Week 5 GDT: Jets vs. Browns

CWood21

It’s been nice to get these wins in the beginning here and see the team trying but not having a top 3 pick is really gonna suck come draft time.

and yes I would rather go 2-14 then 6-10. I guess we can just enjoy it while it lasts and pray they somehow beat the Pats 

What I feel has been more about these wins is how we've gotten them. Team has stayed united, found ways to eek it out despite the odds. You can tell the players buy in, and part of building a winning culture is by having a united locker room. Worry about figuring out the QB later

11 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

Couldn't couldn't agree more. Culture > #1 pick. With the way the QBs have been playing it may be okay to have a top 10 pick and good culture over the top pick

Also agree. However we had no business winning this game. This was a pretty lame showing on both sides of the ball. Gave up a ton of yards and didnt move the ball all but one drive. Browns beat themselves. We arent going to win that many more games so we should enjoy the 3-2 while it lasts. I fully expect the Pats to dominate us next weekend. Still I like that the team is playing very hard each week win or lose. That is the biggest change this season. I think 4-12 is very likely. Maybe 5-11 at the absolute best. Giants will absolutely be drafting in front of us even at 4-12. 

Culture is important yes, but your nothing in this league without a QB. Doesn’t mater what the culture is like.

We are spinning our tires here. If you like 6, 7 wins a year then this is cool. But we need a quarterback and these wins have taken us out of the game. I feel bad for those of you in NY that are now going to have to watch the giants likely get their guy.

Its evident watching this team now we need a QB. And trading up for the first pick is unrealistic in this market and Cousins is going to SF (bad idea anyway)

We have to get lucky with a QB later on in the draft now 

1 hour ago, GangGreen420 said:

Culture is important yes, but your nothing in this league without a QB. Doesn’t mater what the culture is like.

We are spinning our tires here. If you like 6, 7 wins a year then this is cool. But we need a quarterback and these wins have taken us out of the game. I feel bad for those of you in NY that are now going to have to watch the giants likely get their guy.

Its evident watching this team now we need a QB. And trading up for the first pick is unrealistic in this market and Cousins is going to SF (bad idea anyway)

We have to get lucky with a QB later on in the draft now 

Why is it unlikely to trade up? There are a few teams who may be okay with trading down if they get the top pick.

Giants - trade down add OL and depth to an aging roster while Eli may have more years.

49ers - if they sign Cousins then that pick could be up for grabs

Bears - already have their QBOTF and would likely want to recoup draft stock they lost in the trade.

Colts - Assuming they are rolling with Luck

Maybe we get lucky later in the round. That is not out of the realm of possible at this point. 

Besides, how many of you were uber-confident that we...the New York Football Jets...would make the right selection with the first overall pick anyway??? Hell, that scares me WAY more than missing out on somebody later on. 

Look, the 3-2 record is completely unexpected. However, it seems to me that those complaining about us winning were those who were looking forward to 1-15 or 2-14. For me, I simply could not think about next season while we had yet to even play 1 game THIS season. My interest in this team is just that...in the team. So, whether I ever cared for Josh McCown before is irrelevant. He's a Jet now. And, surprisingly, he has not stunk at all so far. He has made some mistakes, but he has also made some clutch throws. We cannot ask for more. Oh sure, many of you would have preferred to see a 3-2 record AND either Petty or Hackenberg starting. But, how likely was that? Not bloody likely.

This is not the same as two years ago in Ryan Fitzpatrick's career season. That year, veterans completely dominated the entire team situation. We were mostly led by a mediocre QB having a career year, two outstanding veteran WR's and a solid veteran RB. Even the defense was mostly led by Revis and Harris and other vets. 

This year feels different. McCown isn't great at all, but he is game-managing his very best to win us a few games. The acquisition of Jermaine Kearse has been outstanding. He is a proven winner who CAN be part of the formula moving forward. AND we got a 2nd rounder. AND we somehow got Kony Ealy to replace Richardson. Win-win-win!

Morton is improving as a game-caller. Bowles has steadied the ship, which was in complete chaos, and Maccagnan has made a few excellent acquisitions both via trade and the draft. Yeah, we were thoroughly outplayed in Cleveland. But that was a road game and we figured out a way to win that one. We played well vs. Jacksonville, clearly a good team this year. We dominated Miami, and offensively looked great against a bad Raiders defense. In Week 1, I think we played the Bills even...with better play from McCown we could have won that game and been in first place in the division.

Yeah, guys like Chad Hansen and ArDarius Stewart haven't done much yet. But McGuire looks like a steal. The safeties have completely changed the face of the secondary. Claiborne has been solid. Beachum has been solid. Shell looks like a keeper. Lee is much improved. We absolutely stole Davis back from the Browns. The front seven, as a group, are solid. We have been doing all this with a Leonard Williams at less than 100%. That bodes well. We also have a kicker we can build around. Seferian-Jenkins looks great, too. 

To me, there are a TON of positives to come out of the first five weeks. Yeah, if we simply look at the QB situation, then it's depressing. But there are a lot of young players gaining invaluable winning experience right now. Hopefully, those guys will be ready to pass it on to our next franchise QB (whomever that may be). In the meantime, let's just hope that the QB class of 2018 is as deep as we all believed it would be going into the NCAA season, and let's just keep hoping for more wins. After all, my Sundays are much better when Gang Green wins, no matter what!   

J-E-T-S

lol everyone is acting like we need the number 1 pick in the draft to get the franchise QB. While I was all for the 1-15 season while seeing the crucial young guys develop, you think the only QB in this draft that is going to work out is going to be the one that goes #1?cmon. Cautiously, I say Maccs picks/moves are starting to work. All we can do is trust that if they see they guy they want and dont believe he will be at our pick, they go get him. There are too many outside forces to make tanking a realistic thing. What if Rosen and Darnold stay in school? we tanked for Josh Allen or Lamar jackson or any other guy not worthy of the pick? Just sit back and enjoy the winning, it shouldnt be that hard.  

Archived