Rams vs Bears GT, 10/26, MNF

beardown3231

53 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

The Rams are beatable.  It's a given that Goff will get rattled by our DL pressure, the O just has to do their part and make sure they put up some points this time around.

For as bad as this team played last year in LA against these same Rams they still only lost by 10 pts.  And this was with the Trubisky benching and Daniel playing for a bit.

I'd like to think Foles will do better but we'll see.  Like others have mentioned the OL has to step up and give Foles some time because Donald will wreak havoc.

There would be a weird symmetry if Foles gets hurt and Trubisky comes back in

This game is going to be about Pagano vs McVay. Whichever coach outsmarts and gets the best execution (Bears D vs Rams O) will be the winner here. Our offense is inept and they have a solid defense, so we will have to shut down their offense to win.

My head says 17-14 Rams, so I'm going to say 24-21 Bears. Because why they hell would I be right this time?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

It feels like every team runs a true RB screen and gets 8-20 yards every time. The Bears though? Nope.

A shame I can only "like" that post once. Preach!

A team determined to get "chunk" yardage through the passing game is perfectly set up to run normal screens. The Bears? Nope. They do those clear out slip screens, and that other nonsense. 

Good lord. Pass the ball to Montgomery at the line of scrimmage. Throw some blockers out ahead of him. It's not rocket science...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

A shame I can only "like" that post once. Preach!

A team determined to get "chunk" yardage through the passing game is perfectly set up to run normal screens. The Bears? Nope. They do those clear out slip screens, and that other nonsense. 

Good lord. Pass the ball to Montgomery at the line of scrimmage. Throw some blockers out ahead of him. It's not rocket science...

We lack the "blockers" part, my friend.

Really it is infuriating. I keep saying to throw some TEs in the slot and this is where we could really use them. Kmet and Harris even could both be in the slot, put Graham on the Z and ARob at the X. You can either go size mismatch somewhere or there SHOULD be enough size to allow for screens to be a big threat. Our OL just need to make the first blocks and the oversized right side should be able to get the second level.

• Like 2

On 10/22/2020 at 10:52 PM, Heinz D. said:

I don't know. They don't run it enough. They also rarely call what would be considered a regular screen. 

Have you watched this offense? Designed RB/WR screens are a staple of Nagy's play-calling. Despite if it's working or not. 

WR Screens

The wide receiver screen is a terrible play, one of the worst in the NFL. The Oakland Raiders were a terrible defense, also one of the worst in the NFL, but they still kicked the wide receiver screen's ***.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2020/2019-dvoa-routes-defenses

This is just designed WR screens and not including RBs.  We were tied 15th most attempts and this info does even include per pass attempt either. 

It's been worse these last few weeks too. (although understandable because the screen is designed to stop aggressive defenses and we've played the Bucs (Bowles blitz heavy defense) and the Colts (eberflus). 

Edited by JAF-N72EX

On 10/22/2020 at 8:57 AM, dll2000 said:

This is a tough game to project.

Rams are overrated as a team I think due to how their schedule fell, but obviously Bears are not world beaters at this point either and have also had some favorable match ups.  

But at least teams were motivated against Bears, some of Rams opponents mailed it in from kick off and expansion teams have played better.

Rams want to run the ball where Bears have been vulnerable and they have best defensive player in game against weakest component of Bears.   

On other hand, Bears D looked much improved last week and seems to be arrow pointing up.   Goff will give you the ball on occasion and Bears can generate turnovers.

Their running back is very fast, but is not difficult to bring down.   But if he sees big holes, and there have been several this season, he can take them farther than other backs have been able to do.  

The Rams first half defensive game plan against 49ers was about as bad as it gets.  But 49ers D played pretty well.

I think if Bears can take away the run and Kupp I think that is key to shutting down this offense.  They want to run and Kupp is Goff’s safety net (even though he just had a bad game).

Bears have to protect Foles.  49ers doubled Donald almost every play.  Bears should do same.  

I am not sure if Leno hasn’t missed nearly as many blocks as he had made this season.  I don’t know grading, but I can’t see how our LT play can be much worse.    We may make Floyd look like a star for one of few times of his career.

Game will be decided by turnovers I think.   Rams don’t have a great D, but it isn’t bad.   Bears should be able to score if wheels don’t come off bus with missed blocks.

Rams are favored by 6, but I would call this game a pick em.   If I was betting, gun to my  head, I would take Rams to win and Bears to cover.  But betting is for suckers.

I do think if Bears can get out to a nice lead the Rams may fold.  I don’t think they are as mentally tough as Bears.  

Hahaha I needed a good laugh this morning. The Rams arent mentally tough??? The Bills game shows they are. They fell down by 25pts and scored 29 unanswered points to take the lead and it if wasnt for that ticky tac PI call on 4th down the Rams complete the comeback. In 2018 pretty much the same Rams team was down 21pts in New Orleans which is a tough place to play and Goff lead them back to tie the game 28-28 in the 4th quarter. That same season back in the New Orleans in the NFCCG the Rams were down 13-0 and had every going wrong for them then Goff leads them back to take the lead in the 4th quarter even before that bad PI no call. So in any situation the Rams didnt fold. They are definitely mentally tough.

Now looking at this game for the Bears, I think the Bears are an ugly (5-1) team. If the win Monday that will go a very long ways to changing my mind. The reason why is the Rams know they didnt play their game on Sunday against the Niners because they missed alot of easy throws, missed alot of tackles, committed too many uncharacteristic penalties, and abandoned the run. Perfect example, the Rams are third in the NFL in penalties with 4 per game. They committed 6 in the game against the Niners. I expect them to be laser sharp against the Bears and so does Vegas by that line of 6pts going up. It was 5.5pts when I first saw it after the Niners game. The Rams are a legit team. Across the board top 10 offense, top 5 defense, top 10 rushing offense, top 5 in sacks, top 3 in pass defense, top 10 in 3rd down offense, top 10 in 3rd down defense, top 5 in scoring defense. Goff is the best in the NFL in the 4th quarter. The Rams have scored a td on their opening possession 4 out of their 6 games so they start off fast. They have the best defense in the 2nd half. In general they are a great 2nd half team. Dont let the Rams go into halftime with a lead because under McVay they are (28-0) when leading at halftime.

With saying all of that Im not saying the Rams cant be beat. They did lose twice this year. If the Bears can stop the Rams run game or just hope McVay chooses not to run much then I think the Bears have a shot. The problem is I dont trust the Bears offense to put pressure on the Rams enough. The Rams legit can win 17-14 and not have a great offensive game. Heck they won last year 17-7 and this years team is light years better than last years team. I dont trust Foles from possession to possession. I definitely dont trust Trubisky. Its in LA and not in Chicago especially if the whether is freezing cold. The Rams should win this game and win comfortable because again I dont see McVay having his team play uncharacteristic football like they did last week. Again I expect them to be locked in at home in LA on both sides of the ball and the Rams win 30-17.  Good luck and I hope nobody gets hurt. Cant wait till Monday.

Edited by stl4life07

9 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Have you watched this offense? Designed RB/WR screens are a staple of Nagy's play-calling. Despite if it's working or not.

Actually, yeah, I have watched this offense, believe it or not. I was talking about how the Bears should run more traditional type screens, and actually said as much. The offensive line might not be the best, but I'm sure they could rumble around out there and run protection for Montgomery. I don't know if there's something about Nagy's offense that makes that sort of thing difficult, or what...

2 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Now looking at this game for the Bears, I think the Bears are an ugly (5-1) team. 

Well, you're half right. I think we can all agree on that. 

The Rams legit can win 17-14 and not have a great offensive game. 

The same can be said about the Bears. 

The Rams should win this game and win comfortable because again I dont see McVay having his team play uncharacteristic football like they did last week. Again I expect them to be locked in at home in LA on both sides of the ball and the Rams win 30-17.  

If the Rams "win comfortably" I'll be absolutely shocked. The Bears pummeled Tom Brady into oblivion. They easily can do the same thing to Jared Goff. You'd best be saying your prayers to the football gods that Goff even makes it out of the game unharmed...

Im usually annoyingly optimistic but this has let down game written all over it haha.

Foles hasnt lost yet, which he eventually will.

Bears have a good secondary but I can see Jaylen Johnson having a "rookie" game against this offense, I also can see Trevathan having an "old man" game.

Lastly, I like this team but we aren't exactly the type  thats really stepping on anyones neck in the division. As people mentioned before, we already have guys missing practice and thats after a Thursday game.

I think the Bears are content being 5-1, we lazily fall to 5-2, then we pull out a big win against the Saints or the Titans, leaving us at 6-3, beat the crap out of the Vikings in a division game, leaving us at 7-3 going into the BYE. Which is good

31 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Actually, yeah, I have watched this offense, believe it or not. I was talking about how the Bears should run more traditional type screens, and actually said as much. The offensive line might not be the best, but I'm sure they could rumble around out there and run protection for Montgomery. I don't know if there's something about Nagy's offense that makes that sort of thing difficult, or what...

Well, you're half right. I think we can all agree on that. 

The same can be said about the Bears. 

If the Rams "win comfortably" I'll be absolutely shocked. The Bears pummeled Tom Brady into oblivion. They easily can do the same thing to Jared Goff. You'd best be saying your prayers to the football gods that Goff even makes it out of the game unharmed...

The Rams won by 10pts last season and the team had so many issues. I dont know what your definition of winning comfortably is but mine is 10+ points. Haha Im good with Goff in this game. He might not have a spectacular game but he will be good. I heard the same thing about the Washington game. People said their front would rattle Goff and all he did was throw for 300yds have 3 total tds and only was sacked once and that was in pour rainy conditions. Im not saying the Bears defense isnt legit but its more of the credit to how much improved the Rams OL is plus the adjustments McVay has made to move Goff around on bootlegs plus the running game is strong too so teams cant just tee off on Goff for dropping back 40+ times. As a matter of fact Goff has only been sacked 7 times this entire season which is amongst the lowest when we are talking about qualified starting QBs and he has played Washington DL, the Eagles DL, and the Cowboys DL all supposed to be strengths. 

On the flip side Id be concerned about Foles because while the vantage Bears pass rush is 13th in sacks, the Rams are 5th in sacks. Whats even worst is the Bears sack % is 15th per pass play while the Rams is still 5th. Guess who is top 6? Philly and Washington and the Rams played them both and they really didnt even touch Goff so again Im fine with Goff as long as the Rams are running the football and continuing to move Goff around like they have been doing all season long because it has been working.

Edited by stl4life07

The Rams won by 10pts last season and the team had so many issues. I dont know what your definition of winning comfortably is but mine is 10+ points. 

But the Bears didn't have issues last season? Okay. Anyway, don't really feel the need to get into "definitions" of anything. If the Rams win, I won't be shocked, just disappointed. If the Rams win by ten points, I will be shocked. 

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

But the Bears didn't have issues last season? Okay. Anyway, don't really feel the need to get into "definitions" of anything. If the Rams win, I won't be shocked, just disappointed. If the Rams win by ten points, I will be shocked. 

Not saying the Bears didn’t have issues last season but their issues still remain specifically on offense. Foles give some hope that Trubisky didn’t but that’s not saying too much. I have a friend who is a Bears fan and I tell him that if the Bears can get a guy like Justin Fields in Nagy offense I think that would work nicely. 

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Rams fans came in here in 2018 and talked about how the Rams offense was unstoppable and the Bears D had no shot to stop them. They said the same about 2019. That went well for them both times. Who cares what all 4 of their fans think anyhow?

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1

I have a friend who is a Bears fan and I tell him that if the Bears can get a guy like Justin Fields in Nagy offense I think that would work nicely. 

I would be happy with Fields, myself. Or, probably, Brock Purdy. Maybe even Zach Wilson...

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Rams fans came in here in 2018 and talked about how the Rams offense was unstoppable and the Bears D had no shot to stop them. They said the same about 2019. That went well for them both times. Who cares what all 4 of their fans think anyhow?

Ehh...it's all in good fun. 😉