Week 8 Prospect Talk

rackcs

1 hour ago, Counselor said:

Wilson is playing against 1-5 Texas state... he’s done some nice things but he is about to get hyped to an unworthy degree I believe 

It's not just the gaudy stats (although he has dominated every week) it's some of the plays that he's making. 

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It's not just the gaudy stats (although he has dominated every week) it's some of the plays that he's making. 

Manziel made them too. He’s going to get over hyped. Fourth QB isn’t bad but he’s going to get eventually put up there near the top by someone watch.

5 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Manziel made them too. He’s going to get over hyped. Fourth QB isn’t bad but he’s going to get eventually put up there near the top by someone watch.

I personally think his ceiling in this years class is QB4, there's nothing he can do to surpass Lawrence, Fields, or Lance on my board unless Fields/Lance forget how to play football the rest of the year. I mean after the consensus top 3 guys it's not a great class and he's likely competing against Kyle Trask and Mac Jones to be QB4. Two of the biggest complaints about him coming into the year were his average arm strength and turnovers. Apparently he was dealing with injuries to his throwing shoulder and thumb last year and it really hurt his ability to push the ball down field. Now that he's at 100% he looks light years ahead of where he was last year on throws to the far hash and deep down field. 

He's a good athlete, with enough arm to make all of throws, accurate, and able to make plays out of the structure of the offense. Guys like that have had a ton of success in the NFL lately. Manziel made those plays too, was a 1st round pick, and might have been a decent NFL QB if he actually liked football and didn't get caught up off the field. 

I like his game. When I was watching him the other day he looked like a better version of Gardner Minshew. I could see a team like New Orleans, Indianapolis, New England, or Chicago taking a long look at him as a potential developmental QB of the future. Possibly even the Jets or Jaguars with their late 1st round picks if they miss on their guy at the top of the round. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I personally think his ceiling in this years class is QB4, there's nothing he can do to surpass Lawrence, Fields, or Lance on my board unless Fields/Lance forget how to play football the rest of the year. I mean after the consensus top 3 guys it's not a great class and he's likely competing against Kyle Trask and Mac Jones to be QB4. Two of the biggest complaints about him coming into the year were his average arm strength and turnovers. Apparently he was dealing with injuries to his throwing shoulder and thumb last year and it really hurt his ability to push the ball down field. Now that he's at 100% he looks light years ahead of where he was last year on throws to the far hash and deep down field. 

He's a good athlete, with enough arm to make all of throws, accurate, and able to make plays out of the structure of the offense. Guys like that have had a ton of success in the NFL lately. Manziel made those plays too, was a 1st round pick, and might have been a decent NFL QB if he actually liked football and didn't get caught up off the field. 

I like his game. When I was watching him the other day he looked like a better version of Gardner Minshew. I could see a team like New Orleans, Indianapolis, New England, or Chicago taking a long look at him as a potential developmental QB of the future. Possibly even the Jets or Jaguars with their late 1st round picks if they miss on their guy at the top of the round. 

There are definitely things to like about him. I just think the hype will be crazy. I could be wrong. But I think he will eventually be overhyped. 

1 hour ago, Counselor said:

There are definitely things to like about him. I just think the hype will be crazy. I could be wrong. But I think he will eventually be overhyped. 

That's typically what happens with quarterbacks though. I really don't see anyway that he surpasses any of the top 3 QB's in the draft. Although I could see him getting a little over drafted because the top 3 QB's will be off the board early, IMO so a team may reach on him so they don't miss on the last of the high level QB prospects. 

As of now with the Jets, Washington, and Jacksonville all looking like teams that are destined to be picking in the top 5, I think there's a realistic possibility that Lawrence, Fields, and Lance are all off of the board early. After that I think you could see a team like Minnesota, Atlanta, Dallas, New England, New Orleans, and Indianapolis seriously considering taking him. 

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

That's typically what happens with quarterbacks though. I really don't see anyway that he surpasses any of the top 3 QB's in the draft. Although I could see him getting a little over drafted because the top 3 QB's will be off the board early, IMO so a team may reach on him so they don't miss on the last of the high level QB prospects. 

As of now with the Jets, Washington, and Jacksonville all looking like teams that are destined to be picking in the top 5, I think there's a realistic possibility that Lawrence, Fields, and Lance are all off of the board early. After that I think you could see a team like Minnesota, Atlanta, Dallas, New England, New Orleans, and Indianapolis seriously considering taking him. 

How is Trey Lance a better prospect than Zach Wilson? 
Just curious as to how Lance is this sure-thing top 3 QB?

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah...not sure it's fair to ding Wilson for competition whenever he gets some praise.

Think everyone knows BYU isn't playing top programs week in and week out. It's not about the gaudy stats he's putting up though. Clear to see when you watch him he has a lot of traits/tools you want to see. 

I don't see him getting in the top 3 either. But if his mental makeup is good and he continues to build on what he's putting on tape, this is a 1st round QB.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MagicMT said:

How is Trey Lance a better prospect than Zach Wilson? 
Just curious as to how Lance is this sure-thing top 3 QB?

He has better physical tools and one of the most dominant years in CFB history last year. Wilson has played well for a 6 game stretch but put out some meh tape before this season.

59 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Think everyone knows BYU isn't playing top programs week in and week out. It's not about the gaudy stats he's putting up though. Clear to see when you watch him he has a lot of traits/tools you want to see. 

Clemson played a sharmin soft schedule last season and Lawrence struggled against the only two top tier teams that they played and he doesn't get knocked for it. Trey Lance played at a lower level as well and doesn't really get knocked for it either. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

Clemson played a sharmin soft schedule last season and Lawrence struggled against the only two top tier teams that they played and he doesn't get knocked for it. Trey Lance played at a lower level as well and doesn't really get knocked for it either. 

Weird how that works..isn't it?

As a team with a QB need, Wilson definitely intrigues me if we end up not being high enough for Lawrence/Fields. Big Lance fan but I'd want to see what type of coach we get as I do think having someone who will mold the offense to fit him and properly develop him will be crucial.

22 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Weird how that works..isn't it?

As a team with a QB need, Wilson definitely intrigues me if we end up not being high enough for Lawrence/Fields. Big Lance fan but I'd want to see what type of coach we get as I do think having someone who will mold the offense to fit him and properly develop him will be crucial.

The one thing that I will say though is that Lance/Lawrence dominated against lower level competition last season.Whereas Wilson was pretty up and down, thus not really considered a top prospect coming into the year. But it has also been reported that he was dealing with shoulder and wrist injuries last season so that probably played a part. And his arm looks significantly stronger this year now that he's healthy. 

I agree. I'd definitely be intrigued by Wilson in the mid to late first round at this point. I like Lance as well but he has definitely gotten overhyped, IMO. Tools are impressive and he put up insane numbers but that doesn't tell the whole story. I think fit and timeline for when he is expected to start will be huge for how Lance pans out in the NFL but unfortunately I also think it's realistic that he gets drafted really highly and ends up somewhere he has to play early on. 

If I'm a team like New Orleans I'd take a shot on Wilson in the 1st round like the Packers did with Love last year. 

I think another interesting scenario is if Jacksonville or New York miss on their guy with their first 1st rounder or if they don't love the QB that's on board of the big 3, if one of them waits and then looks to target Wilson with their second 1st round pick.

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Counselor said:

I have Rondale Moore top 10 on my big board currently. Too high?

Considering his size and his injury history, I really don't think he's going top 10. I think he'll go mid-first at the earliest but I'd expect him in the late 1st probably. Especially because this is obviously yet another talented WR class.