2020 Trade Deadline - What Would You Do?

Just Want A Title

The NFL trade deadline is less than two weeks away.  My target:  Sam Hubbard, DE/OLB for the Bengals.  He is a solid DE and we really have nothing as far as edge players go beyond Trey Flowers.  Romeo Okwara is good at times but we need a third edge rusher.  He was a starter for his first two years but was placed on IR with an elbow injury so he might be available a lot less than he would normally.   I get the feeling he tried to play through an injury and it cost him his job.  His stats:  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HubbSa00.htm.  Worth a look with the right deal and could provide a boost if he can get healthy.  What would you do?

Edited by Just Want A Title
Forgot something

26 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

If they buy that might just be the final straw for me and this putrid franchise.  This franchise is already going to be set back several years by all of the terrible decisions made by this FO ( and ownership for allowing them) .  

Unless it's a Snacks Harrison type deal and it helps them win games this year. 

37 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Unless it's a Snacks Harrison type deal and it helps them win games this year. 

No I would still be against that as well.  I’m not giving up future picks so that this team can suck slightly less this year.  This team is not close, at all.  There also not young or up and coming or in a window.  There terrible now and thanks to there awful management there likely to be as bad or worse for at least the next year or 2.  

2 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

No I would still be against that as well.  I’m not giving up future picks so that this team can suck slightly less this year.  This team is not close, at all.  There also not young or up and coming or in a window.  There terrible now and thanks to there awful management there likely to be as bad or worse for at least the next year or 2.  

If they beat the Falcons, I will have zero issue with them a) trading Jarrad Davis to add some future compensation and/or b) trading a late round pick to solidify some positions of need (DT, EDGE) or take a flier on someone like John Ross. If this does get blown up we do have pieces on both sides that are going to net us back at least 5th, 6th or 7th rd pick. 

Jim Caldwell went 1-7 and was not fired, for right or for wrong. If Quinn and Patricia aren't going to try to fight to keep their jobs without hamstringing  the future (whether it's under their leadership or a new regime), they deserve to be fired on the spot. I know that many people would applaud that regardless of things but it appears ownership is willing to give it some more time after the win over the Jaguars. If they're being given the opportunity to right the ship, then hold firm and do nothing to address issues holding the team back, then you fire them immediately. 

Yes correct, I would fire them immediately.  

The great irony is the one thing that could have potentially saved there jobs was drafting Tua.  There would be far less apathy towards the future if Tua was sitting back there ready to go or we thought we could get TL.  There is literally nothing to feel good about with this team going foward.  Very little young talent, no qb of the future and will win just enough games to ensure they have to wait another year before being in position to draft one.  What is this team next year or the year after blow up or not ?  I don’t see anything to feel good about

I would sell:

WR Marvin Jones/ WR Danny Amendola/ RB Adrian Peterson/ OG Joe Dahl/ DE Romeo Okwara/ LB Jarrad Davis are who I'd be shopping. Nothing serious for any of them mid to low round picks. Stash up the draft capital and maybe hit a gem or two late rounds. 

Ownership needs to get a Kenny Golladay deal done, like now, or you might as well just trade him too even though I don't want to at all. 

Can't say I'd be a buyer, if they make a deal that's extremely cheap like conditional picks, or a player swap, I could understand that I guess but imo it doesn't matter much. Outside of like... Julio Jones, which would cost big, there isn't a deal to be made I see that'll swing the pendulum in our favor in a big way. 

Edited by SimbaWho
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

Yes correct, I would fire them immediately.  

The great irony is the one thing that could have potentially saved there jobs was drafting Tua.  There would be far less apathy towards the future if Tua was sitting back there ready to go or we thought we could get TL.  There is literally nothing to feel good about with this team going foward.  Very little young talent, no qb of the future and will win just enough games to ensure they have to wait another year before being in position to draft one.  What is this team next year or the year after blow up or not ?  I don’t see anything to feel good about

That's the thing... they aren't going to do that. They just beat the Jaguars handily. They have an opportunistic schedule over the next several weeks. Ownership is willing to give them more time to see if they can right the ship. If they're unwilling to try and fix the issues that have led to the 4 losses and they are just going to close their eyes and wish for the best, then yes.. fire them immediately. If they're trying to make low risk moves to add to the team and address those issues, then I would be in support of that. I want this team to win games... I don't care if it's MP or BQ running the show as long as they're winning. If we're in week 10 and they're sitting at 2-8, then we're clearly looking at a coaching change in the short and long term.

I completely disagree on Tua. This has nothing to do with Tua as a player or a person. He seems like a great kid and I really hope that he does come back from injury and is successful. Being drafted 3rd overall by the Detroit Lions and this current regime would have been one of the worst things to happen to him. 1) Matthew Stafford is already on the roster. This now creates a point of tension between Stafford and the franchise. His time is now limited and every week it will be "when is Tua starting?" and "when will Stafford be traded?"; 2) Tua does not play defense, which has been our biggest issue. A lot of the same issues that we're dealing with Matt Stafford under center are the same that Tua would be dealing with. This likely would result in; 3) The likelihood of a new regime coming in, who did not pick Tua and don't have anything invested in him; 4) He could be moved onto another team in a Josh Rosen-esque move if the new regime decided to go in a different direction. That would be 3 coaching staff's and schemes in 2 years. That's not going to help his confidence and it's detrimental to his learning curve. That is how you break a very talented player. 

In fact, the approach that the Lions EO (above Quinn) has taken was the best. We see the team back under Stafford, who was lost for most of last season. If things work, we've added pieces to help compliment him and build on things from last year. If things don't, we don't have anything invested in a young QB and a new regime (assuming that's the next logical step) will have a blank slate to bring in their own guys. If this thing blows up in our face, there's no reason that we don't have a chance at Trevor Lawrence. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

i would not have minded a move like the ravens did for Ngakoue  (3&5)still think the D side of the team needs a player or 2 compare to the offense.

I can agree with that. I mentioned Julio Jones because he's a dynamic talent, and for a good offense already he'd prolly firmly put the Lions in the top 5 passing attack. Honestly. Jones/Jones/Golladay/Hock/Swift/Stafford/Oline. 

That's honestly a great offense. Scoring a ton of points. Defense would be what it is, but Julio is that type of move where you're going for it this year, next year, and the year after. Pretty much lines up with Staffords window to win with this team. 

I'm also not saying these guys will do that because they've basically shown they don't have the coconuts to pull that type of move. Same with ownership, but if I'm trying to win, like really win, that's the move I pull. 

But, yes, Of coarse the defense needs way more talent. I just don't know there is 1 player or guy that'll shift things as much as Julio Jones would for this team. Even with him being on the offensive side of the ball.  

What I'm actually really worried about is that GB is gonna go for it and grab Julio Jones or A.J. Green for one last hoorah run with Aaron Rodgers. Jones more than Green spells sustained success for GB. 

Edited by SimbaWho

4 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

I can agree with that. I mentioned Julio Jones because he's a dynamic talent, and for a good offense already he'd prolly firmly put the Lions in the top 5 passing attack. Honestly. Jones/Jones/Golladay/Hock/Swift/Stafford/Oline. 

That's honestly a great offense. Scoring a ton of points. Defense would be what it is, but Julio is that type of move where you're going for it this year, next year, and the year after. Pretty much lines up with Staffords window to win with this team. 

I'm also not saying these guys will do that because they've basically shown they don't have the coconuts to pull that type of move. Same with ownership, but if I'm trying to win, like really win, that's the move I pull. 

But, yes, Of coarse the defense needs way more talent. I just don't know there is 1 player or guy that'll shift things as much as Julio Jones would for this team. Even with him being on the offensive side of the ball.  

I would trade Patricia straight up for Jones.  May even throw in BQ.

• Like 1