Week 7 General Discussion

RaidersAreOne

Just now, JAF-N72EX said:

It's crazy to think the Chargers have only reached the CC once during this period and 0 SB appearances. 

We've had some great teams but always seemed to fall on the wrong side of luck most of the time. Think we could have done better if they would have done a better job with building a strong oline the last 10ish years. 

That's another thing that makes Herbert even more impressive is we have been down our starting C, RG, and RT most of the year. The only lineman who is playing the position they were pegged for is the LT Tevi, who was at RT last year and arguably our worst lineman lol.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DannyB said:

I don't think it's not being a diva, I think it's because his production lags just a bit behind the top tier guys. He is probably a bit underrated, but he doesn't belong in the conversation of legit THE best receiver in the league. Is there someone you think gets more recognition than him, that he is better than? Maybe post-injury Odell I guess?

I posted this before.

Since 2017

K Allen.  337 recs 4144 yds 20 tds

M Evans. 246 recs 3953 yds 27 tds

D Hopkins. 360 recs 4643 yds 33 tds

J. Jones 315 recs 4728 yds 17 tds

M. Thomas 381 recs 4392 yds 23 tds

D. Adams 291 recs 3521 yds 30 tds

O. Beckham 197 recs 2683 yds 16 tds

A. Cooper 241 recs 3298 yds 23 tds

T. Hill 242 recs 3886 yds 30 tds

A. Robinson 189 recs 2339 yds 13 tds

Edited by Bearerofnews
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Zappaz said:

We've had some great teams but always seemed to fall on the wrong side of luck most of the time. Think we could have done better if they would have done a better job with building a strong oline the last 10ish years. 

That's another thing that makes Herbert even more impressive is we have been down our starting C, RG, and RT most of the year. The only lineman who is playing the position they were pegged for is the LT Tevi, who was at RT last year and arguably our worst lineman lol.

Yeah. Playing in the same conference with Peyton, Brady, and the Steelers for the last 20 years hasn't done them any favors either. That makes it tough on any team.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I think a lot of the people here (I won't say a majority, but I am capable of reading in-depth into the posts that were of any decent length) were victims of holding Herbert up against Tua (while making the assumption - and we'll see if that assumption turns out to be apt or not - that Tua was going to return to 100% of the prospect he was pre-hip-injury).  But you didn't have a ton of people here completely writing off Herbert, so much as just being so fervent that Tua was the superior prospect that they allowed that to tinge their portrayal of Herbert.  I saw a lot of people calling Herbert a Top 15-20 type QB and, more specifically, not getting why he was getting the Top 2 hype he'd been getting the year that he'd opted to return to Oregon for his senior season.  I don't think it's unreasonable for fans - even informed ones - to be off on a prospect by roughly a half-round (15-pick) standard-deviation.  Herbert's athleticism and as a result his blue-chip capability wasn't really in question ,it was whether he'd be able to put it together, which there were reasonable questions to point toward.  And, I'd wager, people likely saw a similar-ish prospect do what they believed (we'll see...but he's shown more signs than not) to be turning the corner, in Josh Allen and likely hedges on the probability that two such prospects doing it so close together wasn't likely (a misnomer, but I can see people wanting to buy into that narrative, silly as it maybe be).

PFF's guy were burying Herbert - while, for some of them, singing the praises of Jordan Love for many of the same flaws they attributed to Herbert.

I feel like people really saw Herbert as an avg qb and while its waaaaay too soon. He doesn't look anything like a avg qb. It was weird, because his stats and record at Oregon showed that he was not avg. I feel like 2 years ago, people were talking about Herbert as the #1 pick and tanking for Herbert. Than he went back for his last year to Oregon and i sincerely believe the Arizona game changed everyone's perception. He had a good combine and good senior bowl, all the measurables, the skillset, the size, athleticism, elite arm talent and strength. His knock was he was too quiet. I'm not seeing that in the Pros. He is developing into a real leader and more vocal.

I'm a believer in we'll see when there is more game tape and defenses have a tell for your nuances and habits. So we'll see what happens moving forward. But so far, 5 games in, Herbert looks very legit. I don't want to jinx anything, so ill hold back further praise.

Edited by Bearerofnews

3 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

I feel like people really saw Herbert as an avg qb and while its waaaaay too soon. He doesn't look anything like a avg qb. It was weird and his stats and record at Oregon showed that. I feel like 2 years ago, people where talking about Herbert as #1 pick and tanking for Herbert. Than he went back for his last year to Oregon and i sincerely believe the Arizona game changed everyones mind. He had a good combine and good senior bowl, all the measurables, the skillset, the size, athleticism, elite arm talent and strength. His knock was he was too quiet. I'm not seeing that in the Pros. He is developing into a real leader and more vocal.

I'm a believer in we'll see when there is more game tape and defenses have a tell for your nuances and habits. So we'll see what happens moving forward. But so far, 5 games in, Herbert looks very legit. I don't want to jinx anything, so ill hold back further praise.

His other knock was his fundamentals and mechanics. I was really worried about him starting with a shortened and weird offseason but he really showed his work ethic and intelligence in doing what he is doing now. 

25 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

We’re Chargers fans. We have nothing to feel guilty about. Soak it in.

I said it all pre-draft, if i was one of the top QB's I'd want to land in LA. If you guys improve your OL and your defense is healthy, you're a legit Super Bowl contender next year. Herbert is the truth. 

• Like 1