Week 7 GDT - New England Patriots vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

8 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't know, it's all semantics. The problem with the OL isn't only when teams bring five or more, it's when they disguise their looks and the OL has to communicate on the fly on their protections and are unable to do so. That's exactly what happened on the sack. #93 was damn near untouched. McGlinchey helped on the interior DL and #93 just flew by with an easy sack. I still want to see how the Patriots blitzed 11 times, I have to watch that again. I know very late in the game they brought Gilmore on the Kittle 3rd down reception, but overall it didn't seem like they brought a LB or DB that many times. Maybe on some of them Jimmy released it quick where it wasn't noticeable but I thought overall that was a terrible game plan by BB on defense.

Watching it live I was like WTF was mcglinchey doing, but then after breaking down the endzone footage on gamepass, I realized that BB just caught us with a good playcall and that it really wasnt as bad as I first thought. 

We were trying to use play action and pull Brunskill across the formation. The pats ran a LB blitz through the B gap on that side. That is the perfect play call to the protection scheme we ran. both McG and Grasu went for the blitzing LB, I think McG thought grasu would get eaten up by the NT that was lined up head up on Grasu. This would have meant a free LB, so McG

So while I saw it live, I thought it Grasu was Brunskill and I was like WTF mcg??? Why take the LB when your LG is right there?? but then I realized the RG was on the other side of the formation and it made more sense. Still a bad play from a communication standpoint, but not as egregious as it seemed. Gotta give credit to BB. He timed up a LB blitz at the perfect moment, even if it should have gotten picked up, he made us pick it up and #51 timed up Jimmy's snap count perfectly. I wonder how much film BB has on Jimmy's snap count going back years. 

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

So Wilson, Rodgers, and Brees the next three games. Gauntlet within a gauntlet. 

Jimmy needs to step up if he wants to be around a while. 

We have to go 2-1, at minimum, on this stretch if we want to keep pace for the playoffs. The Seahawks game will be tough, but we will be able to put up points and churn clock with relative ease. The Packers always scare me, but we always seem to have an edge on them. Hopefully that continues. Rodgers is looking like prime Rodgers again, though. The foundation is cracking in N.O. and Brees, while still very good, is beatable. The Saints are still very good, but we can hang with them. 

If we can make it to the bye week at 6-4, we will be getting a boat load of starters back for the stretch run. I'm begging the injury gods to leave us alone for a few weeks.

Edited by NinerNation21
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

We have to go 2-1, at minimum, on this stretch if we want to keep pace for the playoffs. The Seahawks game will be tough, but we will be able to put up points and churn clock with relative ease. The Packers always scare me, but we always seem to have an edge on them. Hopefully that continues. Rodgers is looking like prime Rodgers again, though. The foundation is cracking in N.O. and Brees, while still very good, is beatable. The Saints are still very good, but we can hang with them. 

If we can make it to the bye week at 6-4, we will be getting a boat load of starters back for the stretch run. I'm begging the injury gods to leave us alone for a few weeks.

If we can go 2-1 in the next three games, that will be HUGE. What's frustrating is that with even decent injury luck, this team would be the best in the conference along with the Bucs quite easily. The roster depth is just insane and we are so well coached on both sides of the field. But the injury luck has been all time bad for us and we will have to scratch and claw just to make the playoffs. One of those years....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

BTW, haven't heard anyone complaining about jetlag after three dominant performances on the east coast this year. :)

Spoiler: It's not that big of a deal as people claim it is. 

Well, one of the reasons East Coast games are hard is due to the time difference and the early slot. That wasn't the case this week and against the Giants, the team was already in the East Coast all week. It's not like it is impossible for teams to win going the opposite coast, but team can be impacted some. Glad this team seems to do well though. 

18 hours ago, Forge said:

They haven't really been good though. We aren't doing what we are doing on their backs. They managed one sack (the other was a blitz),  which was also our only QB hit by the defensive line. That's a week after we managed 0 sacks adn only 4 pressures, one of which was a blitz. They are holding up very well against the run, but they are a disaster getting to the QB right now

While they aren't getting home/sacks, they are pressing the pocket, getting in passing lanes....which is better than just stopping the run.

What's more, is Warner is amazing in the middle of the field. And we have some well performing DBs not named Sherman!

Edited by Chrissooner49er

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

If we can go 2-1 in the next three games, that will be HUGE. What's frustrating is that with even decent injury luck, this team would be the best in the conference along with the Bucs quite easily. The roster depth is just insane and we are so well coached on both sides of the field. But the injury luck has been all time bad for us and we will have to scratch and claw just to make the playoffs. One of those years....

Oh, for sure. If we were at full health, we'd be 6-1 right now and everyone's darling superbowl pick.

Despite all the injuries, Shanahan's coaching staff deserves raises across the board. This team doesn't rely on one guy playing hero ball, the system is the real MVP. That's the sign of a truly great team. 

One potentially nice thing about some of our injured players is that hopefully they come back well rested. I'm looking at Coleman, Mostert, and Sherman, specifically. Having 2 well-rested RBs late in the year is huge for this offense. A well-rested Sherman is going to take our top 10 passing defense and make it even better. 

And to a lesser extent, assuming recovery is successful, Blair, Richburg, and Julian Taylor will help keep both lines fresh. 

All of this comes with a huge grain of salt that all of these guys make successful recoveries and have no lingering issues.