Proposal: Trade for Matt Stafford

bionicsuperfreak

This is pretty simple, really. You have welcomed yourself to the hole that is Kirk Cousins. You can't trade Cousins given the cap ramifications. But you can add Matthew Stafford if you also move Harrison Smith. The logic is simple. The Lions have no good players. A rebuild is a mere formality. If you put a good quarterback to man the ship. Then you are sailing on your way.

What I see is Zach Ertz. Matthew Stafford. And Dalvin Cook. That works. Given Stafford's mobility. The need to respect the stretch run of Dalvin Cook. Zach Ertz is open every play. Add-in Thielen. And Mr. Jefferson. And the dome is screaming like a banshee.

Harrison Smith to PIT for a 2nd

Matthew Stafford for two 1st's. And up to. Two 1's. And two 3's. 

Note: Then maybe you can get a 3rd back for Kirk Cousins. To probably Detroit of all places. But you'd have to wait until after the season to make that happen. 

Edited by bionicsuperfreak
Matrix phone glitch

24 minutes ago, bionicsuperfreak said:

You can't trade Cousins given the cap ramifications.

I disagree with that assertion. Trading Kirk Cousins now would almost be ideal from a cap perspective. What is the alternative? Keeping him around and paying him even more money.

If the Vikings trade Kurt Cousins away halfway through the season they will have paid him $30M in signing bonus and half of his $9.5M 2020 salary. They take $20M in dead money next year.

If they keep him through next year they pay him all of the above plus the rest of this year's salary and next year's $21M salary. His cap number next year is still $31M, or $11M more than it would be if they traded him right now.  Assuming the push the $4.75M saved from this year onto next years cap that looks like a savings of over $15M against next years cap if the team traded Cousins right now.

So, cap ramifications are the reason to trade Cousins, not a reason we can't trade him.

The reason we can't trade him is likely because there are no other teams that want him. It would take a Rick Spielman like Bradford panic trade for a team to take him. There aren't many GMs that would do that. But yeah, the Cowboys could have Cousins for the remainder of the year for $4.75M. They are in good position to win their division but lost their QB. If they had Rick Spielman they might give up a first round pick for Cousins.

Since not many GMs are Rick Spielman level, I don't expect anyone to give anything for Cousins. I would be happy to give up a low pick with Kurt to get a team to take him off our hands.

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I disagree with that assertion. Trading Kirk Cousins now would almost be ideal from a cap perspective. What is the alternative? Keeping him around and paying him even more money.

If the Vikings trade Kurt Cousins away halfway through the season they will have paid him $30M in signing bonus and half of his $9.5M 2020 salary. They take $20M in dead money next year.

If they keep him through next year they pay him all of the above plus the rest of this year's salary and next year's $21M salary. His cap number next year is still $31M, or $11M more than it would be if they traded him right now.  Assuming the push the $4.75M saved from this year onto next years cap that looks like a savings of over $15M against next years cap if the team traded Cousins right now.

So, cap ramifications are the reason to trade Cousins, not a reason we can't trade him.

The reason we can't trade him is likely because there are no other teams that want him. It would take a Rick Spielman like Bradford panic trade for a team to take him. There aren't many GMs that would do that. But yeah, the Cowboys could have Cousins for the remainder of the year for $4.75M. They are in good position to win their division but lost their QB. If they had Rick Spielman they might give up a first round pick for Cousins.

Since not many GMs are Rick Spielman level, I don't expect anyone to give anything for Cousins. I would be happy to give up a low pick with Kurt to get a team to take him off our hands.

You can't trade him this year. OTC.

You can't trade him after March 20, 2021. 2022 salary becomes guaranteed.

Must trade before March 20, 2021. Resulting in dead money of $41m.

6 minutes ago, bionicsuperfreak said:

You can't trade him this year. OTC.

You can't trade him after March 20, 2021. 2022 salary becomes guaranteed.

Must trade before March 20, 2021. Resulting in dead money of $41m.

Outlandish trade proposal aside, the quoted doesn’t seem accurate.

No.

I'm not trading two firsts for a QB who's never won (sound familiar?) when we can use those two firsts to move up and take a rookie QB in the draft and NOBODY is taking on Kirk's contract for the level of play he's producing.

Zach Ertz isnt the player he was 2 years ago and is even being faded out by Goddert in Philly....why don't we just make Irv that guy?

You're talking about rebuilding but adding a 33 year old QB and 30 year old TE....wut?

Just keep the firsts and 3rds and draft. That's how you rebuild. Not taking in aging players.

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, bionicsuperfreak said:

This is pretty simple, really. You have welcomed yourself to the hole that is Kirk Cousins. You can't trade Cousins given the cap ramifications. But you can add Matthew Stafford if you also move Harrison Smith. The logic is simple. The Lions have no good players. A rebuild is a mere formality. If you put a good quarterback to man the ship. Then you are sailing on your way.

What I see is Zach Ertz. Matthew Stafford. And Dalvin Cook. That works. Given Stafford's mobility. The need to respect the stretch run of Dalvin Cook. Zach Ertz is open every play. Add-in Thielen. And Mr. Jefferson. And the dome is screaming like a banshee.

Harrison Smith to PIT for a 2nd

Matthew Stafford for two 1st's. And up to. Two 1's. And two 3's. 

Note: Then maybe you can get a 3rd back for Kirk Cousins. To probably Detroit of all places. But you'd have to wait until after the season to make that happen. 

Are you located in Flint? If so, STOP DRINKING THE WATER. If not, remember that drugs are bad.