Vikings Trade Ngakoue To Baltimore

SemperFeist

there's no doubt this whole situation sucked. the trade was made with the idea that we would have an elite EDGE duo to compete this season and then re-sign ngakoue long-term. then hunter's injury turns into a season-ending one so we never get to see them together. then our season quickly takes a nose-dive and we go into rebuild mode, and either ngakoue said he wasn't likely to re-sign or spielman didn't want to risk him not re-signing and also not getting compensation. so now we trade him and lose a lot of value on our initial trade.

i think it was a good move considering the situation. if there was indication that ngakoue wouldn't re-sign then that 3rd round pick would be a lot more important for a quick rebuild than a compensatory 3rd in 2022. and it also gives wonnum a shot.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I wouldn't bemoan not getting him too much. He's really struggled overall and has only flashed a handful of times. It's not a 3/4 4/3 issue either, the Ravens are rarely in their base defense. 

As a Vikes fan there's probably a lot of reasons to pick at this deal, but not getting Ferg in exchange shouldn't be one of them.

To me Ferguson is a poor fit in a 3/4 defense and arguably Ngakoue is a poor fit in a 4/3 defense unless he is beside some great run stoppers who can hold the point of attack, and the Ravens have those guys on the DL which allow Ngakoue to not be great against the run because others will pick up the slack.  Ferguson is not a good enough athlete arguably to play 3/4 OLB but will see.  Still I would not have minded if he was in the deal and forget that 5th round pick.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I highly doubt it.

Praying we get a new GM that trades up instead of down. I'd love Jaylen Twyman in the 2nd, assuming we can get Lance/Fields with our 1st.

We will not draft in the second round next years draft on our current picks without a trade and I don't want to see two thirds traded just to pick in round two.

Edited by solidvikingfan

2 hours ago, solidvikingfan said:

We will not draft in the second round next years draft on our current picks without a trade and I don't want to see two thirds traded just to pick in round two.

Get ready for Rick to trade down from #3-#6, to collect a mid 2nd rounder, and then proclaim we got great value and we likely net gained from bringing in Yannick.

Edited by CriminalMind

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

He's had far less mistakes than most.  And plus, I think it signals more that he is being retained than the end.

Exactly. You don’t make long term moves if your job is on the line. Spielman is safe, although it shouldn’t be.

Zimmer on the other hand, might be a different question. 

Edited by SemperFeist

10 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Get ready for Rick to trade down from #3-#6, to collect a mid 2nd rounder, and then proclaim we got great value and we likely net gained from bringing in Yannick.

fwiw, the 3rd overall pick is worth about 2200 pts (depending on the chart): moving down to 6th overall (1600 pts) would also probably net us their 2nd (520 pts and the 6th pick of the 2nd round) and 5th (39 pts).

On 10/22/2020 at 7:40 PM, SemperFeist said:

No. 

But a more interesting question becomes, do the conditions still apply?

It usually depends on the conditions.  Since the condition I believe to push it to a 3rd round pick was if they won a Super Bowl, that's not going to happen.  If he's a first ballot Pro Bowl selection, that shouldn't be tied to the Vikings.  But since there's no Pro Bowl...

EDIT: Just speculating, since the Ravens traded a '22 5th round pick I think it's pretty safe to say the Vikings' 5th round pick goes to the Jaguars and the Ravens will go to Minnesota.