Possible trades before deadline

2 hours ago, TypicalBrowns10 said:

If he performed at half the level of that year he would be 2 steps ahead of taki and goodson.

You can throw Mack Wilson in there too.  Goodson is the only LB that looks like he belongs on an NFL roster.  I would honestly just have Malcolm Smith out there than Wilson at this point.

Sucks Phillips has the injury bug, he would probably get an opportunity.

Seriously though Wilson was bad in college, had a good pre-season game last year, was bad all last year, and is bad this year.  It's time to see what he can do on kick coverage.

21 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Our management took it a bit too too far when someone whispered in their ear that you didn’t need superstar linebackers to have a good defense. 

It's a real testament to the other 9 guys on the field that we have both an elite pass rusher and maybe not elite, but very good CB, yet still play probably the worst defense I've seen outside of (maybe) 1-31.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Our management took it a bit too too far when someone whispered in their ear that you didn’t need superstar linebackers to have a good defense. 

To be fair, you can’t fix a roster entirely in one year.

They did manage to bring in our best player at the position as well as the promising (?) rookie who unfortunately can’t stay healthy.

This concept of ignoring linebackers has been happening for 2 decades.

5 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Yet there was at least a couple of people on here who said we were fine going into this year with our current linebackers, and that "linebackers are the running backs of defense".

Meanwhile some of the very best defenses in the league have invested high picks on LBs (Steelers, Ravens, Colts, Bucs, etc.)

7 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Yet there was at least a couple of people on here who said we were fine going into this year with our current linebackers, and that "linebackers are the running backs of defense".

Meanwhile some of the very best defenses in the league have invested high picks on LBs (Steelers, Ravens, Colts, Bucs, etc.)

I think they can be, but it requires a DL of friggin studs to control the LOS as well as good DB’s.

Our issue isn’t poor LBers, poor backs or a poor DL.  It’s poor LBers, poor backs AND a poor DL.

There’s no defensive philosophy where that combo works.

31 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think they can be, but it requires a DL of friggin studs to control the LOS as well as good DB’s.

Our issue isn’t poor LBers, poor backs or a poor DL.  It’s poor LBers, poor backs AND a poor DL.

There’s no defensive philosophy where that combo works.

For sure. But at least there was some hope for the secondary and DL going into the season. Delpit and Greedy getting injured f'd us. Granted, we don't really know what we have in either of them (especially Delpit) but I can't imagine our secondary being worse than what they are right now, and maybe they'd be significantly better if those two were playing.

Our DL has talent. Besides obviously MG, Richardson and Ogunjobi are both really solid, just inconsistent. A lot of the talking heads definitely overrated our DL going into the season because they were basing it solely on name recognition, but it's not a terrible unit.

Our linebackers was the only position group on defense where it felt hopeless going into the season. We were counting on at least one of Mack or Takitaki to step up, and that obviously hasn't happened. Phillips might be our only hope this season and into the future, but the dude needs to stay healthy so we can see what we might have in him.

Just now, zelbell said:

I do think at some point we need to invest high draft picks into a LB or two

Need at least one stud to win in the AFC North it feels like (Shazier, Mosely, Queen, White, etc...)

Yeah I agree. All the Ravens and Steelers do is load up on LBs and then they punish the Browns repeatedly with them. It would be really nice if the Browns decided to play copy cat and start building their defense like those other two teams have because it clearly works. Those are the 2 best defenses in football and they are built inside out.

Plus I dont think its possible to have enough good front 7 players, just continue to rotate them.

19 minutes ago, DawgX said:

For sure. But at least there was some hope for the secondary and DL going into the season. Delpit and Greedy getting injured f'd us. Granted, we don't really know what we have in either of them (especially Delpit) but I can't imagine our secondary being worse than what they are right now, and maybe they'd be significantly better if those two were playing.

completely agree.

Our DL has talent. Besides obviously MG, Richardson and Ogunjobi are both really solid, just inconsistent. A lot of the talking heads definitely overrated our DL going into the season because they were basing it solely on name recognition, but it's not a terrible unit.

There’s overrated talent for sure, but when I say a dominant DL, I mean like the 9ers last season where they just destroyed teams with 5-6 dudes in constant rotation. They had like 5 first rounders.  The 2011 ish Giants would be another example.

We aren’t in that stratosphere.

Our linebackers was the only position group on defense where it felt hopeless going into the season. We were counting on at least one of Mack or Takitaki to step up, and that obviously hasn't happened. Phillips might be our only hope this season and into the future, but the dude needs to stay healthy so we can see what we might have in him.

I figured on could me average/mediocre, but they’re nowhere close to that even.

• Like 1

IMO, a DE opposite Myles, a stud MLB, a capable CB opposite Ward, and a capable safety tandem are absolute musts ASAP. We don’t have that LB on our roster, and the same with the edge guy. Even if Greedy and Delpit are those answers, we need another safety at minimum, not to mention another capable LB.

Thats about 4 guys best case scenario.