, and rarer (this much cheaper). He's a true blue-chip young talent, something you don't trade for an average wing, an average guard, and 1 pick.

This is the equivalent of me saying Memphis needs a wing scorer, so they should trade Dillon Brooks, Brandon Clarke, and a 1st for Jayson Tatum.

Edited by seminoles1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Then you don't understand the value of JJJ and didn't watch enough of him last season. He's better than Brown, younger, and rarer (this much cheaper). He's a true blue-chip young talent, something you don't trade for an average wing, an average guard, and 1 pick.

This is the equivalent of me saying Memphis needs a wing scorer, so they should trade Dillon Brooks, Brandon Clarke, and a 1st for Jayson Tatum.

Brown's value will go up this season from where you see it now.

4 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Brown's value will go up this season from where you see it now.

And JJJs will just...not?

You're just not getting it. JJJ is not gettable for Boston. It would take a godfather offer for Memphis to even consider trading him.

Edited by seminoles1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

never seen it

Fun.

I'm done with the conversation though. Look elsewhere because you aren't getting JJJ for anything. He is a legit unicorn with inside-outside skills on offense and defensive anchor potential on defense. You don't get that for 10 cents on the dollar that you somehow seem to think is a fair deal.

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

I'm done with the conversation though.

fun.

JJJ is a unicorn at his size with the dribble and athleticism defensively but offensively, despite a reliable shot, JJJ is still underdeveloped and raw. This time next year I can see the trade value you're placing him at, but right now I think there is a little left to be seen before anointing him a full-fledged, mature unicorn.

As I've reiterated however, JJJ trade scenario was just a reluctant mention I tossed out after discussing Beal days before his extension and Sabonis also days before his lack thereof. It was just a fun, random idea in my imagination that I wanted to get thoughts on. My intention was not to debate the value or likelihood of JJJ going to the Celtics anytime soon. Again, like I have said, I don't foresee any trades by the Celtics anytime soon.

On 10/20/2019 at 9:22 AM, DoleINGout said:

JJJ outproduces Jaylen Brown last year, and somehow you think that Jaylen Brown is a clearly better player?  Mind boggling.  JJJ posted similar numbers to Jaylen Brown, but he's 3 years younger and more importantly has 3 years of team control while Brown only has one.  If you want JJJ, you're giving up more than that.

36 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

last year

The Celtics were a total mess. Production is a broad term and can apply in any number of ways to mean something. Fact is that, yes JJJ has a different value from JB due to JJJ's age/size/contract. However, Brown is a more polished pro-player offensively with a relatively high value due to his own combination of age/size/contract. As a wing player, there may be a vision for some team interested in acquiring JB with a few other strong assets the Celtics have to offer.

2 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

The Celtics were a total mess. Production is a broad term and can apply in any number of ways to mean something. Fact is that, yes JJJ has a different value from JB due to JJJ's age/size/contract. However, Brown is a more polished pro-player offensively with a relatively high value due to his own combination of age/size/contract. As a wing player, there may be a vision for some team interested in acquiring JB with a few other strong assets the Celtics have to offer.

You can't just move the goalposts to fit your argument.  Even if you think his numbers were affected by the mess that was the C's, that doesn't change the fact that JJJ is 3 years younger and more importantly has 2 more years of team control.  JJJ is exponentially more valuable than Jaylen Brown.  I honestly can't see how anyone can argue otherwise.  And given how barren the FA class appears to be next year, I can't wait to see some team with significant amount of cap space to throw a ton of money at Jaylen Brown.  And Ainge is always in the asset-collecting mode that he missed a perfect opportunity to deal Brown for a better win-now piece.  Unfortunately, they're now stuck with the Brown/Tatum/Kemba trio.

4 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

Yeah lol speak for yourself. There's still a ton of potential in Tatum/Brown. They are 22-21 and played with the biggest cancer in the league last year. Not a fair year to judge them off of imo. 

Tatum, yes.  Brown, no.  Brown just finished his 3rd year in the league and his numbers were damn near identical to the year before.  Tatum was better as a rookie than he was as a sophomore because of his awful shot selection.  Jaylen Brown wasn't viewed as a high upside prospect coming out of California, so I don't why he'd suddenly become this big upside player after his 3rd year in the league.  And after handing him that kind of contract, good luck living up to those expectations.

24 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Tatum, yes.  Brown, no.  Brown just finished his 3rd year in the league and his numbers were damn near identical to the year before.  Tatum was better as a rookie than he was as a sophomore because of his awful shot selection.  Jaylen Brown wasn't viewed as a high upside prospect coming out of California, so I don't why he'd suddenly become this big upside player after his 3rd year in the league.  And after handing him that kind of contract, good luck living up to those expectations.

This is definitely a prove it year for Tatum and Brown. We'll see after this season. Brown may not live up to our hopes BUT will definitely out perform what Non Celtics fans are saying.

Just now, resilient part 2 said:

This is definitely a prove it year for Tatum and Brown. We'll see after this season. Brown may not live up to our hopes BUT will definitely out perform what Non Celtics fans are saying.

He's coming off a 13/4/1 season with a TS% of .547.  There were 72 players last year that posted that line with at least a .540 TS%.  His VORP was 0.0.  Now, why I don't view VORP as the end-all, be-all to an argument by any means.  That should illustrate to you that Brown isn't anything special.  But the second he signed that extension, his value plummeted drastically.