The "Who else should we trade for?" thread (non-WR edition)

berlin calling

32 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Short of adding a  Pro Bowl/All Pro guard. No move would our team stronger overall than fielding a pass rush of  Ngakoue-Q. Williams-Campbell-Judon/Bowser

Eh could very well be true but at some point we're just talking about diminishing returns on defense. In terms of building a championship team and fixing our playoff issues the two big time needs were both passing game related: giving ourselves a chance at a pass rush that can win and generate pressure without needing all of the exotic Wink stuff that the best QB's like Mahomes aren't fazed by. And then on the other end, making sure we're positioned to play in catch-up mode should we need to. 

With the guys we have in the front 7 and secondary we're already loaded there and have put our best foot forward in terms of being ready to go to battle with Mahomes if the time comes for that in January. But we're still not ready for what happens if we have to play catch-up against PIT/KC/TEN in January and they just double up on Hollywood and Andrews and dare us to beat them with guys who are either not really ready (Duvernay) or just mostly trash (Boykin, Snead). We're not in a situation where only a superstar improves us, really any marginally above average WR who can get open and catch the ball makes us a lot better on offense. Doubt Dez is gonna be that answer. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli

9 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Eh could very well be true but at some point we're just talking about diminishing returns on defense.

I'd worry about this if we were adding another simply above average edge rusher like Kerrigan or something. At DI though, I think there's plenty of room for impact- especially as a pass rusher.

11 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

We're not in a situation where only a superstar improves us, really any marginally above average WR who can get open and catch the ball makes us a lot better on offense. Doubt Dez is gonna be that answer. 

Agree about Dez. I think bringing him in might even be a step backwards tbh.

Regarding the bolded, who fits this criteria and how much faith can we have in it? 

Unless we reel in a true dynamo, it's hard to see Lamar developing an instant connection with someone new to the offense that 'makes us a lot better' imo. Or our play designers on offense incorporating them in a meaningful way.

Not trying to be a doomer about the situation, but I think if we believe we we're one modest piece away from a systemic overhaul with our current offense- we're setting ourselves up for disappointment. 

4 hours ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Eh could very well be true but at some point we're just talking about diminishing returns on defense. In terms of building a championship team and fixing our playoff issues the two big time needs were both passing game related: giving ourselves a chance at a pass rush that can win and generate pressure without needing all of the exotic Wink stuff that the best QB's like Mahomes aren't fazed by. And then on the other end, making sure we're positioned to play in catch-up mode should we need to. 

Agreed here and agreed on the diminishing returns aspect. But I think the crucial thing to realize is that Q.Williams provides this defense with an ascending elite piece at every level of the defense: DB- Humphrey, LB- Queen, DL- Q.Williams. Add Yannick as a potential guy there assuming we sign him long term. That would give us two cheap defensive building blocks (Queen, QW) along with the long term investments that should be hitting their peak seasons right as Lamar is hitting the more expensive seasons of his deal.

So while for this season, their would be definite diminishing possibilities. When we look at say a 3-5 year plan of SB opportunities, a QW trade would be atop the list. He’s cheap, cost controlled, and young. If the Jets are stupid enough to trade him I’m sure it’s only because they thought they were getting Aaron Donald 2.0 and in reality Williams is more of a player ascending into an Ndamukong Suh type of DT, but on a Cameron Heyward career growth pattern.

4 hours ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

With the guys we have in the front 7 and secondary we're already loaded there and have put our best foot forward in terms of being ready to go to battle with Mahomes if the time comes for that in January. But we're still not ready for what happens if we have to play catch-up against PIT/KC/TEN in January and they just double up on Hollywood and Andrews and dare us to beat them with guys who are either not really ready (Duvernay) or just mostly trash (Boykin, Snead). We're not in a situation where only a superstar improves us, really any marginally above average WR who can get open and catch the ball makes us a lot better on offense. Doubt Dez is gonna be that answer. 

Agree on this front. We do seriously need WR talent. But looking at the market, there doesn’t appear to be anyone we can really bring in except for AB.

Looking over the top 25 WRs in the league the only three WRs we likely had a shot at would’ve been Adam Thielen, Allen Robinson, and Julio Jones.

Well Julio is likely rock blocked away due to the Falcons having no GM and would be unlikely to rob a guy interviewing of potential future assets to cultivate in making them a better team.

Robinson will be too expensive for us now that we have Yannick in tow for a likely extension, and the Bears starting out 5-1 and atop that division (for now) makes that move even more improbable than Julio IMO.

Thielen, maybe if we can afford him. But still it would’ve been doubtful. I doubt Minnesota gets got two deals in a row in such a short span by us.

At this point I doubt we even have the financial ability to trade for Jamison Crowder contract wise until/unless those grievances clear up.

Whereas Williams has already had his roster and signing bonuses paid out for this season. He’s only got his roster bonuses to worry about in the following two seasons. So this season we would only be paying him like 400k in salary for a top 10 DI impact. Diminishing returns or not even a 1st and 5th would be excellent value. If the Jets did it for just a 2nd, I’d bet fans for the Steelers and Browns would legit consider plotting assassination attempts against the Jets front office.

Edited by diamondbull424
Wrong name 😂

There needs to be no more 'Trade Talk' shaming in this forum lol.

At this point, it's hard to think of players we haven't been in on. The "Stop talking about Clowney, Nagakoue, etc" crowd needs to zip it for a good long while 🤣.

EDC can't keep his hands to himself, and as a fanbase we have to acknowledge that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

There needs to be no more 'Trade Talk' shaming in this forum lol.

At this point, it's hard to think of players we haven't been in on. The "Stop talking about Clowney, Nagakoue, etc" crowd needs to zip it for a good long while 🤣.

EDC can't keep his hands to himself, and as a fanbase we have to acknowledge that. 

Yeah. I never would’ve imagined that we would successfully trade for Ngakoue. Not at this point. Especially not for just a 3rd.

I got to be honest, this trade, reminds me of that duck joke that goes (depending on the variation):

A duck walks into a bar and asks "Got any grapes?"

Bartender says "What? Grapes? No, this is a bar, not a fruit store. Get out, duck"

Next day the duck comes back, "Got any grapes?"
Bartender says "Dammit duck, I told you to get out. Quit coming here asking for grapes or I'm going to nail your beak to a barstool.

Next day the duck comes back, "Can I borrow a hammer?"
Bartender is furious, "What's with you duck? Does this look like a hardware store? It's a bar! I don't have any hammers here!"

Duck grins, "Good. Got any grapes?"

Like DeCosta just goes around calling GMs up constantly asking if “x player might be available to trade for a 3rd round pick“ and they say “no.” He calls up 3 months later, “3rd round pick?” They slam the phone down saying “no” and then he calls a month later “3rd round pick?” And they’re like “Well actually... a 3rd doesn’t sound so bad.” 😂

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

It would be so funny if we found how DeCosta truly negotiates, and instead of this shrewd level headed assassin we picture he's actually this pathetic man child that begs and whines to other GMs- to the point of embarrassment. 

EDC- "Can I get Yannick for a 3rd?"

Spielman-"No, come on man that's ridiculous". 

EDC (on the phone)- "Pwlease. Pwleasey.. dawson creek crying gif «TwistedSifter

Spielman- "Jesus dude, fine, just stop that for F*(&s sake".

EDC- Gotcha GIF - Find on GIFER