Proposal: Trade for Matt Stafford

bionicsuperfreak

• 2 months later...
On 10/22/2020 at 4:56 PM, Cearbhall said:

I disagree with that assertion. Trading Kirk Cousins now would almost be ideal from a cap perspective. What is the alternative? Keeping him around and paying him even more money.

If the Vikings trade Kurt Cousins away halfway through the season they will have paid him $30M in signing bonus and half of his $9.5M 2020 salary. They take $20M in dead money next year.

If they keep him through next year they pay him all of the above plus the rest of this year's salary and next year's $21M salary. His cap number next year is still $31M, or $11M more than it would be if they traded him right now.  Assuming the push the $4.75M saved from this year onto next years cap that looks like a savings of over $15M against next years cap if the team traded Cousins right now.

So, cap ramifications are the reason to trade Cousins, not a reason we can't trade him.

The reason we can't trade him is likely because there are no other teams that want him. It would take a Rick Spielman like Bradford panic trade for a team to take him. There aren't many GMs that would do that. But yeah, the Cowboys could have Cousins for the remainder of the year for $4.75M. They are in good position to win their division but lost their QB. If they had Rick Spielman they might give up a first round pick for Cousins.

Since not many GMs are Rick Spielman level, I don't expect anyone to give anything for Cousins. I would be happy to give up a low pick with Kurt to get a team to take him off our hands.

+1

@CearbhallI would move Kirk Cousins to Pittsburgh. The Steelers would move Ben to the Jets. Or he retires. And the Jets would send the Vikings the Giants 5th rd pick. Pittsburgh is a fringe prideful non-rebuilding type team. Kirk Cousins would work with a team that is committed to running the ball and controlling the clock, where Cousins only has to throw 20-25 times, like they did in the early part of Ben's career. They would then be able to move some of his money around making his year one cap hit more palatable. Adding future years to create some dead money and get out of the deal, if need be. 

I think the Jets should take a brick by brick approach. And that means not taking a QB early in this draft. Because of their glaring amount of holes. And that means trading down multiple times from their pick in an effort to fix their shattered franchise.

Teams rarely have the QB/RB combo and if the Vikings get that, with the receivers they have, that would make them the favorite in the NFC North. 30 PPG. As for the Vikings and the trading of Matthew Stafford, you're kinda like hanging out in purgatory. You had the defense. Now, you lost the defense. You have the offense, but you still have Kirk Cousins. So, you don't have the offense. Get the Quarterback, man. Before you lose the offense. You're gonna lose out on winning for the glorification of Kirk Cousins. 

Basically, now you're looking at a 5th for Kirk Cousins. Any way you slice it. Probably a 4th for Harrison Smith. So, you might as well keep him. The point of trading Harrison Smith was so you don't end up like Houston. You see? You wanted to get picks back so you mitigate the damage of a mega deal. 

Stafford will go for two 1st's and up to two 3's and he will drastically change the team he plays for. In my example, say Stafford went for two 1st's and a 3rd. Kirk Cousins traded in the thick of things would have gotten a 3rd rd pick. Now, you're down to two 1st's. Harrison Smith would have gotten a 2nd rd pick from Pittsburgh for the 40 games he had left in his career. There would have been enough picks incoming where you avoid a Houtson. Not too mention the only ghost of Kirk Cousins that remains is that cap hit. Now, you still should make the move, but now you have acquired more risk. The original deal is in the past. But fans are so clueless. Their tears will sabotage any good deal. No, no, no, not Harrisonnnn. When he plays a physical position and only plays for two more years. It's not like trading DeAndre Hopkins.

This is why we don't have nice things. 

On 1/24/2021 at 1:51 PM, bionicsuperfreak said:

@CearbhallI would move Kirk Cousins to Pittsburgh. The Steelers would move Ben to the Jets. Or he retires. And the Jets would send the Vikings the Giants 5th rd pick. Pittsburgh is a fringe prideful non-rebuilding type team. Kirk Cousins would work with a team that is committed to running the ball and controlling the clock, where Cousins only has to throw 20-25 times, like they did in the early part of Ben's career. They would then be able to move some of his money around making his year one cap hit more palatable. Adding future years to create some dead money and get out of the deal, if need be. 

I think the Jets should take a brick by brick approach. And that means not taking a QB early in this draft. Because of their glaring amount of holes. And that means trading down multiple times from their pick in an effort to fix their shattered franchise.

Teams rarely have the QB/RB combo and if the Vikings get that, with the receivers they have, that would make them the favorite in the NFC North. 30 PPG. As for the Vikings and the trading of Matthew Stafford, you're kinda like hanging out in purgatory. You had the defense. Now, you lost the defense. You have the offense, but you still have Kirk Cousins. So, you don't have the offense. Get the Quarterback, man. Before you lose the offense. You're gonna lose out on winning for the glorification of Kirk Cousins. 

Basically, now you're looking at a 5th for Kirk Cousins. Any way you slice it. Probably a 4th for Harrison Smith. So, you might as well keep him. The point of trading Harrison Smith was so you don't end up like Houston. You see? You wanted to get picks back so you mitigate the damage of a mega deal. 

Stafford will go for two 1st's and up to two 3's and he will drastically change the team he plays for. In my example, say Stafford went for two 1st's and a 3rd. Kirk Cousins traded in the thick of things would have gotten a 3rd rd pick. Now, you're down to two 1st's. Harrison Smith would have gotten a 2nd rd pick from Pittsburgh for the 40 games he had left in his career. There would have been enough picks incoming where you avoid a Houtson. Not too mention the only ghost of Kirk Cousins that remains is that cap hit. Now, you still should make the move, but now you have acquired more risk. The original deal is in the past. But fans are so clueless. Their tears will sabotage any good deal. No, no, no, not Harrisonnnn. When he plays a physical position and only plays for two more years. It's not like trading DeAndre Hopkins.

This is why we don't have nice things. 

Lions Fan?

I like Staffords toughness and his ability to be clutch, but the Vikings need to get younger and more mobile at the quarterback position.  Stafford can't offer those elements.

4 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I like Staffords toughness and his ability to be clutch, but the Vikings need to get younger and more mobile at the quarterback position.  Stafford can't offer those elements.

Why’s being more mobile a requirement? I don’t think a lack of mobility has really hurt Cousins. He’s got other issues for sure, just don’t see him on the lower tier of being an immobile QB. He could be more decisive and get the ball out quickly, that’s helped Brady and Brees. Would be great go find an Allen, Watson or Mahomes who can do it all but that’s easier said than done. 

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

Why’s being more mobile a requirement? I don’t think a lack of mobility has really hurt Cousins. He’s got other issues for sure, just don’t see him on the lower tier of being an immobile QB. He could be more decisive and get the ball out quickly, that’s helped Brady and Brees. Would be great go find an Allen, Watson or Mahomes who can do it all but that’s easier said than done. 

I don't think it's necessarily a requirement, but you'd like to have the QB be a little more mobile within the pocket even than Cousins.  Brady, at a decade older, is probably even more mobile within the pocket than Cousins is and as you said, he gets the ball out much quicker too, which has helped him.  If Kirk could just make his decisions quicker, he'd probably have more success himself.