2017 FF Soccer Draft Vote R1: roy vs lee/tex

amac

Vote on who you think would win the matchup. To vote post in the thread and specify who you think would win in bold. Anyone can vote, but votes for your own team won't count. Explanations encouraged

roysmyboy

vIlBjqj.png

vs

LeeEvans/Tex

H9Zeoez.jpg

roysmyboy writeup: 

I feel it is important for a team to be strong down the center and I think that is reflected in my team.  At the back, I have the best goalkeeper in the world in Manuel Neuer, who in addition to being elite at all the traditional goalkeeping traits, is also capable of quickly starting transitions from defense to attack and is the poster child for the "sweeper keeper" style, almost operating as an extra outfield player at times.  With my defense, I paired one of the best CBs in the world with a youngster who is quickly ascending.  Together, I think I have a pairing that is strong in the tackle, good in aerial duels, and comfortable on the ball.  And Matic provides additional defensive support in the midfield.

With Bliase Matuidi, I have him as my box-to-box mid who can serve as a link between defense and attack and doesn't look out of place at either end of the pitch.   His presence combined with Matic and my CBs allow my two FBs to bomb forward and I have two attack minded FBs that love to get forward (In Marcelo's case, arguably the best in the world at his position)

Robert Lewandowski will serve as my focal point in attack with his strong finishing and ability at holding up play and linking with his teammates.  Draxler will serve as a traditional winger with Silva being the player pulling the strings in the center (though I imagine my formation to be pretty fluid up top).  In the case of Thomas Muller, Bellerin providing width on the right can allow Muller to drift into more central channels and combine with the other forward players.  He's been known throughout his career as a goalscorer and while it has dried up for him a bit recently, he still puts himself in position to get chances and is underrated as a passer.  One of the most overlooked parts of his game is his intelligence.  His positioning and the timing of his runs frees up space for his teammates to operate him and also allows him to "ghost" into dangerous areas.

lee/tex writeup:

Our intentions for this draft was the mimic the Liverpool tactics from the 2013-14 season, where they slipped out of the title race at the death.

In goal we have arguably the best keeper on the planet today. His shot stopping, command of defence and distribution are all of the highest quality. I'd frankly be comfortable putting him behind that 13/14 Liverpool defence and make them title favourites. 

In front of him are two young, athletic, ball playing centre halves who are equally adept at playing full back. Boateng is known for his no nonsense, tough tackling style and his exceptional reading of the game, whilst Marquinhos is a modern day Cannavaro, someone of a smaller stature who more than makes up for it with timing and speed. 

At full back we have one of the most in demand right back in world football right now in Fabinho. Fast and powerful with an eye for goal, just like our two CBs he is adept at playing a multitude of positions in our side which just adds further flexibility to our side. Across from Fabinho we have the latest in a long line of products to roll out of the Clarefontaine academy, Raphaël Guerreiro. Stout in defensive and dynamic in attack with set pieces his trump card, the Portuguese international was one of the success stories of Euro 2016.

In midfield we have Victor Wanyama as our defensive midfielder. He has shown in his performances for Spurs that he is excellent at breaking up play and is a genuine powerhouse in midfield. Ivan Rakitic is a fantastic all round player who has great passing range and can contribute with goals and tackles equally, he provides a nice balance to our midfield. James Rodriguez will play in the Coutinho role of our midfield. With Wanyama and Rakitic being stout defensively, James can focus on distributing the ball and getting forward. James has an eye for goal and a set piece ability that can really add some goals from our midfield. 

The attack is the strength of our team. We have arguably the best pure forward in the game in Luis Suarez whose movement, passing and finishing abilities are such a problem to defend against. We've paired him with Mauro Icardi who is a lethal finisher and one of the best forwards in Serie A. Behind them we have Sadio Mane in the Raheem Sterling role. He is not going to be a played as 10 but rather will combine with the front two and run into the space that they create due to their movement. Sadio Mane has searing pace that can exploit any openings that occur. While he has limited Champions League experience his performance against the top teams in the Premier League more than proves that he belongs at the highest level. I think the speed and movement our front three would challenge any defense that it comes across. 

GKs are a wash. CBs probably are too, but if I was forced to choose one, I give a slight advantage to the athleticism of Tex and Lees. FBs goes to Roy. Matic and Wanyama are a wash, imo. It then becomes hard to compare. Probably the two top strikers in the world, who score for fun. To me, it comes down to liking the creativity of Tex and Lees midfield more. A front trio of Suarez, Mane and Icardi would cause more problems than Roys front trio, imo. This is probably the hardest game to rate, but I would Marginally take Tex and Lees team.

Here is our write up:

Our intentions for this draft was the mimic the Liverpool tactics from the 2013-14 season, where they slipped out of the title race at the death.

In goal we have arguably the best keeper on the planet today. His shot stopping, command of defence and distribution are all of the highest quality. I'd frankly be comfortable putting him behind that 13/14 Liverpool defence and make them title favourites. 

In front of him are two young, athletic, ball playing centre halves who are equally adept at playing full back. Boateng is known for his no nonsense, tough tackling style and his exceptional reading of the game, whilst Marquinhos is a modern day Cannavaro, someone of a smaller stature who more than makes up for it with timing and speed. 

At full back we have one of the most in demand right back in world football right now in Fabinho. Fast and powerful with an eye for goal, just like our two CBs he is adept at playing a multitude of positions in our side which just adds further flexibility to our side. Across from Fabinho we have the latest in a long line of products to roll out of the Clarefontaine academy, Raphaël Guerreiro. Stout in defensive and dynamic in attack with set pieces his trump card, the Portuguese international was one of the success stories of Euro 2016.

In midfield we have Victor Wanyama as our defensive midfielder. He has shown in his performances for Spurs that he is excellent at breaking up play and is a genuine powerhouse in midfield. Ivan Rakitic is a fantastic all round player who has great passing range and can contribute with goals and tackles equally, he provides a nice balance to our midfield. James Rodriguez will play in the Coutinho role of our midfield. With Wanyama and Rakitic being stout defensively, James can focus on distributing the ball and getting forward. James has an eye for goal and a set piece ability that can really add some goals from our midfield. 

The attack is the strength of our team. We have arguably the best pure forward in the game in Luis Suarez whose movement, passing and finishing abilities are such a problem to defend against. We've paired him with Mauro Icardi who is a lethal finisher and one of the best forwards in Serie A. Behind them we have Sadio Mane in the Raheem Sterling role. He is not going to be a played as 10 but rather will combine with the front two and run into the space that they create due to their movement. Sadio Mane has searing pace that can exploit any openings that occur. While he has limited Champions League experience his performance against the top teams in the Premier League more than proves that he belongs at the highest level. I think the speed and movement our front three would challenge any defense that it comes across. 

Another close match-up, more because of problems I see in both teams that I mentioned in the earlier match-ups than anything I'd think either team would do excellently.  Ultimately I think I'd give this marginally to roys

This was the closest one for me. Roys has the slight midifeld advantage as Silva will do more dirty work than James and is in better form. Lee/Tex could be great on the counter with those attackers. Raph could be left vulnerable in that setup but Muller may not be the one to exploit that. Both defenses are good. I think Lee/Tex attack is more likely to produce a couple goals and the quality pretty similar elsewhere

Going with Roy here by a whisker. I think he's got the backline/midfield to blunt Tex/Lee's counterattacks. Although I'm still not super convinced by his team going forward overall I think this matchup sets up well for him to be able to control the game and pick his moments to strike. 

Woops didn't realize I skipped this match up when initially voting.

I feel like if Roy had faster wingers, I would easily go for his team. However, I think without pace down the wings, its going to be tough to score. Muller is out of form. Draxler isn't playing as much. I don't think there is a lot of creativity in a Matuidi/Matic midfield. I feel like lee/tex's attack will be good enough to absorb any attacking threat from Roys team and they have the skill to score.

1-0 win for lee/tex

Archived