The Boats are on Fire! Who's Getting Shipped Off?

RpMc

1 hour ago, RpMc said:

Who's your new QB going to throw to if you offload Thielen?  You're just going to have to spend that 2nd round pick, or a higher one, to replace him.  Him and Harrison Smith make little sense to trade given what we have behind them and the impact they still have on the team.

Well keeping Thielen and Harris isn’t getting us any closer to the SB. And I’m perfectly fine using that draft pick on a WR. Again, we would be freeing up money to maybe improve at another position and get younger..

17 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

Would they be able to fit Cousins on their cap?

13 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Assuming they cut Garoppolo, yes.

Cousins has a reasonable cap hit next year at $21M, 2022 is the concern at $35M.

Garopollo dead money:

Pre 6/1 cut: $2.8M

Post 6/1 cut: $1.4M

*Cutting Jimmy G would give them ~$41.3M in cap space if the cap is at $176M.

Edited by VikeManDan
*Added 49ers cap space.

Lately I have been assuming that getting any team to trade for Cousins will involve the Vikings agreeing to pay some of his salary as part of the terms of the trade. If the Vikings pay $10M of his salary he'll be an affordable $23M per year for the next two years for the team trading for him. At that price I think there may be a team willing to give up a mid round pick to have Cousins hold the fort while they find their QB of the future.

41 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Lately I have been assuming that getting any team to trade for Cousins will involve the Vikings agreeing to pay some of his salary as part of the terms of the trade. If the Vikings pay $10M of his salary he'll be an affordable $23M per year for the next two years for the team trading for him. At that price I think there may be a team willing to give up a mid round pick to have Cousins hold the fort while they find their QB of the future.

Like picking up salary beyond the signing bonus money?

I wonder if a team would take a late round pick swap to make up for that