Ravens trade for Yannick Ngakoue

SalvadorsDeli

I honestly wonder what would happen if Yannick tests out as having COVID-19. Like would they complete the deal and just wait until he’s healthy? Would he not be allowed to be traded for because he would “technically” be failing the physical?

Would hate for this to be another Michael Brockers type situation.

edit: Though in retrospect this trade is likely only made possible due to the fact that we didn’t end up signing Brockers, as we wouldn’t have the necessary cap space I would assume.

Edited by diamondbull424

7 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I wonder how we plan to use him. Obviously he's a better fit for a 4-3, but I wonder if we'll just primarily use him in sub packages to rush the passer? I also wonder how/if our utilization of Judon will change as a result of this.

I see Yannick as a situational pass rusher. I still see McPhee / Ferg playing on early downs for defending the run. Yannick comes in fresh for the passing downs.

Judon is still our most complete EDGE. I dont see his reps changing. 

Just now, Davesta said:

I see Yannick as a situational pass rusher. I still see McPhee / Ferg playing on early downs for defending the run. Yannick comes in fresh for the passing downs.

Judon is still our most complete EDGE. I dont see his reps changing. 

I wouldn't see his reps changing either, just wonder if we'll drop him into coverage less or use him as a middle blitzer less now that we should be able to reliably get pressure with 4-5 people.

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I wouldn't see his reps changing either, just wonder if we'll drop him into coverage less or use him as a middle blitzer less now that we should be able to reliably get pressure with 4-5 people.

That middle blitzer idea is interesting. McPhee's first stint here, he was known for his ability to slide inside during passing downs and rushing from there.

I'm imagining our packages now on passing downs... Yannick / Judon on the outside with Mcphee, Campbell and wolfe with the inside pressure. Lordy Lord. 

38 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I honestly wonder what would happen if Yannick tests out as having COVID-19. Like would they complete the deal and just wait until he’s healthy? Would he not be allowed to be traded for because he would “technically” be failing the physical?

Would hate for this to be another Michael Brockers type situation.

edit: Though in retrospect this trade is likely only made possible due to the fact that we didn’t end up signing Brockers, as we wouldn’t have the necessary cap space I would assume.

The team decides what counts as failing the physical or not, but I doubt that in the unlikely event that he gets COVID10 between now and then that that would cause EDC to try to renegotiate the trade like we tried to renegotiate Brockers' contract

source.gif

What a move. That edge group is downright filthy now with the addition of a true threat out there. Everyone else gets moved back into the roles they should be in. Yannick isn't an every-down stalwart in the mold of Suggs, but he doesn't have to be with this rotation. As long as Martindale keeps rotating guys I have a hard time seeing this fail. And then if the defensive line ever gets mostly healthy with Williams, Campbell, Wolfe, and Madubuike all contributing... 😵

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Boodgyman5220 said:

So there it is very unlikely that we would trade for him without having plans to sign him long term right?

I would say yes, but it can't happen this season since Yannick was hit with the franchise tag this past offseason (even though he didn't end up signing it). The deadline to sign players that have been franchise tagged to long-term deals was months ago. Not sure why that deadline exists, but it does. 

Ngakoue is another throw back type of Raven. Big energy, swag, and a serious edge to his personality. He's not a nice guy out there...

We have a lot of young players on this team right now that are almost carbon copies of each other in terms of energy and enthusiasm for the game. Bodes really well for our future. 

Three defining personality types on our defense, here's how I break it down-

1. Calais Campbell, Brandon Williams, Chuck Clark, Jimmy Smith, Tyus Bowser, LJ Fort

3. Marlon Humphrey, Patrick Queen, DeShon Elliot, Tavon Young

4. Marcus Peters, Yannick Ngakoue, Pernell McPhee, Jihad Ward, 

Note sure where to put Judon who's a unique case or Wolfe who I don't have pegged yet.

4 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

I would say yes, but it can't happen this season since Yannick was hit with the franchise tag this past offseason (even though he didn't end up signing it). The deadline to sign players that have been franchise tagged to long-term deals was months ago. Not sure why that deadline exists, but it does.

I don't think there's much doubt that barring something completely unforeseen, Yannick is extended and becomes our Rush LB for the foreseeable future. Judon is as good as gone, and we'll either extend Bowser to replace him at SAM or go looking in the draft.

If we can get Yannick back to his 2017/2018 level and trajectory, this a major win for the franchise long term. He's still a good player but EDC has to be banking on him returning to peak form and ascending beyond it with this move. I think that will happen too. He's playing for his hometown team, knows he'll get his money, with one of the league's strongest organizations and defensive coaching staffs. He'll bond quickly with all the other young live wires on the squad. This a great swing on that homerun pass rusher we've been waiting on.

Edited by DreamKid

26 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Well sounds like he’s about to be eating a lot. Would’ve been great if we could lock him up with an extension before he explodes, but I’m sure if that were the case the Vikings wouldve already extended him and we wouldn’t have had this unique opportunity. The concept of his franchise tag keeping him from being able to be resigned is about as unique as your agent not “faxing” your deal back in time. 😂

10 hours ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

EDC really out there calling his shot man... can't imagine he just meant signing Dez Bryant to the practice squad when he included that nugget... WHAT ARE YOU PLANNING YOU ABSOLUTE MADMAN 

10 hours ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

“We are excited to add Yannick Ngakoue to our football team,” DeCosta stated. “Yannick is someone who we are very familiar with going back to the draft process years ago. He is an exciting player and a dangerous pass rusher who makes us better. Yannick grew up here. He’s the type of person we welcome in our building. Finally, we are not finished building this team, as we continue to chase our ultimate goals.”

I’m sure I’m staring at this way too long, but I wonder if this is some sort of inadvertent slip in verbiage that lets the front offices feelings known on such a move towards AB.

• Like 1