2020 Trade Deadline - What Would You Do?

Just Want A Title

17 hours ago, Millenhater said:

Quinnen Williams.  There’s talk that he’s available. Would you do it?  And what would you be willing to give up?

I'd probably give a second rounder for him... Probably.  I'm really on the fence with that. I'd for sure do a third. No way to a first. Having a nice rotation of Penisini, Shelton, and Williams sounds pretty good. I love the idea of fresh DTs. I feel it puts a lot of pressure on the OL.

However, this is only if I was Quinn and was trying to make a playoff push.

32 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I'd probably give a second rounder for him... Probably.  I'm really on the fence with that. I'd for sure do a third. No way to a first. Having a nice rotation of Penisini, Shelton, and Williams sounds pretty good. I love the idea of fresh DTs. I feel it puts a lot of pressure on the OL.

However, this is only if I was Quinn and was trying to make a playoff push.

I'd trade a conditional 3rd for Q and a 6 straight up for WJIII. Q would only have a cap hit of $2M this year while Jackson would be about $9M. We'd be adding two good players on the side of the ball that can use an injection of talent. 

I would also not be opposed to trying to find a veteran WR on the cheap. If KG goes down for any period of time, we don't really have the horses to sustain the offense. That Atlanta game was all Stafford to Kenny and Kenny coming down with circus like catches. 

KG - Marvin - Danny - Quintez - Hall - Agnew isn't a bad grouping but it's one bad injury away from being a major question mark. 

4 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I'd trade a conditional 3rd for Q and a 6 straight up for WJIII. Q would only have a cap hit of $2M this year while Jackson would be about $9M. We'd be adding two good players on the side of the ball that can use an injection of talent. 

I would also not be opposed to trying to find a veteran WR on the cheap. If KG goes down for any period of time, we don't really have the horses to sustain the offense. That Atlanta game was all Stafford to Kenny and Kenny coming down with circus like catches. 

KG - Marvin - Danny - Quintez - Hall - Agnew isn't a bad grouping but it's one bad injury away from being a major question mark. 

Right. Aren't we 3-0 with KG in the offense and 0-3 without him?  Makes a difference.  At this point, the Lions need to shore up the defense to allow the offense to win. If we have a major injury, it's all in vain.

1 minute ago, LionArkie said:

Right. Aren't we 3-0 with KG in the offense and 0-3 without him?  Makes a difference.  At this point, the Lions need to shore up the defense to allow the offense to win. If we have a major injury, it's all in vain.

I think you're right and that W was all KG. We're 3-3. We have some winnable games coming up (Indy, Min, Wsh, Car, Hou). Nothing is a given but we could enter December at 8-3. The Vikings appear to be turning towards 2021; Chicago is still a question mark. Foles hasn't had a great track record when he's been "the guy" for a lengthy period of time. 

There is an opportunity for us to get into the playoffs as the second seed. Once you're there, anything can happen. 

35 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I think you're right and that W was all KG. We're 3-3. We have some winnable games coming up (Indy, Min, Wsh, Car, Hou). Nothing is a given but we could enter December at 8-3. The Vikings appear to be turning towards 2021; Chicago is still a question mark. Foles hasn't had a great track record when he's been "the guy" for a lengthy period of time. 

There is an opportunity for us to get into the playoffs as the second seed. Once you're there, anything can happen. 

I know, and I have said, making the playoffs gets you the chance.  I'm fighting my own philosophy on this one. I want a team that is able to do more than get bounced handily as a wild card team. I don't think MP and BQ have what it takes.  End of story.  However they are in year 3 and although early, due to a weak schedule they could get in. If they win a round in the playoffs, then what? For management this will ensure they stay.  For that matter I'm almost certain they are going to be back next year as I think they are going to hit 500. As a fan, although I root for this team, I'm very uneasy about their future with these two leading the ship.

Edited by LionArkie
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I know, and I have said, making the playoffs gets you the chance.  I'm fighting my own philosophy on this one. I want a team that is able to do more than get bounced handily as a wild card team. I don't think MP and BQ have what it takes.  End of story.  However, they are in year 3 and although early, due to a weak schedule they could get in. If they win a round in the playoffs, then what? For management this will ensure they stay.  For that matter I'm almost certain they are going to be back next year as I think they are going to hit 500. As a fan, although I root for this team, I'm very uneasy about their future with these two leading the ship.

I don't disagree with you on that philosophy, however you have to take steps to get there. You have to put yourself in the position to get into the playoffs. Once you're there, you have to show that you're a team that can compete in that second season. Perennial 9-7 and 1st round playoff losses aren't going to cut it. It's why Caldwell is fired and if that is how Patricia tops out, that's going to be why he is fired. 

Quinn should not sell out the future of the franchise in order to limp into the playoffs this season. However, adding a young guy like Q for a 3rd (or even a 2nd) and/or adding a veteran CB like WJIII for a late round pick isn't going to do that. Both guys would be able to bring something to the team this season but also have a future on the team. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I don't disagree with you on that philosophy, however you have to take steps to get there. You have to put yourself in the position to get into the playoffs. Once you're there, you have to show that you're a team that can compete in that second season. Perennial 9-7 and 1st round playoff losses aren't going to cut it. It's why Caldwell is fired and if that is how Patricia tops out, that's going to be why he is fired. 

Quinn should not sell out the future of the franchise in order to limp into the playoffs this season. However, adding a young guy like Q for a 3rd (or even a 2nd) and/or adding a veteran CB like WJIII for a late round pick isn't going to do that. Both guys would be able to bring something to the team this season but also have a future on the team. 

Don't disagree at all, and that's why I'm fighting myself on this one.  I hate to see these two here for two more years, but they very well might get a record this year that keeps them here. I do reserve the right to completely contradict myself next year though.

Just now, LionArkie said:

Don't disagree at all, and that's why I'm fighting myself on this one.  I hate to see these two here for two more years, but they very well might get a record this year that keeps them here. I do reserve the right to completely contradict myself next year though.

If we lost to the Jaguars - they should have been fired. If we lost to Atlanta, they should have been fired. We're now sitting at 3-3. If we go 6-10, they should be fired. If they go 8-8 or 9-7, then you give them another year. If they are on a similar trajectory in 2021, you do what the Falcons did, fire early and then start the search. 

• Like 2

These guys just coached there best game of the season.  It led to them needing some atrocious officiating and opponent coaching to beat a 1 win team on the last play of the game.  I give MP credit for a good game but overall the team still did everything possible to lose, the game was all but over and THEY gave it back.  This team isn’t any better than if the falcons had just kneel’t it and kicked the fg as time expires.  The falcons collapsed straight Lions style.  

Noway they should be buyers. Buying is for teams making a run at a championship not so maybe you can get lucky and sneak into the newly expanded final wild card spot.  There not even contending for a division and people want to buy

5 hours ago, BigC421/ said:

These guys just coached there best game of the season.  It led to them needing some atrocious officiating and opponent coaching to beat a 1 win team on the last play of the game.  I give MP credit for a good game but overall the team still did everything possible to lose, the game was all but over and THEY gave it back.  This team isn’t any better than if the falcons had just kneel’t it and kicked the fg as time expires.  The falcons collapsed straight Lions style.  

Noway they should be buyers. Buying is for teams making a run at a championship not so maybe you can get lucky and sneak into the newly expanded final wild card spot.  There not even contending for a division and people want to buy

I don’t think anyone wants to buy, but if you were Quinn would you make a trade? I thought this was the whole premise of the discussion?

8 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

If we lost to the Jaguars - they should have been fired. If we lost to Atlanta, they should have been fired. We're now sitting at 3-3. If we go 6-10, they should be fired. If they go 8-8 or 9-7, then you give them another year. If they are on a similar trajectory in 2021, you do what the Falcons did, fire early and then start the search. 

You already said Patricia should be fired after the NO game. No take backs.

12 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

You already said Patricia should be fired after the NO game. No take backs.

I don't own the team. 

They've decided to keep him and here we are at 3-3. Since it seems the plan is to see out the rest (or most) of the year, then I still hold the standard that 6-10 should not be acceptable while 8-8+ should give BQ/MP another year.