Rams vs Bears GT, 10/26, MNF

beardown3231

5 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I know Nagy's decision-making can be baffling, but is there anything this offense does well that he's specifically going away from? Are the parts good enough to build a successful offense of any style?

The personnel sucks. The playcalling sucks. It's an all around trainwreck.

Last night was hard because it all but confirmed a couple of things that big picture are pretty crippling.

-Foles sucks and the offensive issues were not just Trubisky as Nagy tried to sell us on.

-Nagy is just a guy as a HC, he is a motivator and nothing more. 

-Pace is a mediocre GM. The offensive talent and depth is inexcusably bad.

The 3 pillars of your franchise and non of them are very good at their job.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

Some of you other guys who think Goff is in the same tier as your QBs really need to pick up a football sometime in your life rather than just sit on the couch and flip the channels 

Wait what?

Foles and Tru are in a league of their own and not in a good way. 

Here are some thoughts, because I am not re-watching that game,

-Matt Nagy isn't a good play caller. In fact he is a bad play caller. He embarrassed himself last night in both his play calling and in game management.

-Nick Foles sucks. We tried to do the "this offense just needs a competent QB", but the truth is as I have said, Foles was carried around by an elite Eagles OL. He is awful.

-David Montgomery should fake an injury and go on IR. He is wasting his career carries behind this loser of an OL.

-Allen Robinson caught a pass downfield. I am going to write about it in my diary because I thought he could only catch 5 yard hooks.

-Anthony Miller has some talent, maybe we should throw him the ball more.

-Darnell Mooney is very good. Too bad the most accurate pass he may ever see is if Pat O'Donnell punted him the pass.

-Jimmy Graham sucks. His blocking effort is pathetic, he is about as dynamic as a dead body, and we use him on 5 yard hooks and flare routes like he is a backup OLmen playing TE.

-Matt Nagy is a moron. Cole Kmet is your best TE and you whine like a little ***** about not being able to play him more.

-Demetrius Harris can be cut.

-Ted Ginn should be cut.

-Cordarelle Patterson has officially become a problem. He is useless in the backfield and Matt Nagy cannot stop using him like a teenage girl and her vape pen. Cut him if Nagy can no stop using him or put him on special teams only.

-I hope Bobbie Massie got tucked into bed last night by Leonard Floyd because Leonard was teaching him lessons like he was his father.

-Ifedi was bad.

-Whitehair was bad and then got hurt.

-What the hell is Rashaad Coward doing on an NFL roster? We knew he sucked last season and now he is the primary backup at OG again? I know Pace is a clown, I know that we needed Robert Quinn when his OL was road kill in 2019, but come on man.

-Charles Leno continues to be his dumpy loser self.

-I thought Juan Castillo, the great Juan Castillo, the improves the run game where ever he goes Juan Castillo, was suppose to fix this OL?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Allen Robinson caught a pass downfield. I am going to write about it in my diary because I thought he could only catch 5 yard hooks.

-Anthony Miller has some talent, maybe we should throw him the ball more.

I do not respect you anymore after this. 

Packer fan here, and I watched the game last night.  Course, I was flipping channels, but here is what I saw...

--I really, and I mean REALLY enjoy watching the Bears defense...when it is isn't playing the Packers.

Love watching the slanting line.  Hicks is a beast.  Roberson has some nice quickness in him.  Edwards was flashing big time.  And Mack is still Mack.  They just punish the line of scrimmage and make the offense work for every yard.

Linebackers are confusing to me.  Smith runs fast and hard, but he misses enough keys and ends up out of position.  Still, his "fast" makes plays.  Trevathan looks like a shell of himself.  But with that DL, the linebackers are usually running free and fast.

I admired how the line slanted and took away the Jet motion.  As a team that runs that stuff,  I found it interesting to see another way to defend against it.

I've always loved watching that secondary work.  It is kind of a "push/pull" zone concept, and again, the play and QB have to be darned near perfect to beat it for any real gain.  Skrine is an average player, but even he plays that scheme well.

I came away thinking that not too many teams are going to have long, time consuming drives against that defense.

--Offense.  As good and as fun as the defense is to watch, the offense is that bad on the other end of the spectrum.

It starts on the line.  It's poor.  You have a LG that shouldn't even be on a practice squad.  Tackles are slow of foot.  Whitehair has his moments of good, but too many moments of being poor.  I'm not sure what you've spent on that o-line, dollar wise, but if it's anything outside of the vets minimum for those tackles, you've been fleeced.  That, or they have talent and the o-line coaching is just that bad.

RB.  I thought Montgomery had more quickness and elusiveness coming out.  I'm not seeing any "special" in him.  Vision is average.  Speed is average. Quickness is below average.  And I'm not sure if he is used at all in the passing game.

TE.  Kmet is a player.  He needs more reps and more easy looks.  Kid can play.  Graham is what he is, no sense in getting into that.  

QB.  I kept waiting for Foles to get "hot".  But that didn't happen.  It was obvious to me that he can't really move in the pocket.  If he sees pressure up the middle, he panics.  At least Mitch has legs to make plays, and with that o-line, that is a huge plus to have.  My guess is that you will start him again at some point in the season and get a spark from him.

WR.  Robinson is a very good WR.  No doubt.  Rams took him away, and I'm not sure how.  I thought Ramsey just followed him, but I don't think that was the case.  I also didn't see him go in motion much to try to free him up.  You have a rookie that is fast....and that has value.  Miller looks like he has quickness and speed, but somehow it just doesn't translate on the field.

Coaching.  Which brings me to this.  I think you have enough talent at WR and TE to make an offense work.  Montgomery is good enough in the backfield.  Either the o-line is that awful, or the coach is that awful at calling the game, practicing for the game and incorporating concepts that get easy, easy looks and completions.

I think that defense is going to keep you in most every game this year.  Only time it will not is when the offense has too many turnovers in one game and give short fields to the other team.  Thinking you are going to win your fair share of low scoring games.

Interesting game to watch.  Here is to good health for your squad and we shall see what happens in our two games.

• Like 3

I think every year I have begged Pace to either draft an OT or to take one in FA.

Off top of my head there are like 7 NFL teams with horrendous OL situations.     It is a position with extreme supply and demand issues, mainly there is little supply and that causes .... class?    Yes, scarcity.    

So you have to prepare for it.   Year to year.  You can't wait.   You have to constantly add to position as a lot of times the 5 man unit is only as strong as its weakest link.

Pace has been exceedingly luck his two bad OTs have remained remarkably healthy or it would be way worse.   As it is one or two injuries completely torpedos us from bad to horrendous.  

Did Bars not have a decent game when Daniels went down?   What made them start Coward anyway?   Injury I don't know about?  

I don't get what you have to do to receive or lose playing time on the Bears.  Where is accountability or conversely incentive on or for  players?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

@vegas492. ^^^^ You literally summed up most of the views a number of us have been preaching since 2019. 

Good on you,  piss poor on our management for not seeing this. 

Thank you.

I knew the Bears o-line was bad, but that was from just watching the Bears play the Packers...and I assumed that we knew your offensive scheme well, and were "up" for the game, so maybe the line was better than that and we just played them tough.

After watching last night, I'm convinced that is not the case.  I looked at your RG, Ifedi.  He's a tackle.  A right tackle.  His feet are slow, his back is always at an angle.  He doesn't have flexibility to drop his butt, anchor and move his feet.  He hunches forward and is often unbalanced.  He's pretty bad.

And that LG is even worse.  I think you could literally go to most any practice squad and find someone better than him.  And it's everything with him.  Stance, hands, anchor.  There is just nothing there.  It looks like a DT trying to play OG.  Which I think he is....

But dang, that defense.  It's just fun to watch if you are a fan of football.

I think you are going to split a few games against good teams.  Towards the last few games, Mitch is going back in.  Fresh.  With legs under him and he's gonna actually give you a spark going into the postseason.  If you are really lucky, he wins you a postseason game, gets injured, then Foles comes in and works his playoff magic.

Having a little fun there, but I do think Mitch comes back in at some point and his legs makes your offense better.  Foles seriously has to get hot for that not to happen.

Edited by vegas492