The Boats are on Fire! Who's Getting Shipped Off?

RpMc

37 minutes ago, RpMc said:

What’s the highest draft compensation you would attach to Kirk Cousins to move him out this offseason?

How sour on him are you? How beneficial would it be to just have him out of the locker room assuming we draft a QB high in the draft?

Houston moved a future 2nd with Osweiler for a fourth. Kirk is a more useful QB than Osweiler, but does the $35M in salary make his value more negative than Brock’s?

I don't think that I would give up more than a 3rd to offload Cousins.

That is like buying $56M in cap space for a 3rd round pick -- a pretty good deal. That money can be reinvested in a way that helps the team more than a 3rd round pick would help them.

If the team trades him on Monday they save an additional $5.59M in salary and cap space this year, which they can push into a cap for next year that does not look like it will be growing. The sooner the team trades him the better. A Monday trade would save the team over $61.5M when compared to keeping Cousins for the last two years of his contract.

I doubt the team trades him on Monday though. Trading Cousins is a move that becomes a reasonable possible reality after Spielman is fired. 

Cousins was already under contract for this year. Giving him that extension is looking heinous.

Edited by Cearbhall

26 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

After Taylor Lewan went down, Reiff to TN makes the most sense.  Also Harris to Philly or Dallas

Dallas may also be a destination for Reiff is Jerry wants to win that division this year. It is there for the taking. He can have Reiff, Harris, and Cousins to fill his needs at tackle, safety, and QB.

I doubt Reiff and Harris is enough compensation to convince him to take on Cousins. Cousins would cost him $5M against the cap this year but also $21M against the cap next year. $26M for a half year of Cousins is likely too crazy for Jerry. Perhaps Jerry doesn't think they'll keep Dak after this year. If that is the case for just $35M he can have Cousins for two more years. That is a bargain for a starting QB.

1 hour ago, RpMc said:

What’s the highest draft compensation you would attach to Kirk Cousins to move him out this offseason?

How sour on him are you? How beneficial would it be to just have him out of the locker room assuming we draft a QB high in the draft?

Houston moved a future 2nd with Osweiler for a fourth. Kirk is a more useful QB than Osweiler, but does the $35M in salary make his value more negative than Brock’s?

With a shrinking salary cap, Kirk is unmovable. Draft his replacement in April. Work on getting the offensive line fixed for another season, and let Kirk be the one that takes all of the hits next year. That is realistically the best case scenario for the Vikings. 

41 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

With a shrinking salary cap, Kirk is unmovable. Draft his replacement in April. Work on getting the offensive line fixed for another season, and let Kirk be the one that takes all of the hits next year. That is realistically the best case scenario for the Vikings. 

Everything has a price. The question was how high a price would you be willing to pay? The cost to move him may be higher than any of us would be willing to pay, but that is a separate issue. Cousins could be moved.

Would a team with ample cap space agree to take on Cousins' contract burden if the Vikings gave them 10 first round picks? Yes. The Vikings wouldn't give that much but how much would you be willing to part with to move him?

What if the Vikings gave Dallas Reiff, Harris, Cousins, and agreed to pay half of the remaining 2020 salaries for those three players? Those players would then be fairly cheap for Dallas. Dallas would get some Reiff option years, a look at Harris and dibs on negotiating with him after this season, and an insurance policy in case Dak doesn't come back. The Viking get immediate cap relief (half the salaries of the three they traded away) this year and next year (Reiff and a small amount of Cousins 2021 cap relief).

Dallas takes on $21M dead money next year if/when then cut Cousins. MN takes on $20M dead money next year for Cousins but don't have to pay the $21M guaranteed salary so come out slightly ahead capwise in 2021.  The teams have split the Cousins dead money burden and both teams have obtained something of value. The Cowboys may want more than that to take on Cousins. How much more? That is hard to say. What we can say is how much more we would be willing to give up. I wouldn't give them a first round pick to close the deal. I would give them a 5th round pick to close that deal. That means no darts for a Daniel Carlson of Kaare Vedvik -- a pill that I could swallow.

Edited by Cearbhall

This team doesn't need a full rebuild with or without Zimmer next year. The Vikings are not a bad team with no talent. QB,OL,DL and Secondary are the problems with this team. The QB has to be a difference maker if taking so much cap space. Sadly Kirk just isn't that guy. The DL will have Hunter/Michael and 3T would be the only need. Secondary is a work in progress but at least Cam and Gladney are getting reps in now.  Safety could be a trouble spot if our young CBs don't develop and no Harris.   

Who should be traded before the deadline:

Reiff

Kyle

Harris (Has to be for a 3rd or 4th round pick)

Sharpe

Players who should be gone afterwards

Kirk Cousins -  Either through trade or Post June designated cut in March. 

Barr - I always felt he receive too much blame and fans are over critical of him sometimes. However, he's not worth 11+ mill for a off-ball 4-3OLB

Dozier, Elfien, Jaleel, Stephen, Mannion 

Edited by dc_vikingfan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

He would only cost $21M to his new team next year. 

I think it’s unlikely he’s moved, but there are teams, who could use a stop gap type QB, like the Colts, that have the cap space to handle that on top of buying draft compensation. 

8 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Excluding rookies:

Keep H. Smith, Watts, Kendricks and Hunter on defense.

Keep Thielen, Cook (unless you get a crazy offer), O'Neill, I. Smith and Bradbury on offense.

I like everything except I think you trade Thielen. And if someone offer a high 2nd or 1st you move Smith too. Keep the rest.  

Also, what happens if nothing more happens. Or maybe just one more trade? Fire everyone if so. I have a scary suspicion that deep down Spielman and Zimmer haven't embraced the suck yet.

39 minutes ago, Viking Penguin said:

I like everything except I think you trade Thielen. And if someone offer a high 2nd or 1st you move Smith too. Keep the rest.  

Also, what happens if nothing more happens. Or maybe just one more trade? Fire everyone if so. I have a scary suspicion that deep down Spielman and Zimmer haven't embraced the suck yet.

It takes 2 teams to make a trade and there is a lot of teams in the vikings position.  If be surprised if we see more than 1 or 2 more trades from the vikings

46 minutes ago, RpMc said:

He would only cost $21M to his new team next year.

$21M is a good deal for a starting QB in the league nowadays. The problem is, that is not all he'll cost a team next year. He'll cost them $21M and triggering $35M guaranteed salary in 2022.

Basically, a team can decide to take him this year for ~$26M, or take him for 2021 and 2022 years for $56M. It would also be possible to take him for the rest of this year and the next two for $61M.

As far as the team trading him to someone else that wants him for just this year, that would be the hardest. There aren't teams looking to bring in QBs halfway through the season. Trading him during the season would be a super long shot, but if it is to happen I have to believe it includes the Vikings agreeing to pay a large portion of Cousin's salary this year and next year. Best shot is the Vikings sending a team $10M with Cousins. The Vikings could do this by agreeing to pay a portion of Cousins' salary.

Far more likely, but still hard to do, would be trading Cousins after this season. How that looks would depend largely on how Cousins plays in the next 10 games. Assuming he looks like an above average QB, which he can look like that, a team might take Cousins for $56M spread over two years without requiring much else from the Vikings. On the other hand, if Cousins looks like he has looked in the first six games this year getting a team to take him on via trade would require the Vikings doing a lot of convincing. That convincing would likely have to come in the form of paying some of Cousins salary and draft pick compensation.

In the end, Cousins would be going to his third team. It is hard to trade a QB that two teams have already decided they didn't want. It isn't impossible, Houston moved Osweiller to a third team. Of course, the third team did it knowing they didn't want the QB.

Less than an hour ago an Instagram page called SkolBros posted something saying “Breaking: #Vikings are trading TE Kyle Rudolph and a 5th round pick to the #Patriots for a second-round pick, a fifth-round pick and a 6th.  Cam gets a new target in veteran Kyle Rudolph.”

But then they deleted the post like 5 minutes later so I’m guessing it must’ve been fake.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Viking Penguin said:

You have to keep the leaders on the team, and you keep Thielen for the next QB. Bisi Johnson is okay, but he's best as a #3/#4 not a starter. You lose Thielen you have Cook, Jefferson and not much else.

13 hours ago, Kparty15 said:

Less than an hour ago an Instagram page called SkolBros posted something saying “Breaking: #Vikings are trading TE Kyle Rudolph and a 5th round pick to the #Patriots for a second-round pick, a fifth-round pick and a 6th.  Cam gets a new target in veteran Kyle Rudolph.”

But then they deleted the post like 5 minutes later so I’m guessing it must’ve been fake.

That would be an impressive trade